Thermo housing sensors?

350ep70gr

Member +
I am missing a sensor who goes at the thermostat cover in vertical angle faceing the firewall.Just at the end of the radiator hose. The wierd thing is i dont remember i had a sensor there at the past and i dont have a conection in the loom for this either? Could be a plug/bolt i am missing? And if it is a sensor there what is his job?:homer:
From the front side of the thermostat i have the 3 sensors (ecu,cluster,fan) installed.
Rep is waiting for the helpfull inputs :p as always..!

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
Can you get a photo Chris?

This may be of some use:

stat.png

Texx

Super Moderator
It's description is Temp. Detect Switch No.2, was the engine out of an auto? Could possibly be the temperature switch for the auto transmission?

350ep70gr

Member +
It's description is Temp. Detect Switch No.2, was the engine out of an auto? Could possibly be the temperature switch for the auto transmission?

No..was definatly from manual box.. and i cant remember i had a sensor there. Also i dont find any plug or bolt in my store that should be there...and i am left with an open port there. Should i block it?
Thanks in advance terry.

Chris

dac69er

Super Moderator
i believe there are 2 similar temp sensors on the thermo housing. one is for the dial on the instrument cluster and the other is something to do with the aircon

Texx

Super Moderator
If it's the same as this one, then the connector looks pretty big.

brakepadsanddiscs20985wx.jpg

brakepadsanddiscs20995fa.jpg

I can't see any harm in blocking it up for the time being if you haven'y got a sensor to go in there.

350ep70gr

Member +
i believe there are 2 similar temp sensors on the thermo housing. one is for the dial on the instrument cluster and the other is something to do with the aircon

My housing seems to have 4 sensors.
3 from the left side wich are the green one for the ecu,the one with the cable for the cluster and the small one for the radiator fun. But the case is from the other side on the thermostat cover i have an open port with tread inside meaning that or a sensor or a block plug goes there. From terrys diagram seems it is a sensor but how critical could bee if i just bock it cause i dont know whats the job for this sensor.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
If it's the same as this one, then the connector looks pretty big.

brakepadsanddiscs20985wx.jpg

brakepadsanddiscs20995fa.jpg

I can't see any harm in blocking it up for the time being if you haven'y got a sensor to go in there.

Ok i will try to block it. Are those fotos from an auto engine?
Can anyone confirm that he is not running or even have this sensor?

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
Those photos are from Jay's guide here:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422

As long as you've got a fan switch in there Chris and the cooling fan comes on when it should, then I wouldn't worry too much.

If the ECU doesn't get a coolant temperature reading, you'll either get a code if using a stock ECU or be able to check the CTS reading if using an aftermarket ECU.
If the temperature gauge doesn't work, then that will be another give away.

350ep70gr

Member +
Those photos are from Jay's guide here:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422

As long as you've got a fan switch in there Chris and the cooling fan comes on when it should, then I wouldn't worry too much.

If the ECU doesn't get a coolant temperature reading, you'll either get a code if using a stock ECU or be able to check the CTS reading if using an aftermarket ECU.
If the temperature gauge doesn't work, then that will be another give away.

Thanks buddy!i will block it and see from there! Rep added for the help.

Chris

RGM1800

Member +
thats the fan thermoswitch. that activates the radiator fan when the engine needs cooling. then deactivates the fan when the engine is cold. did you have the fan turning on always?

350ep70gr

Member +
thats the fan thermoswitch. that activates the radiator fan when the engine needs cooling. then deactivates the fan when the engine is cold. did you have the fan turning on always?

Havent test it yet buddy...iam about to do it...do you know what the other 3 sensors are for then?

Thanks

Chris

weeJohn

Lifer
From the back, 1st is fan switch, 2nd is ecu water temp reading, 3rd is the temp guage and the 4th is for air con.

It would leak water if left open but without that sensor your fan will run constantly.

RGM1800

Member +
From the back, 1st is fan switch, 2nd is ecu water temp reading, 3rd is the temp guage and the 4th is for air con.

It would leak water if left open but without that sensor your fan will run constantly.

ithink this is the right sequence from the back

fan switch>temp gauge>ect or the coolant sensor>aircon

btw whatdoes the a/c sensor do?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
my housing has a port that is blocked. you only have one missing plug ? if so it might be it.. i can TRY to take a pic of it if you want mate?

350ep70gr

Member +

I think this is the case...i put an other sensor there just to block the port and the fan was run constantly!
Apart from that ecu sensor works fine and same with the temperature gauge inside.
Anyone know what is the p/n for this sensor? 89428-? because i can find localy three diferent sensors for toyota starting by 89428 but have different numbers after that.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
my housing has a port that is blocked. you only have one missing plug ? if so it might be it.. i can TRY to take a pic of it if you want mate?

Thanks for the input sheldon! I have seen a photo of someone as i was searching about that and had the first from the left blocked.

Thanks anyway.

Chris