Help prevent you car being stolen.

Hi all,

I started this thread to help others prevent getting their car stolen from them.

It's basically a few tips to take note off.

- Don't post photo's of your car outside your house / workplace. Potential car thieves can investigate these photo's and can possibly work out how easy your car can be taken away. This might have been the case with Duff's car last week where his was advertised for sale and then stolen from his house:mad:

- Try not state on public forums where you live. - Keep it limited to what county you live in but if you don't state the town or estate then it might help.

- I get members sending me PM's explaining that they want X part but do not have paypal accounts. They ask me for my address for them to send a cheque / postal order and quite often I never get anything in the post or any more replies. - This is a stupid thing to do. A thief could type in my address into Sat Nav and bring him straight to my car:eek:
This is even worse in the UK where if I had somebodys address and postcode I can log into Google Street Maps and have a look at where your car is parked and can work out my best get away route in complete reality:haha:

- If your car has an alarm and immobilizer doesn't really offer the peace of mind it used to offer. Duff's car was not even broken into it was just pulled away:( If you are parking your car at your house check is it possible to park it sideways rather than straight in on the drive way. They wouldn't be able to pull your car up onto a trailor if it is parked sideways;)

- How about investing in some cctv for outside your house pointing on your car? At least you might be able to see who is around it. - Not even for theft reasons but for people who get there paint-work keyed etc...

- Invest in some of these http://www.sgwangacc.com.my/products/others/steering-lock-1.jpg

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/15897.jpg

- If you have gates into your house then close them and lock them at nights

That's all I can think off at the minute but if you have anymore tips please post them in this thread:)

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Park you car in gear, and if its against a wall turn the wheels toward's it as it make's it harder to pull it onto a ramp/trailor..

Some sort of stering wheel lock, i know there not good but it add's min's on to there time in taking your car an you could wake up in that min...

billybob

Untrusted Seller
good input there repped
ive one of these good investment to keep the scum away
presa-canario-0021.jpg

pockrockgtti

Member +
- Invest in some of these http://www.sgwangacc.com.my/products/others/steering-lock-1.jpg

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/15897.jpg

- If you have gates into your house then close them and lock them at nights

That's all I can think off at the minute but if you have anymore tips please post them in this thread:)

Only bother with a steering wheel lock if it covers the whole steering wheel. The type suggested above is pretty useless as its actually suprisingly easy to saw through a steering wheel with a hacksaw, and bend it out of shape to get the lock off.

And dont even bother using the gearstick-handbrake type lock as its
very simple to get off, most gear knobs are threaded on, so therefore all the theif has to do is unscrew the knob and the lock will slip off.

If you dont have an alarm, you would be better off going into the fusebox under bonnet, and pulling out the main efi relay and also the main fuse, it would take a theif ages to figure out whats wrong and would probably give up!!!

Derek

Lifer
Kill switch for the fuel pump make sure its well hidden.;) also a tracker would be a great investment. Take the ecu out if possible.

stuarty1

Member +
all them we small things can make such a big difference my mate has a alarm wat you can set 2 if eney one walk past it or close it goes of

1. Take a trip to you local electrical suppliers
2. buy a water proof outdoor socket and some cable
3. run said cable from socket to the fuse board inside the house
4. make a lead with a plug top on one end and a clamp on the other
5. only connect live wire inside plug top
6. connect the live wire to clamp at the other end of the lead
7. disconnect battery from the car
8. attach the clamp to the body of the car before you go to bed
9. go to bed and sleep soundly
10. ring the police in the morning to remove bbq'd scumbag from you driveway

corofin12345

Member +
chain your car to the ground.. and if you catch a scumbag trying 2 steel it.. knock him out.. earth him 2 the bench in your garage and practice your welding on him

clarkytrd

Member +
I sleep with my shotgun and rifle in my room.

First mod I bought was a full alarm system.

Anyway, My Glanza is on axle stands and is blocked in by a truck in a locked driveway lol..

Gryzor

Admin
chain your car to the ground.. and if you catch a scumbag trying 2 steel it.. knock him out.. earth him 2 the bench in your garage and practice your welding on him

the making of Ironman 3 ... how many have you caught now corofin, 3 or 4 ?

corofin12345

Member +
im fairly handy at the arc welding now.....3 and one nacker but its gone awfull quiet in there lately.. took out one last week.. now using him as a sump gaurd

Last edited: