cruise cam shims

Shorty

Member +
well i took the head to the engineer who has told me "you could fit a brick inbtween the cam and shim" any body got any idea how to raise the shim hights? iv heard rumours about yaris solid bucket being machined down or any one know the standard shim size for toyota shims? theres nearly a mm clearence so i have a huge gap to fill :(

any sugestions guys?
rep as ever for helpful comments

Iain@CRD

Lifer
There is a calculation for it that you need to follow very closely.

Firstly take note of all your clearences on the inlet and also exhaust side.

Once you've done that then you can see which are the problems.

The calculation is as follows:

N = T + (A - V)

T= Thickness of the old shim
A= Valve Clearence measured
N= Thickness of the new shim
V = desired valve clearence.

Your best using a digital Micrometer to measure the old shim thickness.

If you look at the shim buckets you will see edges that are lowered, thats so you can use a valve tool or a screwdriver if your careful to push down on the bucket and it releases the old shim, your best doing this with 2 folk and getting some sort of magnet too get the old one out.

Once you've done the calculation you take your result to Toyota and theyll make one as close to your calculation as possible, you can machine them down if there too big, that was the old way of doing it.

Like so:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/brand-new-halfords-professional-digital-vernier-/330459463280

I recently had to do this on one of my shims.

hkspower

Member +
hi mate..you can use an iner shim buckit or if you are building full race we here use uprated valves and this are 3mm longer and will solve your problem too.. don't run big shims on buckets..

Shorty

Member +
they the ones from zisco bud? what valves are they if not, cheers ian i may have to give that ago, im on a very tight budget as iv already spent loads on my rebuild lol its gettin silly now and the spec hasnt alterd that much from befor i started :(

Iain@CRD

Lifer
they the ones from zisco bud? what valves are they if not, cheers ian i may have to give that ago, im on a very tight budget as iv already spent loads on my rebuild lol its gettin silly now and the spec hasnt alterd that much from befor i started :(

Theres not alot you'd need to buy, its just time consuming mate.

Only thing you'd need to buy are the replacement shims and a Micrometer. The cams dont need to be taken out etc.

Is it all the shims or only a certain few? Any chance you can post up your measurements.

Shorty

Member +
engineer has the head and the cams atm bud :(

anyone got a part number for shims from toyota? or better camskill? as toyota southampton are shite!

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
i actually was meesing around with a set today when fitting the arp bolts the gap was huge with the cruise cams alright lol , i know the car they came out of had shims out of a 1 litre yaris solid ones definitely ,

also ill jump in on your thread too lol could you fit just one cam the intake one as the exhaust cam is fu**ed ,is it worth the hassle ??

Shorty

Member +
id of thought it would fook it up dude as they are ground and timed in to work as a set :( im sure id heard bout toyota yaris solid buckets, got a pic per chance pops??

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
id of thought it would fook it up dude as they are ground and timed in to work as a set :( im sure id heard bout toyota yaris solid buckets, got a pic per chance pops??

i dont this time lol,but ill get ya one maybe this evening or tmw ill text ya man and ask him to put up a pic

churcherj

Member +
there toyota in basingstoke mate dnt know if they would be any quicker

dealers are slow full stop! lol shorty cant you just fit your standard cams and get the cruise ones fitted at a later date when you have the measurements and the cash?

Shorty

Member +
no cause its at the engineers already so may as well let it all be sorted in one plus gave the oem spares to barretta cause his speedvision where kack, will get it sorted just needed info on what to get the engineers to do ;)

churcherj

Member +
no cause its at the engineers already so may as well let it all be sorted in one plus gave the oem spares to barretta cause his speedvision where kack, will get it sorted just needed info on what to get the engineers to do ;)

fair doos mate would be best to get it all done while its all in bits i suppose! bloody engineers, they should be able to think of summin :)

gedis

Member +

i would take couple of pictures, but gf is on hollidays :rockon: and she took the camera,
what i got them to do in is to use biggest yaris(1.0ltr) shimless buckets(size 68) and when thei were reseating the valves thei sat them in that bit deaper(think it was 0.5mm) also another thing you could do is to use 4age(16v) valves, it will give you +1mm on ex and +2mm on int oversize, also thei are longer than a 4e ones so can be mashined to take any size bucket, i'm going for an option 2 since i got free mk1 mr2 last week :drive: have the valves out inside 4e head already playing up with various cams, shims, gauges etc. to see whats the best i can do

Texx

Super Moderator
4E Shims:

4eshims1.png

4eshims2.png

1SZ-FE Lifters:

1SZFElifterpartnumbers.jpg