Why do you need winter tyres in the UK and Ireland - proof -)

gv1.3

Admin
no doubt about it, they do give better performance in the wet. Unfortunately most people find it too much of a hassle to swap tires for the winter months especially if their car is not a daily driver.

I tone my driving down if the conditions are bad so dont really need a huge amount of extra grip for wet weather as I am not in a rally car :) I did have winter tires on my car at one point and they were excellent.

snow tires are savage
i had a set on my jeep in the snow and in 2wd it could go a lot of roads other jeeps could barely go in 4wd
me and a friend had an old off roader with snow tires aswel and its was brilliant for driftin there was so much grip from the front:drive:
iv 2 steelies at home with snow tires for the glanza wen the snow comes ill be ready:cool:

Sparky

Member +
Your talking about on the limit driving there, if you drive like that on the roads you deserve to crash :)

But yea I see your point just dont think you can compare day to day driving with WRC :p

Where I say you I dont mean you personally dude so dont take offence ;)

Paul_JJ

Member +
I think it's nice to have snow tyres during the winter months in the UK! I personally have just 2 tyres Toyo Snowproxes S942, which I will put in Nov and take off in late Feb/March. I have a set of separate alloys for the winter and for the summer!

You don't have to go really fast as the WRC drivers do - to see the benefits of the winter tyres! And it might save your life one day!

For very strange reasons most of the English never heard about the Winter Tyres and consider them as the tyres for pussies. Unfortunately, because of that attitude MY insurance has gone up, because other people can't drive in snow and can't be asked to put the winter tyres! Just to let you know that it is a criminal offence in most of the countries in the World to drive on snow with the summer tyres!

It's funny to hear the radio about 70 mile queue because of couple of inches of snow! And of course everyone would blame the council for the lack of grit on the roads!!!

Rory

Lifer
Dont rate them at all, was in a terrible accident with a car that had winter tyres on the rear (was heavy rain)
No grip at all.

As above, Normal tyres on my derv and ill slow down when the weather comes in, easiest and cheaper solution. ;)

Derek

Lifer
They came in on my integra and they were shocking bad tyres no grip at all. That used to just spin the wheels in vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvtttttttttttttttaaaccccccccc.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Did you ask yourself a question how old were the tyres and what make???

I bet they were about 5 year old and something like Kenda or something like that! Even Falken Disappointed me! Used to have 7 year old Falken with 4mm tread and no grip at all! Put brand new toyo and have more grip in wet then any other Toyo or Dunlop Sport - summer tyres. They normally last longer than the summer tyres, so people keep them for years and even if you have a decent tread if the tyre is 3+ year old it wont grip!