blitz jam mines etc ecus what the big £ about

Chris@CCM

Member +
this is somthing i just cant get my head round tbh , ive seen lot of cars with this type of ecu and im yet to see one that real works well with the car its on . from what ive seen they dont self learn much if any thing on boost fuel wise or timing wise , ive seen carsblow up with them on at 1 bar on small ish turbos (td04s k24s) you have no way of knowing what there going to be like till you fit it to your car , you cant ajust it in any way. my pal just put a ep91 jam ecu on ebay and got 650 pounds i was shocked that some one would pay this , for that money he could have a very good standalone ecu that can be ajusted in every way built in 2.5 bar map sensor , run any coils etc u want , will fit any car , heres the spec of one of the eces you could have for that sort of money have a read and tell me y you would spend ur money on a jam ecu over this

Trigger Types:

• Hall Effect

• Optical

• Inductive Magnetic Reluctor

Trigger Patterns:

• Single Pulse per cylinder

• Multi-tooth

• Bosch Motronic

• Ford

• GM

• Honda

• Mazda

• Mitsubishi

• Nissan Optical

• Subaru

• Toyota

• Volkswagen

Features:

• Windows 2000, XP, Vista compatible software

• Real time programming, instant hesitation free adjustment while engine is running

• Fully user definable 16 x 16 mapping

• Tuning via Volumetric Efficiency (VE), Injection time

• Selectable onboard internal MAP sensor rated to 150kPa (up to 1.5 Bar or 22psi boost)

• USB and CAN Communication Port

• Custom sensor calibaration allows for most factory sensors to be used

• 2 x User programmable outputs

ECU Fixed Outputs:

• 4 x Fuel Injector outputs (for high impedance injectors only

(ie: above 8Ω)

• 4 x Ignition outputs

• Tacho

• Thermo Fan

• Fuel Pump

ECU Programmable Outputs:

• 2 x Programmable Outputs

ECU Inputs:

• Air Temperature

• Aux Rev Limiter

• Coolant Temperature

• Manifold Absoloute Pressure

• Roadspeed

• Throttle Position

• O2 Sensor (Narrowband or Wideband)

Functions:

• CAN Communication

• O2 Control

• Over Boost

• Gear Setup

• Decel Cut

• Transient Throttle Enhance

• Rev Limiter

Correction Tables: Fuel / Ignition:

• Air Temp Correction

• Barometric Correction

• Coolant Temperature Correction

• Injector Dead Time

• Map Correction

• Post Start

• Prime Pulse

• Wide Open Throttle

• Zero Throttle

Miscellaneous:

• Tune can be password protected in software

• Small and compact design

• Rugged anodized aluminum casing

Steve GT

Member +
well i cant be much help on this

im a big fan of the plug and play ecu's i think there fabulous and a hell of a lot of people i know love theirs too. iv had both a mines and blitz plug and play and payed £400-£500 for them. the difference they make is so good its unreal IMO.

but i believe they work so well on the ct9's and hybrids only. anything over 1bar of boost off a ct9 however id reccomend something like an EMU or blue

they say they dont self learn but they do slightly adjust to mods as you put them on. iv run mine from being totally standard right up to all stage 1 mods and incresing boost quite high and the ECU has powered it brilliantly every time

Big big fan and would reccomend to anyone lol

Jay

Admin
You're not allowed to berate and devalue them until I've sold my Sard and Mines on.. lmao

Good discussion topic BTW. Let the games commence!

gv1.3

Admin
Interesting thread Chris, rep added.

Moved to tech section as I think its a valid thread that people looking for ECU options should take a read of.

To raise a point that might be on peoples minds, and get it out of the way... You tune ECU's so you would say that fully adjustable piggybacks and standalones are better options as they provide you with a source of income from tuning.

So with the above said and out of the way, is there any scenario that you can see where one of these plug and play units might be a good option or are you 110% of the opinion that a piggyback or standalone are always a better option?

I am of the same opinion you are by the way and I think its a healthy and interesting conversation to have on here. I am playing devils advocate with my comments above as I know people might be thinking it but want to make sure that they know this is your honest opinion and not just one made out of thoughts of your business :)

My feeling on plug n play ECUs is this. As far as anyone has ever been able to tell me these units are setup by JAM or whoever based upon the mods on the car they are going on to. Back in the early days of this website there wasnt nearly as many options for ECU's as there are now and they were not as affordable and then you had to try find someone to tune them for you. The plug n play ECU's were considered a good alternative given the lack of options. These ECU's started to fetch stupid money and a lot of people told tales of them overfueling etc. They did in some cases remove fuelcut, speed limiter and had a higher rev limit so it was a little more than just a more aggressive map. There was never a huge amount known about these other than they were a stock ECU with a daughterboard that did a little trickery.

So... maybe we can get some discussion going here and get peoples honest opinions.

Has the day of the plug n play ECU for the EP come and gone? Is there still a place for it when there are so many alternatives and people to assist with tuning?

kieran.s gt

Member +
I agree 650 is crazy money when it cant be mapped but I wouldn't say there a waste I think most people buy them so they don't have to pay to get it remapped every time they add mods which can get expensive.
iv ran standard ct9 ,hybrid ,and td04 at 1.2 bar on mine and never had any problems with it and has saved me money on mapping going between turbos .
Obviously re mappable ecu like above is much better but until I am 100 % finished with engine mods then I would get it mapped.

Chris@CCM

Member +
yup can see what ur saying pal if the price was say 200-250 i could see a place for them for guys running the likes of ct9s at 1bar but even at that ive seen ecus like this being so far out of tune the cars are missfiring and low on power , some do work ok but alot dont and i think its a big risk to be spending 500+ pounds on somthing that MIGHT work ok . a good standalone ecu is only as good as the tuner but you can ajust almost every thing and any tuner not just me or the dealers for them can tune them , if the owner wanted he could fit the ecu as there not as bad as you might think to get wired up and im sure theres some guys out there would love to tune there own cars too

Chris@CCM

Member +
I agree 650 is crazy money when it cant be mapped but I wouldn't say there a waste I think most people buy them so they don't have to pay to get it remapped every time they add mods which can get expensive.
iv ran standard ct9 ,hybrid ,and td04 at 1.2 bar on mine and never had any problems with it and has saved me money on mapping going between turbos .
Obviously re mappable ecu like above is much better but until I am 100 % finished with engine mods then I would get it mapped.
when you change somthing like a turbo the ecu should be remaped but small changes are fine , u might find the ecu was so rich to start with the it left room for bigger turbos if you get me , some one with a good understanding of whats going on could make small changes to the ecu with out the need for a tuner to remap it

Steve GT

Member +
deffo dont think the day has come and gone on these

i see them coming up for sale now and again and getting snapped up straight away for serious money. they are in their rarety compared to the readily available Emanages say

I think the biggest appeal with them is that in a quick 5 minute ecu change these little ecu's can change the whole characteristics of your cars performance. Removing the 180kph top speed limit straight away is much easier than faffing about with a mph converter and also it adjusts your fuelling and removes the fuel cut at 0.75 bar of boost. this is a better way of getting round the fuel cut issue than the FCD and RRFPR combination which to some is considered the "crude" way of doing things. Other benefits to the plug and plays is it improves the top speed, improves mid range torque and get better acceleration

All this from a quick 5 minute ecu change.

The reason why these appeal to so many people as well is its a good, reliable and easier way to achieve the magic 200bhp mark with all supporting mods. a simple change to one of these and your well on your way to breaking that mark.

Conclusion
200bhp at 1.1bar on a CT9 or hybrid <<< these babys are the best choice :)

Chris@CCM

Member +
i would love to have a back to back dyno with stock ecu and aftermarkit on a ner stock car , i think alot of this might be a placebo effect

turtle_dove_300_tcm9-148969_v2.jpg

jam35

Member +

ive got to agree with you there, i had a jam ecu on my v when it cam from japland and to be honest there was no way i was going to sell and fork out £600+ for an emanage and then have the hassle of finding a decent tuner to map it at extra expense ontop.

now i feel at the moment because the price of emanage has gone down so much over the last 2 years.i mean you can pick up an emanage ultimate for around 450-500 so that inturn makes the likes mines, blitz ,jam etc not so valueble imo.
when i have my next ep there is no way i would pay 650 for a plug and play ecu because of this, even though they are a good piece of kit.
the other pluus point i suppose is that you dont have to worry about finding a reliable tuner to amp your car just have the fueling checked and away to go.
@ dylan i would not say the days of plug and play have gone i just think some of the people selling them at the moment ***cough**** jay need to drop there prices in relation to what else you can now get for your money.

gv1.3

Admin
I would like to see actual dyno sheets showing increased performance and better fueling after one of these has been fitted to say a mildly modded car on a ct9.
Anyone got anything to show these sort of figures? ITs kind of like when people say "I fitted an airfilter and it feels faster"... Id prefer concrete figures.

cameroon95

Member +
I have a SARD ecu on my glanza, ct9-1 bar and it does the job fine.

If your mate bought one for 650 then to be honest, he's been ripped off. The going price is around 450 thesedays.

@gv1.3

I fitted my sard ecu with standard boost at first and I can definately say there was an improvement- a real one. It's in a different league from the likes of an air filter.

sanchez

Member +
I totally agree with Chris on this one.

I could never understand why people would pay £500 odd pound for these ECUs, i think it madness, when as you say you could buy a decent standalone, or even a second hand emanage blue or ultimate and still have enough money left over to get it mapped to your car specifics.

Another reason is you can get the same results can you not from the standard ECU and some supporting mods (FPR, FCD etc) for say £300 odd even for buying them brand new and getting it set up on a rolling road.

gv1.3

Admin
was just using an airfilter as an example mate. I have zero personal experience of plug n play ecu's just what I have read about them. The back to back dyno sheets would be really interesting to see.

Steve GT

Member +
Chris i put one of these ecu's (mines) on a stock starlet totally standard and it did improve its performance. i believe that some have said theres a 20-30bhp difference but i havnt tried it but theres deffo an improvement. its when you start adding mods though like relocated filter, full exhaust system, FMIC you really notice a big difference

@ gv1.3

at the UKSC Monster Motosport rr day i pulled 154.4 bhp on the dyno with hardly any mods at all. FMIC and reloacated air filter was it. still had the stock mani and catalytic converter on as well boost was set at 0.6 bar :)

Jay

Admin
i just think some of the people selling them at the moment ***cough**** jay need to drop there prices in relation to what else you can now get for your money.

Innocent your honour..

Have never sold one or intend selling one. Mine are both happily in use. Besides I could not willingly ask that sort of coin.

A brief history lesson shows that such things are at the mercy of the market. Rewind the guts of a decade and these units were scoring £100~200 on the Jap auctions. Knowledge of them wasn't high and it's only due to random units being found amongst the imported Starlets that people started to catch on to what they did. Even so the usual rumour mill worked it's magic (often a problem with anything EP-related) and those with access to the auctions started paying whatever it took to get these ECUs. This had a knock-on effect to the landed prices and market value started to creep up.

In such a senario value becomes based solely on what people are willing to pay.

You could then apply the term 'people are stupid' to this structure and BANG - you got £650 prices.

Jay

bumblebee

Member +
Innocent your honour..

Have never sold one or intend selling one. Mine are both happily in use. Besides I could not willingly ask that sort of coin.

A brief history lesson shows that such things are at the mercy of the market. Rewind the guts of a decade and these units were scoring £100~200 on the Jap auctions. Knowledge of them wasn't high and it's only due to random units being found amongst the imported Starlets that people started to catch on to what they did. Even so the usual rumour mill worked it's magic (often a problem with anything EP-related) and those with access to the auctions started paying whatever it took to get these ECUs. This had a knock-on effect to the landed prices and market value started to creep up.

In such a senario value becomes based solely on what people are willing to pay.

You could then apply the term 'people are stupid' to this structure and BANG - you got £650 prices.

Jay

lol

bumblebee

Member +
this is somthing i just cant get my head round tbh , ive seen lot of cars with this type of ecu and im yet to see one that real works well with the car its on . from what ive seen they dont self learn much if any thing on boost fuel wise or timing wise , ive seen carsblow up with them on at 1 bar on small ish turbos (td04s k24s) you have no way of knowing what there going to be like till you fit it to your car , you cant ajust it in any way. my pal just put a ep91 jam ecu on ebay and got 650 pounds i was shocked that some one would pay this , for that money he could have a very good standalone ecu that can be ajusted in every way built in 2.5 bar map sensor , run any coils etc u want , will fit any car , heres the spec of one of the eces you could have for that sort of money have a read and tell me y you would spend ur money on a jam ecu over this

very interesting topic..i have no experience with either as am still working on my project but...repped!! :rockon: