VERY interesting brembo set up....

Johnny_C

Lifer
spotted this over on dtdirl by member import_trung who is fitting bremos to his ae111 bzr levin.

ok,
just spent the past 3 hours in my garage mocking up a new brake setup for my bzr.

it involves:
1: 4pot brembo calipers
2: 305mm disc
3: bzr hubs
4: 3mm spacers
5: a round file
6: it all bolts on!!!!!!!! no fancy machining, no custom parts, all OE
ok, managed to take pics of the brake kit.

1st, take a pair of sss ae111 hubs. you can either remove or cut back the backing plate. i decided to remove it.

IMG_9720.jpg

next, have a pair of 305mm discs to hand. because they are 4x98 you have to file the holes outward 1mm. this allows it to fit onto the hub.

good thing about the discs, they are pillar vented so dissapate heat better.

prior to mounting them, you need 3mm spacers to put between the hub and the disc. this is to space the disc so it sits
in the centre of the caliper

IMG_9722.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

placed behind 15inch wheels, they fill it comfortably, but no space for the calipers.

IMG_9714.jpg

IMG_9713.jpg

next up, the brembo calipers. they are from a fiat coupe 20v turbo. no modification needed to these at all.

IMG_9723.jpg

time to fit the calipers. as you can see, they bolt holes line up perfectly, it was like it was made for the ae111.

IMG_9727.jpg

IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_9729.jpg

IMG_9726.jpg

you can make out the disc in relation to the caliper/pads. dead centre.

IMG_9730.jpg

all bolted on, ready to roll.

IMG_9731.jpg

IMG_9739.jpg

a few more pics of the clearances.

IMG_9738.jpg

IMG_9737.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

i will be fitting them to my car once my current brakes are totally knackered. in about 4-5000miles.

i also weighed the new brake setup, the calipers are very light considering their size, and help offset the extra weight of the disc.
i haven't weighed the stock components to compare, but i dont think the new setup will be much heavier than the stock setup.
they will be weighed once i do the conversion on my car.

heres the disc

IMG_9733.jpg

and the caliper and nearly new pads. forged aluminium means they are very light for what they are.

IMG_9732.jpg

7.9kg for the disc and 3.8 kg for the caliper and pads.

11.7kg + 100g for 3mm spacers = 11.8kg per side

watch this space for some brake distance stopping tests

so surly if we can make win pots from a levin fit,this shouldnt take that much more effort.

animal gt

Member +
there lovely brakes but i dont think there needed unless your tracking your car,even drag racen or that mine stops prity wel on just groved 3gs.always said id like bigger brakes but now i dont see much point in them, they defo look the shit doh:D

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
mmm my friend has a coupe turbo might go annoy him tomorrow he dont drive it no more lol

scot-ish

Member +
looks a tidy setup, just a pitty im running 15's. as they wont fit eh.

and although 3m is small, im not too keen on fitting a spacer between hub and disc.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
so what or how would u make these fit a starlet which usually runs 15 inch rims??

as been said earlier i find yellowstuff pads and uprated discs with braided lines and 5.1 fluid adequate,
but woudlnt mid upgrading as i track mine a bit, and cracking is a small issue on some uprated discs.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
there lovely brakes but i dont think there needed unless your tracking your car,even drag racen or that mine stops prity wel on just groved 3gs.always said id like bigger brakes but now i dont see much point in them, they defo look the shit doh:D

You could do drag racing on standard brakes though. Tracking it is a massively different beast.

Johnny_C

Lifer
they wont fit 15s unfortunatly as stated in my post.
i have 15s myself,and wont go any bigger again as my cars handles great with the 15s,so i think ill be looking into the twin pot kit myself.
just posted it as i thought it may be of use to someone.

bumblebee

Member +
Sweet! But the ae111 super strut suspension is hard to find as its a well known upgrade on most toyota cars

Do the Brembo kit come with carriers?

If so..i can jus buy the kit and disks and should bolt up to the ep...correct?

Johnny_C

Lifer
Sweet! But the ae111 super strut suspension is hard to find as its a well known upgrade on most toyota cars

Do the Brembo kit come with carriers?

If so..i can jus buy the kit and disks and should bolt up to the ep...correct?

at a guess,and from what i took from the rest of the thread,you dont need the sss hubs,the brembos will bolt to the starlet ones too.

from what i read youve still got to get a different suspension set up so wont this come to a good 600 pounds them calipers second hand still go for around 200 300 unless you buy from a mug,as my friend wants some for his punto gt, and are they any 305mm dics its proberly stated but i cant see it

but great find shows it can be done if somones rich enough play with all 4pots and see what bolt on and tell us plez haha

weeJohn

Lifer
from what i read youve still got to get a different suspension set up so wont this come to a good 600 pounds them calipers second hand still go for around 200 300 unless you buy from a mug

Do you need a different suspension set up?

As the standard Levin calipers bolt directly onto EP hubs, will the 4 pots not bolt onto EP hubs?

sx_turbo

Lifer
15s will fit just need longer studs and another space. Providing you use hub centric spacers should be fine

Johnny_C

Lifer
from what i read youve still got to get a different suspension set up so wont this come to a good 600 pounds them calipers second hand still go for around 200 300 unless you buy from a mug,as my friend wants some for his punto gt, and are they any 305mm dics its proberly stated but i cant see it

but great find shows it can be done if somones rich enough play with all 4pots and see what bolt on and tell us plez haha
whats so hard to understand,if levin ones bolt to an ep hub,so will the brembos,as they will bolt to a levin hub!

15s will fit just need longer studs and another space. Providing you use hub centric spacers should be fine
15s wont fit the 4 pots,look at the disc behind the wheel in the pic!

sx_turbo

Lifer
sorry read it wrong, was on my phone at the time so didnt look at pics.

i read it as if it needed spacers to push the wheel out further to fit the calipers, my bad