5e?? is it worth it

pig666eon

Member +
ive now set a budget to forged a engine and thinking of going 5e. now ive done the research so i know whats involved in doing it but im now thinking just going forged 4e. appart from the slightly quicker spool up and the odd few extra horses there is not much difference

im thinking really in the long run parts, things going wrong and the costs that maybe the 4e is the way to go. dont get me wrong i can have a larger budget its just from other posts i dont see the dramatic difference between them.

if im totally mistaken please free to fill me in as that is what im looking for but what i have read and maybe im looking in the wrong areas i dont see it to be worth the extra hassle

any input will be appreciated thanks

just take a read of the sticky
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?9694-Whose-done-a-5E-Conversion
it basically covers a lot of stuff concerning the 4e vs 5e

they are both great engines with pros and cons

what i would advice you to do, if you can....is take a ride in a properly set up 4e and a similarly set up 5e
this would give you some kind of basis on which to decide

those extra 166cc make a noticeable difference

Last edited:
ive now set a budget to forged a engine and thinking of going 5e. now ive done the research so i know whats involved in doing it but im now thinking just going forged 4e. appart from the slightly quicker spool up and the odd few extra horses there is not much difference

im thinking really in the long run parts, things going wrong and the costs that maybe the 4e is the way to go. dont get me wrong i can have a larger budget its just from other posts i dont see the dramatic difference between them.

if im totally mistaken please free to fill me in as that is what im looking for but what i have read and maybe im looking in the wrong areas i dont see it to be worth the extra hassle

any input will be appreciated thanks

They can handle bigger turbos and are a bit more torquey at low revs but its seems tat a lot of 5e's fail due to oil pressure being too low, and arent as relaible?

Id recomend the engine tat was put in d gt 2 begin with the mighty 4efte:rockon: it has a higher rev range and can handle pretty much the same big turbos tat are used in 5es
and u can combine some of the 5e parts 2 up de power too...

5efhe cams and inlet manifold et:cool:c.

pig666eon

Member +
just take a read of the sticky
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?9694-Whose-done-a-5E-Conversion
it basically covers a lot of stuff concerning the 4e vs 5e

they are both great engines with pros and cons

what i would advice you to do, if you can....is take a ride in a properly set up 4e and a similarly set up 5e
this would give you some kind of basis on which to decide

those extra 166cc make a noticeable difference

yeah ive seen that and thats exactly my point is the gains really worth the hassle? it makes a noticeable difference but does it justify doing the work and after work?

pig666eon

Member +
They can handle bigger turbos and are a bit more torquey at low revs but its seems tat a lot of 5e's fail due to oil pressure being too low, and arent as relaible?

Id recomend the engine tat was put in d gt 2 begin with the mighty 4efte:rockon: it has a higher rev range and can handle pretty much the same big turbos tat are used in 5es

yeah they spool up a bit quicker but we are talking say around 500 rpm, more torque right but as above it the difference that much better? people are doing it to squeeze everything they can out of the efte engine but the gains to me seem marginal abit like a port and polish not much gains but needed to get the last few horses out of the engine. im not comparing the gains there btw just ref

billybob

Untrusted Seller

arent as relaible?
lol thats a load of bull .oil pressure lol mate state facts please seen more 4e shit thereselfs

billybob

Untrusted Seller
yeah they spool up a bit quicker but we are talking say around 500 rpm, more torque right but as above it the difference that much better? people are doing it to squeeze everything they can out of the efte engine but the gains to me seem marginal abit like a port and polish not much gains but needed to get the last few horses out of the engine. im not comparing the gains there btw just ref

fellas do yous have 5e conversion or is it yous reading or or hear say ?
i know alot driving 5es all 100 percent saying a hell of alot better than 4e .power wise and driveablty better engine on boost .

J25GTi

Lifer
From driving mine for less than half a mile I'd say it is. Its a lot nicer to drive off boost than the 4e. I didn't get to try it on any type of boost before the big ends died

dac69er

Super Moderator
a lad i know with a forged 5e running a vf series turbo at 1.5 bar or possibly more told me he had as much fun with a stock engine running a td04 at 1.1 bar.
he told me it was a good little project, but he would never do it again. would have been cheaper for him to have run a stock engine and just replaced it 4 or 5 times if it blew up.
he uses his car on the track too.

this is the very reason i am going with a stock engine and a td04

pig666eon

Member +
From driving mine for less than half a mile I'd say it is. Its a lot nicer to drive off boost than the 4e. I didn't get to try it on any type of boost before the big ends died

haha here we go with the rep junkie

yeah man thats the info im looking for i know you couldnt hit boost but there was a big difference there yeah? i can get both blocks atm for roughly the same money but from a simple swap to a conversion i want to make sure it worth the extra hassle. in fairness the forge both will cost the same anyway.

from what you noticed in the brief few drives you can feel a big difference?

J25GTi

Lifer
I got one drive :( but yeah, off boost it was so much nicer to drive. You don't need to cane it get it to go.

I'm glad I did it just from the few seconds I got to drive it. The mechanic even commented on how much nicer it was to drive than when it had the 4e in it.

Just a shame I haven't got to try any boost yet! :(

When budgeting, make sure you have put a lot more aside than you thought. As its never just that simple lol.

Do it :)

pig666eon

Member +
a lad i know with a forged 5e running a vf series turbo at 1.5 bar or possibly more told me he had as much fun with a stock engine running a td04 at 1.1 bar.
he told me it was a good little project, but he would never do it again. would have been cheaper for him to have run a stock engine and just replaced it 4 or 5 times if it blew up.

well dude as above im building either a 4e or 5e again both can be done for the same money but you reckon that the gains and the hassle wasnt worth it? see i can build a forged 4e and then its a simple drop in no fucking about but to justify all needed to fit a 5e and have it running is it really worth it?

the 4e is a great engine but is the 5e that much better? if someone where was to get on saying it was the shit way better than the 4e and well worth the time ect then i would have no prob doing it and not kill myself if something goes wrong down the line

pig666eon

Member +
I got one drive :( but yeah, off boost it was so much nicer to drive. You don't need to cane it get it to go.

I'm glad I did it just from the few seconds I got to drive it. The mechanic even commented on how much nicer it was to drive than when it had the 4e in it.

When budgeting, make sure you have put a lot more aside than you thought. As its never just that simple lol.

yeah see thats exactly what im looking for you have the hardship of it all and can still swear by it.

i know dude budget goes out the window in most cases and i couldnt dream of putting a figure on it so i will just take it in steps ect did you say you werent running some kind of management?

J25GTi

Lifer

well dude as above im building either a 4e or 5e again both can be done for the same money but you reckon that the gains and the hassle wasnt worth it? see i can build a forged 4e and then its a simple drop in no fucking about but to justify all needed to fit a 5e and have it running is it really worth it?

the 4e is a great engine but is the 5e that much better? if someone where was to get on saying it was the shit way better than the 4e and well worth the time ect then i would have no prob doing it and not kill myself if something goes wrong down the line

Just for the off boost driveability and lower spool times its worth it :)

J25GTi

Lifer
I'm not running any management yet, that's not why it failed though, it was built wrong when I bought it. Which has resulted in 4 fucked bearings, a fucked crank and some fucked rods.

Which is why I didn't boost it.

I might sell mine when its done depends if I can find the inspiration to carry on

yeah see thats exactly what im looking for you have the hardship of it all and can still swear by it.

i know dude budget goes out the window in most cases and i couldnt dream of putting a figure on it so i will just take it in steps ect did you say you werent running some kind of management?

bumblebee

Member +
I'm not running any management yet, that's not why it failed though, it was built wrong when I bought it. Which has resulted in 4 fucked bearings, a fucked crank and some fucked rods.

Which is why I didn't boost it.

I might sell mine when its done depends if I can find the inspiration to carry on

When you say it wasnt built right, what do you mean? It wasnt torqued properly?

J25GTi

Lifer
Yeah, not torqued correctly and a possible bodge on one of the bearings. And whatever else I find today when I strip it down

pig666eon

Member +
Yeah, not torqued correctly and a possible bodge on one of the bearings. And whatever else I find today when I strip it down

one of the main reasons i want to build it myself. im sure when its rebuilt there will be a very big smile on your face dude and it wont be going anywhere haha

cheers for that here i might give you a pm sometime about some of the issues you had if any if thats ok? just so im preped for it i know there is dozens of tutorials but nothing on what can go wrong ect and steps to prevent it

J25GTi

Lifer
Yeah that's no problem. It goes to my blackberry anyway so I'll be able to replu whenever :)

Drop me a message with anything you need!