LSD in real life, user expriences...

churcherj

Member +
ok so ive read the countless threads on LSD's, particulary the kaaz and quaiffe units, and im very interested in the quaiffe atb to improve the feel of my EP. now what i really want to know is, how well do they put the power down on a straight? im running 218bhp and 190ft lbs of torque and say in second on full chat it spins up a fair bit until i get traction and i really want it to be useable power. would the LSD help this? or are they more suited for cornering and "pulling you round" them? im abit of a novice when it comes to LSD so any user experiences would be appreciated and repd...

ive also heard the quaiffes torque steer like mad and are quite harsh in a straight line?

ktl

Member +
Im running a Quaife ATB and im running 270hp 225torque and it still spins up in 1st and 2nd. Its the corners where its at. You go round a bend plant your foot and pulls you in even more. Best handling mod and very noticeable. If your intrested and want more info about prices give me a pm. Also Quaife is lifetime gauranteed. And Does not torque steer and its never been harsh. you dont even no its there.

faisalgtturbo

Member +
the best is oem lsd ... i have a trd mechanical diff and its fucking daft i am gonna put the oem one on

if i gave my car to anyone else to drive it would be written off..lol because how much it torque steers!!

faisal

danb87

South East England Area Rep
Im running a Quaife ATB and im running 270hp 225torque and it still spins up in 1st and 2nd. Its the corners where its at. You go round a bend plant your foot and pulls you in even more. Best handling mod and very noticeable. If your intrested and want more info about prices give me a pm. Also Quaife is lifetime gauranteed. And Does not torque steer and its never been harsh. you dont even no its there.

where best place too buy these eric?

churcherj

Member +

thanks for the info mate, will send you a PM 2moro when im home :) i just find putting power down is abit shit at the moment, 3rd onwards is fine but 2nd is not so good really.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Same as others have said mate, really notice it in the bends. I found it helped reduce wheel spin in first and 2nd a lot too. I was running 1.4bar on a td04 circa 270bhp.

ktl

Member +
church, at 230hp it was still spinning in 1st and 2nd with the diff. Again its the bends where it comes to play. But im sure it puts more power down in a straight then to not having one. IMO the best handling mod.

churcherj

Member +
Same as others have said mate, really notice it in the bends. I found it helped reduce wheel spin in first and 2nd a lot too. I was running 1.4bar on a td04 circa 270bhp.

they do sound quality, gona fit this along with a lightweight flywheel if i do it! should transform my starlet im hoping! i really need a spin in one with a quaiffe! anyone near southampton wana let me have a go? :) haha

church, at 230hp it was still spinning in 1st and 2nd with the diff. Again its the bends where it comes to play. But im sure it puts more power down in a straight then to not having one. IMO the best handling mod.

i would imagine it would but i thought the diff would help it alot?

sanchez

Member +
I got a KAZZ LSD on my GT, almost no wheelspin at all in 1st gear, but does spin a little in second from what i remember of driving my car in dry weather lol
Not really driven it too much, but sometimes feel it drags you across road when flat out

I had a TRD 1.5 way mechanical diff. It was immense in the corners and gave excellent traction off the line too. The only thing is when driving hard you need to have both hands on the wheel on an uneven road because if there is a dip and one wheel goes into it then it will pull the car in that direction but I would imagine MOST LSD's do the same. Also, from what I have been told, a helical LSD is crap in the wet and snow but a mechanical LSD still works properly in the wet and snow, why this is I cant remember. I know nothing about the Quaife ATB, I dont even know what ATB stands for or how they are any different from the other types

td04 project:)

Member +
great link ktl, ive been thinking about a lsd since ive got more power now but they do look rather pricey:( did you get yours new from them?

ktl

Member +
yes mate straight from Quaife. But i know a person who knows Quaife himself so i got it cheaper then what they advertise it for. plus more people the more £ i could get off.

td04 project:)

Member +
I will need to see if santa is good to me and mybe leaves me a big wad of cash under my tree lol cause im defo interested in this mate:)

ryan-11

Member +
I had a TRD 1.5 way mechanical diff. It was immense in the corners and gave excellent traction off the line too. The only thing is when driving hard you need to have both hands on the wheel on an uneven road because if there is a dip and one wheel goes into it then it will pull the car in that direction but I would imagine MOST LSD's do the same. Also, from what I have been told, a helical LSD is crap in the wet and snow but a mechanical LSD still works properly in the wet and snow, why this is I cant remember. I know nothing about the Quaife ATB, I dont even know what ATB stands for or how they are any different from the other types

x2, i also have a trd mechanical lsd, one of the best mods ive done, i had my car running 1.5 bar on a td04 for a few years without an lsd used to wheelspin and torque steer like mad, put the lsd in, made a huge diffrence, the grip was immense and helped with the torque steer too.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
The quaiffes really are awesome, put it in and forget about it, require no more maintenance than any other gear box. You don't even know its there till you need it, I've heard some diffs can be noisy, clunky and harsh. Nothing like that with the quaiffes atb's.