Apexi Safc Query.

danb87

South East England Area Rep
Right, had a safc fitted today. all fitting diagrams etc was used. just curious too know on apexi info, it says not too wire in the knock sensor. an on a lads thread on here hes got it fiited.

any one shed some light on this for me please. also i haven dont any setting up on it as i have no idea how too, will any tuners be able too do this? is it a lengthy thing too do.

rep is waiting for your replies guys.

cheers
dan

Rev

Member +
For fueling the safc2 took him about 5 mins ( he was extremely fast ) to put a full basic map in the safc2. On the dyno he did one run plotting existing fueling ( which was overfueling ) ; and then two runs to improve the fuelling and presto I had 1.8x the hp I started with but he only tuned on boost. Make sure your tuner tunes low revs as well as he on boost I think this is important with a Starlet..

I would recommend having your car in good shape before the dyno -eg. clean air filter, good quality fuel filter, radiator coolant , thermostat , plugs , leads , distributer, oil type and levels checked etc.

Last edited:

danb87

My tuner said don't bother with knock monitor it is no good. It was not wired in. It took him about 5 mins ( he was extremely fast ) to put a full basic map in the safc2. On the dyno he did one run plotting existing fueling ( which was overfueling ) ; and then two runs to improve the fuelling and presto I had doulble the hp I started with.

I would recommend having your car in good shape before the dyno -eg. clean air filter, good and clean fuel filter, radiator coolant , thermostat , plugs , leads , distributer, oil type and levels checked etc.

cars in good shape, had a rebuild last summer, an have done barely 2000 miles since, an i have the safc 1 i belive. im assumin most tuners will be able too help with the setting up? an yea the knoch sensor wire was not wired in. thanks

danb87

had one and played a bit with it. looks easy to set up, + or - % for every rpm point

i dont really understand them mate so gota find a tuner who has some experince with them as dont wana do it wrong lol plus how do you get the air flow etc working? does it have too be set up for that too work? as flickin through channels it has the pressure work, an thats it. revs are kinda workin but very slow which i assume cos it has oo be set up. but air flow doesn do nuffin. which i thought it would as its a air flow converter.

plus the settings have been all reset too how they are from factory.

Just looked through the manual and it says airflow will only work on engines with air flow meters (hot-wire/flap). The starlet has a map sensor instead of a maf sensor.

I can't explain the rpm measurement problem, the wiring instructions state that either rpm signal feed is good, i used rpm1 (pin 7 on the bigger ecu plug) when I wired yours in. This is the signal from the ignition coil.

danb87

Just looked through the manual and it says airflow will only work on engines with air flow meters (hot-wire/flap). The starlet has a map sensor instead of a maf sensor.

I can't explain the rpm measurement problem, the wiring instructions state that either rpm signal feed is good, i used rpm1 (pin 7 on the bigger ecu plug) when I wired yours in. This is the signal from the ignition coil.

lol i have no idea what that is dude, i can only assume it has too be setup for it too work all properly. etc.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
which safc you got? you have the manual with pinouts? and you got an ep82 or 91? so i will match the pinouts for you and see if you did them fine. also your using an fcd with it inline?

SAFCFCDWiringDiagram-1.jpg

That is the wiring diagram I used, without the purple knock sensor wire.

danb87

which safc you got? you have the manual with pinouts? and you got an ep82 or 91? so i will match the pinouts for you and see if you did them fine. also your using an fcd with it inline?

as said by james this his how it was installed. done a great job aswell. an yea the fcd is also installed.