msdignition good for heavily modified starlets!

Barretta

Member +
I'm looking to upgrade my coil and ignition system. Any members here using any msignition systems? I seen a few starlets heavily modified using then! People sometimes focus to much on upgrating turbo kits, forged etc and etc! Which obviously is so important for big power! Some of us use upgraded spark plugs and leads for better spark on the engine combustion chamber! But a better ignition system like msignition will be good for better spark and therefore more power! I would like to know which set up would be good for track starlet? Comments please?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
people dont usually worry about it as the stock system is pretty good anyway.

for 90% of people the stock system in god order is plenty good enough. only the small 10% could possibly benefit from an uprated system

sx_turbo

Lifer
what do people do about crank triggers?

all ecu's i know of need some kind of crank trigger and variable tps, i know most people tend to use the auto tps, just wondered what they do about the crank trigger,

i assume you take the trigger from the disi

dac69er

Super Moderator
you could probably take a trigger from the dizi. or i am sure i have heard of someone either adapting or getting a replacement bottom pulley with a pickup on it for the sensor.

my friend used a different pulley off another fiat when he upgraded his ecu in his uno turbo, dont know if there are any pulleys that would fit the starlet that have a trigger pickup though!?

sx_turbo

Lifer
the california emmisions 5efe has a crank trigger built into the oil pump, the 4e and 5e can share oil pumps so this is somthing else to look into

that may work if you have the same oil pump type as that particular 5efe
but are they not 2 oil pump configurations??
so it may not work for everyone

maybe someone can clarify

Barretta

Member +
Just had a pm from billybob who is currently using ms coil packs and he's feedback is: Coil way forward!
Need to find out what is the full set up is using?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
The stock ignition system is quite good, I'd only look into upgrading it when going above 340hp or 1.7bar boost.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Thats the idea going for above 340hp!

Coil packs are the way to go then.

What ECU are you using? Some can use the stock triggers successfully, though a crank sensor is the absolute best way to go in my opinoin, saying that I just use the stock trigger.

Barretta

Member +

What ECU are you using? Some can use the stock triggers successfully, though a crank sensor is the absolute best way to go in my opinoin, saying that I just use the stock trigger.

using hks pro gold

D3N0

Member +
If you want to achieve a high power car thats consistently reliable at high RPM over time, you will definiately need to change ignition setup. Stock coils dont last long when push to limits and can get very hot, eventually leaning to failure. Before dreaming up about uprating the coils on your beast, have a look at what ECU you are running. The ECU is the most important addition to your cars, it will determine how your car will react to mods you apply. A £250-450 emanage will not support individual coil setup, and even when changing to a bigger single coil. you wont have nearly as much as control over it as you would with a standalone. The cheapest effective way to go, would be the latest megasquirt. At our university weve implemented the megasquirt to vauxhall 2.2 turbo engines in the engine dyno cell with impressive options and reliability results. self mapping is a breeze. Most know i have a Haltech PS1000, hopefully i'll get a chance to wire it in when uni is finished in June. Then i'll see what my beast can really do.

Toyota T23

Member +
Friend is running 2,2 bar and 415hp on stock ignition, so dont se any need to change it, to something that is made en china :)

weeJohn

Lifer
Biggest advantage of using individual coils is they only have to dicharge once every rpm compared to 4 times for the stock coil. If you want to run a high rev limit then thats the way to go.

Billybobs using coilpacks, oh dear, its another secret out lol.

Chris@CCM

Member +
I've 4 cop coils with built in igniters here u would think there made to fit a starlet as for crank triggers Ner all ecus will run on the stock cas u can mod the wheel in the dizzy if not it's easy hell I've even got a hks f con pro v sitting here To run them

Last edited:

Chris@CCM

Member +

Even if u put a crank wheel on it u will still need a reset on the cam unless u want to run wasted spark taking away the advantage of direct fire simples ;) eeeekkkk