A Guide On How To Remove Air Con Evaporator (Pictures Included)

Jaf_ep91

Member +
Hope This Helps Guys, Not Got Names Of Every Item but Pictures Show What I Mean,

You Will Need: A Flat blade Screw Driver, Star Head Screwdriver, 10mm Deep Socket, Ratchet With Extension And Of Course A Tin Of Monster :beer:

I Did This And It Took Me No Longer Than Half An Hour, I Went Back To Do It Again To Get Pictures For You Guys And IT Only Took Me About 20 Minutes.

Step 1

Remove Glove Box, 4 Bolts Drops The Box Out, 2 On The Inside When You Open It, And 2 Just Under The Box Shown In Pictures, Once Bolts Are Out A Bit Of Gentle Persuation And The Box Will Come Out, Remember To Dis-Connect Speaker!
2BoltsTopOfGloveBox.jpg

1BoltUndersideOfBox.jpg

1BoltUndersideOfBox1.jpg

Step 2

Remove Ecu, Unplug 3 Wiring Connectors, and Remove 1 Bolt and 1 Nut Shown In Picture
ECUWiringPlugs.jpg

ECUBolts.jpg

Step 3

Remove Sensor That Is Mounted Into the Front of the Evaporator Box, 2 Screws Shown In the Picture
SensorBolts.jpg

Step 4

Remove Black Box Mounted Just Under The Evaporator Box, Simply Slides Off The Bracket It Is Fixed To. Wiring For Box Runs Across The Top Of The Evaporator Box; Unclip It From Box And Pull To Side.
BlackBox.jpg

Step 5

Remove 2 Nuts On Underside Of The Evaporator That Mount It To The Body Of The Car, Remove The 2 Screws That Fix The Evaporator To The Heater Blower Motor And Matrix, Shown In Picture.
2NutsUnderside.jpg

2ScrewsTop.jpg

Step 6

Split Evaporator Box by Removing Clip in the Centre Shown In Picture. Slide the Evaporator Box As Far Forward As You Can Get It. (Towards the Rear of the Car)
CentreClip.jpg

Step 7

With A Bit Of Persuasion You Can Drop The Box Slightly Down And You Can Get The Evaporator Out. Shown In Picture. This Can Be Quite Awkward but Can Be done. Once It Is Out There Is 1 Last Wiring Plug To Be Dis-Connected.
Condenser.jpg

Step 8

Replace Evaporator Box Back into the Space, Better to Put the Top Half of Box in First and Then Locate The bottom Half In. The Wiring Plug Removed From The Evaporator Its Self Sits Neatly Out The Way.

Step 9

Replace ECU and Wiring Plugs.
BuiltBackTogether.jpg

Step 10

Replace Glove Box Remembering To Connect Speaker Back Up!

Evaporator Removed:
RemovedCondenser.jpg

Hope This Helps Guys, It Doesn't Save All That Much Weight But If Your Going Extreme With Weight Saving Every Little Helps! :haha: