Improve your engine knowledge

dark_knight

Member +
good one

nice one mate.. :) very.. :D just noticed i'd been reading up on it a few days ago from my browser history.. great minds my man. great minds.. :D
repped!

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Good info, exhaust technology is probably the best place to get power gains in most motors, it will melt your brain but trying to fit the ideal results into a Starlet engine bay but lol.

dark_knight

Member +
stock FPR = RRFPR

@mr2turbored: i didn't know that about the rising rate regulators in our stock cars either. repped! :)

yeah all turbos are set up that way.

set a base fuel pressure at 0 pressure like 38-42psi is toyota normal range, then it'll drop as car is in vaccum but then for ever 1psi of boost the fuel pressure increases 1 psi.

when setting up an adjustable one you need to work out max pressure because alot of injectors go none linier and start sticking over 70psi pressures , so if base is 42psi, max boost you want to run is 28psi. if you want more you just lower the base slightly.

but for example we had an mr2 come in where i setup the FPR in the workshop, little did i know the alternator was playing up only putting out 12 volts. anyway few weeks later alternator failed and was replaced so then made the correct 14volt, but this increased fuel pump effciency and raised the fuel pressure to 60psi base. few weeks later the car would start going massivly lean above 1 bar boost. checked it all and found 1 bar boost was seeing 74.5psi and making the injectors stick. tested the injectors to make sure no damage was done, reset base to 42psi and tweeked the map and all was good again. but just showing an example of pressure increase and effects on injectors

Tim :)

weeJohn

Lifer
well remember all fuel pressure regualtors in turbo cars are Raising Rate. even standard

Thats why they are hooked up to the inlet manifold, they respond to manifold pressure.

You can get aftermarket jobs that increase fuel rail pressure at a higher rate than stock items, to help with higher boost applications, thats probably what the mean in that article. The Walbrough 255 pump should be fit to hold up to whats needed for a 4EFTE.

yeah normally there a 1:1 ratio. ie 1psi boost 1 psi increase in fuel.

the typical one is the FSE valve, which is 1.6:1 but i personally can't stand them. just makes mapping a pain in the arse. a normal 1:1 is perfect so no need to go for the FSE. there not very good quality either

Paul_JJ

Member +
yeah normally there a 1:1 ratio. ie 1psi boost 1 psi increase in fuel.

the typical one is the FSE valve, which is 1.6:1 but i personally can't stand them. just makes mapping a pain in the arse. a normal 1:1 is perfect so no need to go for the FSE. there not very good quality either

I agree on FSE FPR - absolute shit, bought used and the bastard cracked after a few days..... was pissing petrol everywhere, good job I don't smoke - lol