2E FE build

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
Well, tried to replace my carbed 2E engine in my 89 boxy starlet to 5EFE powersource, but discovered the bearings where slammed out and inrepairable distroyed of the fresh bought engine (not that much paid)
Inrepairable becaise the heat welded the bearing shims into the crank. Head and so on is very good, as pistons.

My plan now:

From 2E engine i use:
Block, crank, rods, tranni, clutch, starter and so on

From a 5EFE with distroyed crank bearings i use:

16V Head, pistons (to be pressed on the 2E rods) Timing gear, Intake and exhaust manifold.

Extra things needed: 2EE or 4EFE ecu, wiring harness, electric fuel pump and some thicker fuel line, petrol catch can in engine bay to insure fuel supply in the longer curves.

The cilinders have to be bored to 74mm (are 73)

At the moment busy with flowing the head. Just fitted the 5E head on a 2E block, fits straigh away with oil and water holes etc.

Keep you posted.

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
My bench
Foto-MGEDND37.jpg

head flowing
Foto-GDKEOIAR.jpg

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
Well well, what a huge responding on this thread.

Anyhow, did some further things on the engine.
Made my own copper HG, pressed 4E pistons on the 2E rods, ordered ACL duraglide bearings, polisched crank tappets, and assembled the lot.

Foto-6HMQQRES.jpg

Foto-BFFDLYZ4.jpg

Foto-3ROFLZKD.jpg

2012-01-04%25252021.50.35.jpg

2012-01-02%25252021.41.04.jpg

2012-01-07%25252011.42.18.jpg

2012-01-07%25252012.07.19.jpg

2012-01-07%25252012.06.57.jpg

Placed fuel pump on firewall instead of in tank, hole in tank to small for it. Some things to bo before firts start

GP82

Member +
Great work there! :cool:

What material is the headgasket made from?

The fuel pump placed at the firewall will have to work hard
to suck fuel all the way from the tank as opposed to pushing
fuel into the engine. Is there no way you can modify it to fit
intank? Or you could use the stock 2E pump intank together
with the pump on the firewall.

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
Thanks !

HG is of 0.8mm coppersheet, sawed it out and dremeled the edges. After that annealed with butane torch. Now the engine will have a CR of 1:10

The pump is a small cinqecento unit (denso!) tried to mount it all in the tank but the 45mm hole is still to small. Someone else on dutch forum has a 4EFTE is a EP71 also with pump on firewall with no problems, even on long curves no fuel surge.

GP82

Member +
Good stuff! You will know how it runs once you get it started,
but should be good. Worth getting the fuelling checked with a
wideband once it's up and running just to make sure all is good.

mad_max926

Member +
wow that looks pretty smart! is your cambelt cover see through? looks proper decent wish i new some one to teach me how to build engines, good luck mate

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
Yes have a simple narrow band check AF meter build in dash, but should get a wide band indeed. I checked the former setup (carb and catalist! ) with a AF meter, discovered it was not the best anymore after 160000km's

pulled about 50 hoses off the old carb setup! Will post some pics of it. :)

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
The engine block is bored and twice honed, the first machine shop did the job not well enough, a friend rehoned it nice and tidy, fortunately the first honed it slightly smaller as had to be (2E is 73mm, 5E pistons need 74mm, honed to 73.98mm, now it is 74.04, exactly 0.08 mm piston play)

Some pics:

2012-01-07%25252009.32.37.jpg

Made a nice stop on the 2nd camshaft instead of the plastic one

2012-01-07%25252009.34.23.jpg

Foto-C7XRRNRD.jpg

Timing: fiddled that out, had to lathe the oil pulley otherwise it would touch the housing. Crank pulley is 5E instead of 2E, oil pulley is 5E and belt is from 4EFE, iddler wheel 5E, tension wheel 2E. LEGO all the way

Used (rolls royce spec) hylomar for assembling the HG. Here you see it presses out after torqueing

2012-01-02%25252021.01.56.jpg

The old engine needed some attention: carbon built up, runned allmost as a diesel at that oil consume. (valve seals rotten)
It runned lean between 2k and 3.5k revs and heated up too much.

Foto-H8QZ4EZY.jpg

Foto-XGPJIB3E.jpg

All these hoses came off the old carb setup!:
2011-11-18%25252022.52.19.jpg

Timing belt cover is customised from lower 2E part and upper 5E part, and a looking glass

blokjei.jpg

The wiring harness is combined from a EP81 and my EP71 version.
Foto-WBMWRCHW.jpg

Foto-HPA8IKNJ.jpg

Need to add a vehicle speed signal: customised my speedometer with a reed relay pickup of a corolla

speedsensor.jpg

Also a check light has to be added on wiring, and some more alterations. Me is stupid, but it is so much fun to rebuild an engine. I like my starlet and want to keep it, but with an upgraded engine, so why not

rage

Lifer
i'm overwhelmed with all the great responses to a complete custom build like this that started for the first time!

the tiny dutch starlet forum has a lot more responses :(

a grand total of 5..... responses since the start of the build

Skalabala

Member +
toyonut buddy. That is some neat work :)
I was told that the oil and water ports do not line up when I wanted to do this :(
At least now I know if you want to know something you have to see for yourself!
It will be best if you get a stand alone management :)

If I were you I would have gotten this.
Click Crank

What are you going to use for signal pick up for the computer box?
You will need a 4efe distributor?

toyonut

Fresh Recruit
Thanks!
The crankshaft was in a very good shape, could be re used. (all journals -0.01mm) Polished the journals with 1000 grain waterproof sandpaper & thin oil to allmost high gloss:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-BCT3XKXK.jpg

Ignition is from 5EFE, complete engine loom from a EP81 is braided into the EP71 wiring and combined.
ECU will be a 2EE, 180cc 5EFE injectors with adjustable fuel pressure. It runs so sparks fine, the ECU and wiring should be fine.

Hi Alex!

Skalabala

Member +
But why did you not then build a 5E buddy?

And just a slight heads up. A crankshaft should be put into a regrind machine and use the right polishing wheel.
Crank and polishing wheel spinning in a certain direction.
But the method you used does work :D