fte vs n/a final drive

96v

Member +
anyone have any knowledge of these?

does the n/a have a 6 bolt final drive? as im quite sure the fte has and 8 bolt!

im having trouble with my quaife and wanted a bit of info :)

mech5107

Fresh Recruit
As the final gear bolts on the diff, i don't think that it can be fitted...
But probably the same ration can be found in other toyota boxes, like corolla

96v

Member +
the problem i have is that i went to get my quaife fitted, but it turns out i might have and n/a box with the 6 bolt diff
my quaife has the 8 bolt fitment and i have got hold of a glanza final drive with the 8 bolt fitment so my question is wether it would work in the n/a box or not?

mech5107

Fresh Recruit
No i get your question.

I'm not sure, but i'd say yes, it's possible.
In the EPC there is the same part number for the diff bearing, so the diff between N/A and turbo boxes should be interchangeable.

In my opinion though it's better to get a turbo boxes, as it's better suited to torque characteristics of the 4efte...

Try getting another opinion though...

96v

Member +
i hope you right mate, lol!
im gna be stuffed if it doesnt fit :S
apparently the inners are all but the same, the only very slight different is the smallest change in the gear ratio's i was told!

so hopefully all c series boxes will have all interchangeable parts!

repped anyway bud :)

anyone else with any experience on this? :)

96v

Member +
so in a way im screwed then?

what i dont get is why i would (as it seems) have an n/a box on my glanza :S

unless someone put an n/a diff in the box?? would that work? lol!

weeJohn

Lifer
Early GT and n/a boxes came with a 6 bolt diff and a metal rather than alloy casing over the end. I dont know for sure but I think all Glanza boxes had the alloy end cover so it sounds like someone has swapped boxes at a time.

96v

Member +
would the diff then fit into an early gt box if i was to swap the final drive over?

im not sure what the hell has gone on, but my mechanic who has the car at the moment found a glanza 8 bolt final drive, bolted it to the diff and has put the gearbox back together so im guessing all will be fine? hasnt driven it yet as im waiting for the flywheel to turn up but shouldnt be a problem i would think?

i guess this would then mean it would be fine for n/a owners to get the quaife (or any other lsd) and a glanza/later gt final drive and do the same?

weeJohn

Lifer
If he has it together it must fit then, but I was sure the crown wheels were a lot thicker on the 8 bolt diff and it didnt fit mate.

96v

Member +
lol, im unsure of what has gone on to be honest mate :s

judging by the fact he has got it back together without any problems it must be ok? i think the only problem he had was with the final drive being as i said the 6 bolt instead of the 8 that i needed for the quaife! didnt mention the thickness of the crown wheel and this guy has over 25 years experience working with toyota's so im assuming wouldnt bodge it together :S

weeJohn

Lifer
No harm in asking him what he did in detail, you can tell him that a few people on a forum want to do this job and wanted to know whats needed to do it.

Sounds and looks like he knows more about it than me so he is the man to ask!!

96v

Member +
I will ask him mate, fingers crossed I get to pick my car up on the teusday so will find out then :)

I'm still a bit confused as to what box I had wether it be an n/a or early gt? Would that make a difference to the fitting of the diff?