D2 coilovers or K-Sport Coilovers?

Monty

Member +
Have a choice of which coilovers i want. I cant afford Teins etc so no comments suggesting any other brands as its simply not affordable at this moment in time, maybe in the future.

Which would be the best for scottish road use, K-Sport coilovers or D2 coilovers?

dac69er

Super Moderator
they are basically the same so whatever you can get cheaper tbh. think the D2s may be a little bit better as they have teflon on the threads and maybe a few other differences. nothing worth worrying about though

lanxter

Member +
seen both and both look good.

Ksport are made by apex not far from us been to there place a few times and have to say they look like a serious bit of kit

ryanerak

Member +
anyone know what the ride is like with the D2's or K-sports fitted? I'm looking at both aswell. I want a reasonably firm ride but nothing too hard as the car will be used everyday. any other suggestions? im not wanting to spend more than £550 really.

Cheers

Michel4AGE

Fresh Recruit
Sorry for the bump, was searching on Ksport experiences here.

I've got the Ksports on my GTi (ae92) and use it for trackdays, also bumpy tarmac (Nordschleife). It's very good, not to stiff as long as you don't give them too much preload/rebound. I'm still fiddling around with the setup. For daily use I have them on 100% soft and it's great, just a bit harsher then OEM. For track use I turn the knobs 2 times towards stiff which is enough to give a more direct feel. On a smooth track you could get away with 100% stiff but maybe it's a bit overkill.. on the Nordschleife the car will break in two for sure lol.

potge

Fresh Recruit
From what i have read i am not 100% sure that you really need coilovers. Also since its an everyday ride you must be really aware of the compromises of such a kit (unless you buy them with softer spring rate). Another point. If you have plans for something better (or of more known brand if you prefer eg tein, trd) then again buying a d2 or ksport will be a waste of money (though i think you wont really change them afterwards).
So my opinion is, to move into another suspension mod suitable with coilovers -such as rear arb, anti lift,new bushes esp if you havent done for a long, camber nuts/plates, a bit stiffer spring rates etc- and postpone coilovers for later (since other mods might satisfy you equally for less money).
In case you really need coilovers/your current shocks are dead buy the one you can find cheaper since they are probably equivalent kits-if not same with different color- though d2s are a bit more known.

Bullet00th

Member +
D2 :)

I've got the D2 coilovers on mine i think they are amazing! Some good deals on ebay at the mo for them. i got mine for £400. really easy to set up too. :)

Gord R

Member +
As many have mentioned , im 99% sure they are the same item coming out of the same factory in Taiwan , just rebranded.

Toyota T23

Member +
seen both and both look good.

Ksport are made by apex not far from us been to there place a few times and have to say they look like a serious bit of kit

D2 and k-sport are made by 2 brothers in malaysia, in same building.
Just different colors...

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah they are made by the same company, Apex are just the official dealers. They are okay for a budget coilover setup and you can specify what spring rates you need, I'm glad I haven't heard the famous comment "coilovers are too hard for the road", as you know you can have any spring rate, if you wanted to you could replicate the stock suspension with coilovers not that you would want to do that!

Both D2 and K-Sport are not bad at all, personally I would go for Koni adjustalbe and WL springs but for the money you can't complain, they won't be the best but they will do the job none the less..

T

starbogt

Member +
I run kyb blue with some sort of uprated springs and my ride is hard I had a ride in EP82(alex's) car with D2's the other day and the ride wasn't set as hard as mine is, he can obviously alter his so made it more comfortable to me but the ride heights available are brilliant. I'd have a set when I get some cash.

Red Hot

Member +
I think there great. Not to expensive and high quality specifications.

Everybody one here keep saying that there nice, but they thing jdm coil overs are better. If I'm right, the bought the coil over design from HKS.

Spring rate can be customised and dampening is adjustable.
If it last just as long as, for exmple a cusco coil over. Why should the cusco be better?
(with the same spring rate and dampening)