Suspension Mods - Must Have's And When It Become's Too Much?

Gee

Member +
Hi all,

What are the 'must have' suspension modification's on a everyday Starlet?

And also, when is too much bad on a road going Starlet?

I have read some suspension modifications can cause ill effects on the Starlet, which mods are these?

Currently I have (some might not be directly suspension related, but effect handeling):

D2 coilovers
Whiteline anti lift kit
Cusco panhard rod
Section engine damper
TRD engine mounts
C-pillar brace
Toyota rear strut brace

What else is recommended?

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Lower Arm Bar ? I have one definalty helped with wheel hop and strenghtened traction. I know that it makes the ride very bumpy if the road surface has pot holes or slight ditches. For the duals and Motorway its mint i deal with it and overall 8/10 for me.

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Good topic Gee.

I've found there's a stage where road holding is compromised by the road surface. This is usually evident as soon as coilovers are fitted but it would be good to hear peoples' experiences..

I've retained the stock shocks and springs on my daily driver as they offer comfort and aren't in poor enough condition to replace.

On the track car however I've fitted the whole hog - cusco zero-1 coilovers, braces all round and have some whiteline stuff to add.

riko666

Member +
There was an uber handlign thread from the old forum that I and Hardcoreep detailed a lot of handling modifications that could potentially improve the car's handling

Saying that, Polyurethane bushes all round (and metal bushes for the rear axle) will reduce standard "vagueness" in vehicle reactions, though it will make for a harsher ride, lower arm brace will quicken steering response but at the expense of TERRIBLE height clearance, Front & Fender braces will stiffen the front end of the car's frame for less squirm and for quicker handling response, at the expense of potentially increased understeer

Gee

Member +
Think I am going to also go for replacement TRD bushes.

Is the rear arb bar a must have on the Starlet? Think I have heard they make a whole lot of difference?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Think I am going to also go for replacement TRD bushes.

Is the rear arb bar a must have on the Starlet? Think I have heard they make a whole lot of difference?

i have heard this too but havnt driven or even been in a car with one fitted.
im considering this as one of my next mods!?

dac69er

Super Moderator
ive replaced everything so far apart from the rear suspension bushes and the front balljoints, but will do them eventually.

just wanna add some extras that should improve matters!

dac69er

Super Moderator
tbh track coilovers like the versions of the D2s me and Gee have arent very well suited to certain public roads as they are just too harsh and dont work properly.
get on a decent bit of road though and they are very impressive.

i do think for the road you dont want too hard a suspenion setup and you want a bit of flex in the chassis, so dont go over the top with stiffening bars etc.
replacing all stock bushes and balljoints with like for like or uprated TRD bushes is a good idea but possibly poly bushes could be used if your not so worried about extra noise and vibration.

Gee

Member +
Yeah, extra noise etc does not bother me.

Might get some of the new D2's at some point, meant to be softer. Or could just buy the springs?

Guye

Lifer
Good topic gee. Just wondering...how does your car feel with your current setup? I would imagine that it handles quite well as it is.

Gee

Member +
Yeah handles well. I only realise how well it handles when I drive other cars.

Rear sway bar sounds like a must thou. LSD will come in time, but ofcourse some good rubber, such as Eagle F1's will be applied too.

gv1.3

Admin
good thread Gee.

One thing I have found is that on a certain roads my ABS kicks in if I hit a bump because of the stiffness of the TRD coilovers.

This has resulted in a few scary moments when braking hard and suddenly the ABS decides it wants to get in on the action.

Gee

Member +
Yeah, is a pain sometimes. Can act funny when breaking on slopes, or dips in the road etc. Keeps you moving when you want to stop!

Think I'd rather have it than not thou.

riko666

Member +
Coilovers at least have the damping rate to match the spring rate - you'll find with Springs & Dampers you can get a very stiff ride but at the same time, are always bouncing and jouncing on bumpy roads, as the relatively low spring rate of the Lowering Springs cannot match the much higher damper rating, making for relatively harsh rebound/bound action

My ABS went crazy with the KYB SS Shocks & RS*R Springs on a particularly bumpy stretch of road near me....the car would bounce so much, the weight would vary so much over the front wheels, greatly reducing traction