engines and performance

Paddy

Lifer
am i right in thinking that all starlet turbos and glanzas have the same engine. also do they all have the same performance figures. thanks

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Yes they do the main differances are,

Body Styling (Obviously)
GT is lighter
Glanza has different Gear ratio in 3rd and 4th to make up for the extra weight
Glanza has a boost restriction in 1st and 2nd gear to combat wheel-spin ( can be easily bypassed)
Glanza has a slightly different turbo internally to help it Spool up quicker to make up for the extra weight

Dan3SGTE

Member +
lol ive never understood that restriction... almost like a stock glanza is a brute and wheel spins all over the place... :D

Adam_Glanza

Member +
how can u say it does fuck all? if u dont feel the improvement then u must be retarded lol my glanza was completely standard when i got it and it was greatly improved

99glanzav

Banned
if you think performance was greatly improved i think you are the retarded one man....its hardly a big mod,id consider something like a full exhaust system and an ebc as greatly improved but i suppose very small gains do it for some people....just not me

Adam_Glanza

Member +
lol.. the way u word it "does fuck all". that makes it sound like its not a worthwhile thing. it definetly is a noticable thing to do especially for free mate. im not saying its gonna give you huge gains ffs but its definetly worthwhile and does make a nice little difference

99glanzav

Banned
good for you mate if it made a nice difference for you,but it was the first mod i did on mine when i got it and the difference wasnt much... we are talking about a very small increase in boost after all... of course its worth doing just for the sake of it seeing as its free but imo thats only for people on a budget...and you wont get much gains for free...

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
I kinda put the restriction back into the car as it helps alot when launching, But i use the speed map function on the Blitz SBC from 0-10 Km/h it boosts to .6bar then Switches to .75bar from 10 - 30 Km/h then onto .9 for the rest, I have the ability to run 1bar but i don't bother cos i use the car as a daily driver and don't need to

tosa2tosa

Member +
how can u say it does fuck all? if u dont feel the improvement then u must be retarded lol my glanza was completely standard when i got it and it was greatly improved

:p 2 rite!
same as having your car stuck in low boost.....lets face it no1 wants that
do watch out tho can mess with ur engine management (light may come on)
def worth experimenting with
sounds like franz has the best set up but it aint cheep

dac69er

Super Moderator
didnt realise the blitz boost controllers could do that? that is a pretty cool idea.

rev related boost control would be even better! could then achieve max torque throughout the whole rev range!

99glanzav

Banned
i had my avcr set to similar to franzas only i ran mine 1-1.1bar daily...
avcr is the best boostcontroller on the market

dac69er

Super Moderator
i might have to get one. my Greddy is ok but im not too keen on the way it works, its a bit wank tbh.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
i havent even got a boost controller... its just set @ 1bar.... but that decides to lower itself to 0.7-0.8bar when driving around town due to my engine/intake pipes too hot getting hot with the flooring it, then stopping at lights :S ............

so with the boost controller this basically enables you to set your boost to whatever you want (within reason) ? then if you like you can turn it back down when you want too?

can someone shed some light.....?

dac69er

Super Moderator
anywhere from you actuators base stting upwards. you cannot lower it any lower than what the actuator would normally let it boost too with no controller fitted!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
right that is what i thought......

so im guessing my actuator is set @1BAR but then when it lowers occasionally when hot...? thats due to a senor from the turbo.....

Im pressuming the actuator wont alow me to set at lower then 1BAR, only when the senor kicks in..... hmmm......

wouldnt mind feeling a bit of 1.2BAR.... think i need bigger injectors though...

dac69er

Super Moderator
a stock 3sgtes injectors should be fine for 1.2 bar i would have thought!?

ive never really noticed massive drops in boost pressure due to heat like a lot of you have!?