Cusco Oil Filter Sandwich + Gauge senders: Fitting

Monkfish

Member +
Mrs Fish got me a Cusco oil filter sandwich plate for Christmas and I was going to fit it today and get my Autogauge oil pressure and oil temp gauges fitted at the same time.

I decided to trial fit the two senders into the plate before I go faffing about with the car. I'm glad I did now, they don't fucking fit. The senders both have the same size threads which, with the supplied adaptor, screw into the largest hole on the Cusco plate. Now, the remaining small hole is too small for the other sender. It bites, but only just and I doubt very much if it'll hold pressure for very long, if at all.

So, with that in mind, what options do I have?

I was thinking of selling the plate and getting another one, but I don't really want to do that as it was a present. Is it possible to re-thread the aluminium block to accept the slightly larger thread on the gauge sender? Can I get some sort of adaptor that will screw into the Cusco plate and the sender will screw to that?

:(

fastglanza

Member +
u can get the hole tapped (re threaded) to the thread size of the remaining sender...any machine shop should be able to do it

Monkfish

Member +
u can get the hole tapped (re threaded) to the thread size of the remaining sender...any machine shop should be able to do it

Will that be OK as the block is aluminium? My Dad has a Tap and Die set so provided he's got a tap of the right thread size, I can do it at home, I'm just worried about ruining the block. :confused:

Rory

Lifer
It will either be a BSP fitting or a NPT, both tapered threads.
Unless your dad works in a machine shop, he will most likely not have them, they also need gauged, as not to go to deep or to shallow.

Monkfish

Member +
It will either be a BSP fitting or a NPT, both tapered threads.
Unless your dad works in a machine shop, he will most likely not have them, they also need gauged, as not to go to deep or to shallow.

I've just spoken to him, you were right, he doesn't have the right tools :(. Is there anywhere else on the engine I can tap into to fit a gauge sender?

turbo-fever

Member +
well for starters the temp sensor is suppose to be taken from the sump anyway cos if u plum it into the sandwich plate u will get a shit and pointless readout. so u only need to use one hole on the sandwich plate. hope that helps

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
well for starters the temp sensor is suppose to be taken from the sump anyway cos if u plum it into the sandwich plate u will get a shit and pointless readout. so u only need to use one hole on the sandwich plate. hope that helps
Why would that give a shit reading mate? Its still the oil temp and im running mine in the sandwich plate along with many many other people, its as accurate as reading from the sump.

Monkfish

Member +
I did wonder whether the temp sensor went in the sump plug hole as the adaptors that came with it look sump plug size. I didn't think that would be the case though, the wiring would soon get messed up underneath the car! :confused:

Rory

Lifer

A bit wrong.....

Our cars dont have an oil cooler, therefor taking the temp from the sandwich plate or the sump you would get the same reading (almost) not a baw hair away though.

If the car has an oil cooler built in, the ideally you want to take from the sump, ie before the cooler.

GTti

Member +
Monkfish I have a few adaptors that I could post to you, no idea what size they are though. I think I have a set of the most common.

The sump is the correct location for oil temperature readings though.

The GTti has a water feed to where the filter screws on, this is the oil cooler. But as stated above the 4EFTE doesn't as far as I'm aware!

Last edited:

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
I run a oil cooler, i just run the temp sensor before it goes to the cooler still on the sandwich plate tho and you can't tap the sump plug as toyota's use a 14mm sump plug if it was a larger 17mm plug then you could plus theres no point in doing that, as long as its before the oil cooler (if you have one) then its the same reading wherever it is.

~Nick

Monkfish

Member +
I've taken some pictures just to clear matters up...

Cusco plate, plus the two senders and 3 adaptors I have...
DSC01840.jpg

Close-up showing the diameter of the adaptors...
DSC01841.jpg

Two holes in the Cusco plate...
DSC01842.jpg

Temp sender fitted (finger tight) into the smallest adaptor ...
DSC01843.jpg

...and screwed into the largest hole on the Cusco plate...
DSC01844.jpg

Pressure sender tightened into the smallest hole on the plate. It bites and does about 1/4 turn before stopping...
DSC01845.jpg

Smallest adaptor fitted to the pressure sender...
DSC01846.jpg

Side profile of the 3 adaptors (right most one is the one shown fitted above)
DSC01847.jpg

GTti, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. :)

GTti

Member +
So you need another of the left most? I will have a look at what I've got.

By the way... photobucket > resize image > message board :p

Monkfish

Member +
So you need another of the left most? I will have a look at what I've got.

By the way... photobucket > resize image > message board :p

I fucked up, the adaptor on the right (smallest) is the one that fits the largest hole on the plate. The problem I have is that the thread on the senders is too big for the small hole on the plate.

I've resized them now, forgot to switch the settings back from when I last uploaded. :homer:

GTti

Member +
Ahh I see, I hate all this BSP, NPT crap, I have no understanding of it :p. It's like lego to me, see what fits :D

I can have a look, I have a oil pressure sender the same as yours in my garage and some adapters to play around with. Will have a play around in the next couple of days.

Monkfish

Member +
The problem I have though is that one of the senders doesn't fit into the small hole on the plate as the thread on the sender is too big. I can fit one sender into the large plate hole using the small adaptor, so I can get at least one gauge (most likely oil pressure) working. The problem I have then is getting the other gauge mounted too. The sender won't fit in. I might take it to my local metal merchants and see if they can machine the block to the right size.

I'll ask them about fabricating an air intake pipe too.

:)

djurny

Member +
looks like you are in need of a 1/8" npt to 1/8" bsp adaptor.. check out www.conrad.nl, thats where i got mine, i had a similar problem with my sard rrfpr, the pressure gauge was 1/8"npt while the thread in the rrfpr was 1/8"bsp (no idea why sard made the gauge thread bsp though?) result was the same, only threaded some mms into the plug.. i'll post a full link in a few hours if you're interested.. :)

842133_BB_00_FB.EPS.gif

clicky here

Last edited: