Manifold & Turbo - Removal - Monkfish *

Somhairle

Lifer
Posted Originally by Monkfish

I was asked by a few to take some pics of the work while I was doing my manifold. :)

When I did mine, I drained the oil as I was planning to change it anyway. It's not necessary though. If you do drain the oil, here's a handy tip. Use an old oil can with the side cut off and a catcher for the oil :cool:

Firstly, get your priorities right...
DSC00830.jpg

:p

I did this lot with the car jacked up on both sides. Remember to follow safety instructions with your jacking equipment and use axle stands.

Removing the Mani/Turbo is a hell of a lot easier with the rad removed (Assuming it's still the stock item).

First step, drain the rad of water. There is a screw valve at the base of the rad with a bleed nipple underneath it... (Don't undo it too far)

DSC00834.jpg

and viewed from above...
DSC00836.jpg

I attached a bit of silicon piping to the nipple to save splashing water everywhere (Handy, you'll be lying on the floor later ;))
DSC00838.jpg

Once the rad is drained, remove the upper hose...
DSC00841.jpg

And the lower one (Pictured from underneath)
DSC00842.jpg

Remove the two support brackets on the top of the rad and unplug the fan...
DSC00843.jpg

The rad should now simply lift out of the engine bay...
DSC00844.jpg

Leaving oodles of room to play :D
DSC00845.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

Next, the turbo needs to come off. I've been told it's not necessary, but I found it easier to do.

First, remove the water lines (located just to the right and under the mani)...
DSC00849.jpg

...then remove the oil feed pipe (Pictured from below)
DSC00848.jpg

Pipe removed. You'll also notice the downpipe has been split from the turbo. I have a flex pipe in my system so I was able to move it far enough out of the way. You may need to remove the downpipe/cat though.

DSC00851.jpg

I have an FMIC, so the pipework for that was removed...
DSC00847.jpg

Now, simply unbolt the 4 bolts holding the turbo onto the mani and it should come away.

Now, to unbolt the turbo: This is a fiddly process to say the least. I would suggest you invest in what I call "dog-leg" spanners. This is the one I used...

DSC01520.jpg

DSC01521.jpg

...and how it fits into the space between the top flange and the outlet (It's undoing the rear O/S bolt, the hardest one to get at)...
DSC01516.jpg

DSC01517.jpg

DSC01518.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

You'll be left with this...
DSC00856.jpg

Now, unbolt all the bolts holding the mani in place (There are 6, 4 top, 2 bottom). If they're standard, they'll be 14mm. Use a good ring spanner on them as they will be tight. Avoid open ended spanners unless you want to risk rounding them off.

Once the bolts are off, the mani should come away (The soft faced hammer may be needed again for this)...
DSC00857.jpg

You'll now be left with this...
DSC00861.jpg

DSC00862.jpg

Remove the old gasket if it is stuck to the block then use a wire brush to clean the mounting face off...
DSC00864.jpg

Fit the new Gasket (Part shown is standard metal Toyota item)
DSC00865.jpg

Fit the new mani on and do up the 7 bolts...
DSC00866.jpg

DSC00867.jpg

Offer the turbo back up to the mani and bolt back on, remembering to place the small square gasket in first (I helper will make this much easier)
DSC00868.jpg

Now, simply bolt everything back together in reverse order. Remember to screw the drain plug in on the rad before you fill it back up, otherwise you'll get wet feet :p. If you drained the oil, don't forget to put the sump plug back in and fill it back up.

Once you've checked everything, start her up. :) The manifold is likely to smoke when it heats up. This is nothing to worry about, it's just the protective coating (and any oil from your grubby mitts) burning off.

Let the engine run and warm up fully, then look under and around the car for any water/oil leaks.

A few things to avoing doing...

Overtightening the oil feed pipe bolt... :mad:
DSC00873.jpg

and dropping stuff in the oil container under the car... :p
DSC00870.jpg

I don't think I've missed anything out and I hope you've found this helpful. If you have any questions or spot a mistake, drop me a U2U and I'll fix it. :)

Last edited: