removed aircon and meshed turbo inlet today!

dac69er

Super Moderator
im pleased with the results. power wise its so much better up the top and the boost is alot more stable and controllable. lower down it seems a little less torquey but im not sure. sounds pretty cool as i have no bov at the moment.

also removed my aircon rad and most of the pipes but not the compressor yet as i havent got the shorter belt.

im using a silicone bend i had laying about as a cold air feed pipe to the turbo inlet, seemed to work ok.

just thought i would share this experience with you :rockon:

im going front mount as well!!!!!!

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
do you have pics?
would i see an increase in power if i just meshed the top of the efi pipe ?
any difference with the aircon removed?

dac69er

Super Moderator
well the aircon papes and rad on their own made no difference. obviously removing them meant colder air could get to the inlet of the turbo where i had my cold air feed bodged up.

there is no gains to be had inlet wise unless you have a filter mounted either at the front behind the bumper or do a mimilar setup to what i have, even thought its not exactly the best! or stick a k&n panel filter or similar in the stock airbox

dac69er

Super Moderator
will do, ill post up some pics tomorrow if i have time! cant see it being a notciceable difference but every little helps! my aircon was leaking anyway, could see it just near the drier. bloody thing, needed ripping out and the seal replacing anyway

hybrid_G4E

Member +
im pleased with the results. power wise its so much better up the top and the boost is alot more stable and controllable. lower down it seems a little less torquey but im not sure. sounds pretty cool as i have no bov at the moment.

also removed my aircon rad and most of the pipes but not the compressor yet as i havent got the shorter belt.

im using a silicone bend i had laying about as a cold air feed pipe to the turbo inlet, seemed to work ok.

just thought i would share this experience with you :rockon:

im going front mount as well!!!!!!

no BOV?
fer how long already?

Ady

Member +
what did you use to mesh the turbo?

i want to mesh mine but dont know what to use!

dac69er

Super Moderator
stainless steel mesh i got from work. its as fine as the filter mesh on the blitz induction kits so its not going to be too bad until i decide how im going to relocate my filter

would like to see some pics of how u ran from the turbo also---with the bend and mesh

i know some people who have run NOTHING for ages---ct9...no inlet pipe, no filter, no mesh...and the sound it makes is incredible......no boost creep or spike either.but every1 says it sppols up faster and runs much better top end also---especially at night

PS....we have a tropical climate........so days a re very hot (30+degs) and cool nights (23+ degs)

dac69er

Super Moderator
spool up is the same as with an airbox in my opinion. maybe a touch quicker, sound is pretty cool though. sounds the same as with mesh though! top end performance is alot better.

the mush i have is direct on the turbo inlet and the slicone pipe is just wedged in so it directs the cold air from the front into the inlet.

would like to have the filter up the front though and do the job properly as im not too keen on the mesh method tbh.

need a now bov too as my arc will be a bit of a bitch to remount

GP82

Member +
With meshing the turbo inlet up you get the nice sound of the turbo spooling up, but i would not run it without no mesh, you run the risk of decapitating the turbo. I would not even use mesh as you will still get fine particles sucked in. Best thing to use is a fine coarse fish net filter which you can buy from any aquarium and even then you will need a good cold air feed to it as without you will jus' see higher inlet temps.

Jules-B

Member +
Is it possible to mount a small filter right off the turbo..ie get a small..talking 3- 4 inch diamater one..say from a motorbike that i have seen..and mount that to the tubby?

becuase i do still want filtered air getting to it.but want to do away with the efi pipe and i dont wanna loose the a/c

Ady

Member +
you mean like a filter for a mini moto?

oh i dont know, as they are deigned for a 50cc carb engine, not a 1300cc turbo engine!
could be worth a try though i suppose

Jules-B

Member +
not nessacerarly(sp) one from a mini moto...but maybe a small one..

if i was good quality would it still get sucked in????
and the other thing is the room....

is it possible to get pipe to the front bumper still using air con?

dac69er

Super Moderator
not unless you run it under the car like alot of the fmic piping does. just remove it mate. i resisted for ages but realised it hardly gets used and everything is so much easier with it out the way. im going front mount now i thing as it makes doing that really easy now!

Jules-B

Member +
its just the thought that ill be running my turbo with no filter..

and i dont really want to do that..but the standard efi piping is crap!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
tbh mate if your not removing the aircon then you may as well not remove the efi pipe. with just an open inlet with no decent cold air feed it wont be that good.
it could be worth a try but its such a bitch to get the efi pipe back on that its not worth the hassle unless you plan on getting the aircon off!

Jules-B

Member +
haha i know the pain of the efi pipe..i had it when doing the actuator..
mine shouldnt be such a pain now as i changed the way it fixes on!