wireless internet, help

monka

Member +
we've just got a new pc a few months ago, got a wireless adapter as well, everything works fine, my sis's laptop can connect, the gf's laptop can connect, base pc connects, gf's phone connects, psp and wii connect.
but i cant get the original pc to connect.
its a D-link wireless router and came with a wireless usb stick to plug into another pc or laptop
i put the old computer in my room, installed the driver cd as per instrustions, when installed, it can find the network occasionly, but wont connect.

is it just a crap a wireless adapter, or would it be maybe worth rebooting the pc. its windows xp

otherwise, any one recomend any other usb adapters

ChrisGT

Member +
Might be a crap adapter mate, but where is the router in your house; could possibly be out of range?

mikeylove

Member +
i live in a 100 year old house which has lead lined walls, i can even get a a mobile signal let alone wireless signal!!!

gv1.3

Admin
we've just got a new pc a few months ago, got a wireless adapter as well, everything works fine, my sis's laptop can connect, the gf's laptop can connect, base pc connects, gf's phone connects, psp and wii connect.
but i cant get the original pc to connect.
its a D-link wireless router and came with a wireless usb stick to plug into another pc or laptop
i put the old computer in my room, installed the driver cd as per instrustions, when installed, it can find the network occasionly, but wont connect.

is it just a crap a wireless adapter, or would it be maybe worth rebooting the pc. its windows xp

otherwise, any one recomend any other usb adapters

Hi,

Ive always found cisco kit about the best when it comes to range but Im not sure if they do a USB adapter Ive only used their aironet pcmcia cards in my laptop and their aironet routers, the 350 series.

D-link and linksys routers etc are a bit crap and their range is never great.

A couple of things you could try...

1) move the router closer to your PC as the laptops wifi is almost certainly going to be stronger than the wifi adapter in your PC so the laptop can cope with being slightly further away from the router.

2)buy a USB extension cable so you can move the Wifi a bit further away from the PC itself which will reduce EMI from the machine and hopefully get you a cleaner signal.

3)buy a wireless repeater (fairly cheap) and run an ethernet cable from your PC's network card to the repeater and let the repeater talk to the D-link router...

Personally I would try the USB extension cable first as this should sort you out.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
have you got a wireless mouse attached to the machine? is so try unplugging it and connecting again.

recently did a job where the machines wouldn't connect to the router, even thought the router and machines tested out fine separatly, turned out to be the wireless mice (which the customer hadn't brought in with the machine when tested) were interfering with the signal. i cured it by changing the channel the router broadcasted on from 11 to 6.

monka

Member +
the pc i'm tryin to connect with the usb adapter is right above the router, no more than 10-12 feet away

Dave.

Member +
that is a strange one... Why not just buy an ethernet cable and run that to the pc from the router? usually about £1 per metre if you go somewhere decent.
Dave

gv1.3

Admin
the pc i'm tryin to connect with the usb adapter is right above the router, no more than 10-12 feet away

Is the USB adapter plugged into a USB slot at the back of the machine? if so do you have any at the front?

as mentioned above if you have any other wireless bits and pieces including keyboard mouse etc disconnect them and then try. Also if you have any other electronic equipment such as amplifiers etc plugged in near the PC turn them all off and then try.

What make is the actual USB adapter? is that D-Link too?

ChrisGT

Member +
Like dub-7 has suggested, something may be interferring; might be an idea to change the wireless channel to something else. Should definately be in range if its that close, so could be interference or a dodgy wireless usb adapater!!

When you are trying to connect to the router are all the other systems and consoles connected?? Because some router only support like 4-6 systems connected wirelessly, so that may be your problem.
Also download an updated driver for the D-link usb Adapter. Are you using XP or D-Link software to manage the USB Dongle??
I can have a look at your system if you get it connected online with the cable using software I have.
Christy

starbogt

Member +
check your router settings it may be set to a limit of how many wireless connections are permitted at one time!

morpheus

Member +
wireless

hi
go in control panel,administrative tools,services,then wireless lan put it on automatic and check if its on start.....