Flipper has to go!

gv1.3

Admin
:rolleyes: as some of you may be aware I have a dolphin living under my bonnet....

When the car is cold and I drive it I get a noise that sounds like flipper! At the meet in Dublin weeJohn and Jay had a listen and thought it might be coming from the area around the distributor. As I have changed every other part of the ignition over the past year or so I decided to change the distributor and rotar arm which are now done. Both of the old ones were fairly well worn so needed to be changed.

Flipper is still living under my bonnet.......

I thought the noise might be coming from the turbo to Intercooler joint so I took that pipe off and put some gasket seal stuff on it but its still there.

I was clearing up and it got dark so I had my torch out and happened to see a bit of dust getting blown from the manifold to cat joint... well I think I did and that seems to be where the noise is coming from.

The noise goes away after about 2 minutes of driving so I think its something expanding when hot thats blocking up a leak?? maybe??

So my question is this... what is the part number for the manifold to cat gasket? and what is involved in getting the gasket on? Do I just undo the bolts on that joint or will I need to take the manifold off the block totally to lift it off the downpipe?

Thanks! :)

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Sounds like a cracked manifold to me to be honest but it could be the gasket too, My manifold was cracked and you could barely see the crack, you should try the long screwdriver test (use a screwdriver with a long shaft. Put the handle end to the ear and put the tip of the shaft to the noise source. it's not as accurate as a real stethoscope. but it works) Just to be sure where exactly the noise is coming from

Here is the part number anyways

manifold to turbo gasket: 17278-11031

here is a tutorial written by Monkfish Manifold & Turbo - Removal

Hope this helps, ;)

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Just to add to this, you said you put gasket sealant from the turbo to intercoler correct?

Well this is a very bad idea, sealant shouldn't be used on any of the intercooler or turbo piping due to the high pressures, a little bit could easily get sucked off (no dirty jokes please:p) and cause a lot of damage.:eek:

gv1.3

Admin
yeah I thought that afterward/ I dont drive the car much so I went to toyota today and ordered new gaskets for all the bits so Ill clean the sealent off and replace the gaskets and see if my dolphin vanishes.

On a related matter... if the dolphon doesnt go away would anyone like to buy it?? Its very unique and sounds better then a lot of dump valves on the market...

Save Flipper!!

flipper.jpg

Monkfish

Member +
Does it only do this when it's cold? You sure it's not your alternator belt?

It could still be the gasket. There will be a tiny hole or hairline crack in the mani/gaskets that seals up as everything expands as it gets hot.

My money would be the Gasket. Get the Toyota ones, they're metal and very good. :)

Chris@CCM

Member +
defo sounds like a cracked manifold or a blow out some were . my gt made a sound like that when the manifold was cracked:eek:

Jay

Admin
Was a strange noise indeed, we traced it to the rocker cover/distributor area but I guess it could be a leak from the manifold or gaskets. One way to find out Dylan..