Is my aem sensor dead?????

mossy

Member +
My 3 weeks old AEM wide band sensor has been playing around since yesterday( I mean the figure was all over the place) but this morning a few seconds after I started the engine it was just showing 3 dots( or 3 dash) only. I tried cleaning it and put it back on again but no luck
Has anybody had the same problem? Is it a fairly common failure?
Thanks in advance

ian

Member +
I did have a few occasions where the figures where all over the place but once incident was a faulty lambda sensor i had. But other than that I ran mine for a year with no problems.

goldenvtr

Member +
have you been running it contantly? im getting one next month but have read the sensors can burn out if too close to the turbo? so was only going to use mine on nessasary days

mossy

Member +
yes i have, but my car sat in car park and i start the engine evry couple days to keep the battrey alive. i fitted mine about 2 feet away from turbo.
i have been reading in their web sit(faq and forum) its apparently common thing ,they also provide the part number from Bosch. one of member in AEM forum said he needs anew sensor after evry weekend racing?????
so i think i ll order 1 in today and put it on when i need it 'to keep costs down'

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i've just put the sensor into my exhaust (just behind the sump) don't really wanna be changing it every month :(

ragz

Member +
im going to be using a innovate lc-1
iv welded the bung at the bottom ov the decat
do u guys think its to close to the turbo i dont have the balls to weld a bung into my blitz nur spec exhaust.

goldenvtr

Member +
i think the innovate user the same bosch senor as the aem, i was going to put mine in teh downpipe halfway down( sachas td04 downpipe) but i think i may do it down in the exhaust insted now

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i've put mine just behind the sump.

you can just see the boss mounted on the left side of the exhaust
DSC00558.JPG

another pic
DSC00561.JPG

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
according to the manual, the sensor should be at least 36 inches from the exhaust ports, which is aroundabout where we've put ours. hopefully it'll be alright there.

fastglanza

Member +
also the guy who had to replace his after every race meet was probably running racing fuel which is loaded with lead and kills the bosch sensors very quickly.

mossy

Member +
If its showing 3 dashes after start up the car is running too rich, i.e. under 10:1
no m8 i dont think the gauge is accurate no longer, it goes from amber to green and red and all over the place, it was the same all story when i took the sensor out.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
yes i have, but my car sat in car park and i start the engine evry couple days to keep the battrey alive. i fitted mine about 2 feet away from turbo.
i have been reading in their web sit(faq and forum) its apparently common thing ,they also provide the part number from Bosch. one of member in AEM forum said he needs anew sensor after evry weekend racing?????
so i think i ll order 1 in today and put it on when i need it 'to keep costs down'

he said that coz he uses racing fuel, if u read propperly racing fuel damages the sensor.. also it tells u to avoid using petrol with high quantities of toulene & also to put it between 22~32 inches away from the turbo...

also the angle it was installed at is VIP.. the sensor will also have an early death if u have a high oil consumption if i remember correctly it was somthing like less than 1ltr of oil per 1000miles..

kon