HG question

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Ok my head is off atm but when it comes to putting it back together what HG should I use? OEM or an uprated one? I'll be running anywhere from 1-1.2bar. If I should go for an uprated one, which do you suggest?

Cheers for the input peeps.
Hutch.

Gee

Member +
Standard CT9?

Stock gasket will be fine.

Don't know if the turbo will 1.2bar thou.

Auto EP82

Lifer
I was told when i did my head gasket that the stock gasket and turbo can handle up to 1 bar but even running 1 bar if you have the money id get an uprated 1 will give you peace of mind save you doin the job again.

Gee

Member +
The stock headgasket is very relaible in my experience.

I have run 1bar using CT9 for years with no problems and also ran 1bar on the TD04L for over a year without any problems either and this was on the same gasket which was installed for god knows how long.

BenJ ran 1-1.2 bar on stock HG with K24 aswell and recently switched back to a stock HG from a different make.

You will find a lot of cars running good power on stock HG too, so stock is fine for CT9 is fine IMO and there is no point running it at 1.2bar anyway.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
stock head gasket wont fail till 21psi ;)

on whichever turbo u have :)

Auto EP82

Lifer
Well my head gasket went december last year the car had only done Bout 32,000 miles n that went at 1.1 bar.The bloke that did my car said that the gasket had started to lift from the head because of to much boost.

Auto EP82

Lifer
I bough all the stuff off you dave,the bloke that did my car builds drag rx,s n he said the head gasket started to lift on the 3rd cylinder because of too much boost so it was turned down and have not had any problems since still wish i had put an uprated one on it at the time tho.

Auto EP82

Lifer
must have been that then but anyhow if any of you were changin your head gasket wouldent you uprate at the same time i no i would if i had the chance again.So can you get uprated head bolts aswell then if head lift is a problem.

fur

Member +
this is hilarious, the stock HG doesn't fail once the motor is well built and well tuned
guy here made 294 whp at 2 bar with stock HG and stock bolts
stock HG is a quality bit, if you keep blowing them you should find the real problem

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Sorry guys maybe shoulda mentioned my turbo, its a CT9 Hybrid (a Mr Burwash special). Does that really change things? And by the sounds if it I'm gonna need new head bolts too (I ammused they weren't re-usable). OEM bolts fine for the boost I plan to run?

Kelly

Member +
Hutch - we had stock one in for years, and the speedvision which failed badly! The engine is coming apart again soon and even though the stock HG should hold the 1.2bar we running we're puttin a cruise one in there regardless! Its just not worth tearing the engine apart all the time when things fail which could have been better the first time round.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I get what your saying Kelly but if the OEM is up to the job and you've had bad experiences with aftermarket ones wouldn't it be better to stick to OEM? Also what head bolts do you use?

Kelly

Member +
I get what your saying Kelly but if the OEM is up to the job and you've had bad experiences with aftermarket ones wouldn't it be better to stick to OEM? Also what head bolts do you use?

TO be fair if the toyota one had been in there all that time it lasted pretty well, we boosted very high boost for at least 6months on that gasket.

The "uprated one" you reffer to imo should not be given such a title and is in no way comparable to the branded ones. I have never known a branded one to crack and fall apart. After a months use.

Use stock headbolts always brand new from toyota.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Ok Kelly cheers. I'll price some HG's up but I'm pretty sure the OEM ones are a fair whack cheaper and if its upto the job I don't really see the point in splashing out on an after market one.

oh and I said aftermarket, not uprated! :p