What oil are people using for there LSD ?

As above? What oil are people using? Going to be fitting a cusco diff at the weekend and totally forgot about oil. The redline stuff? Rekon halfords would have it? Or anywhere online that would deliver by Saturday?

Dave.

Member +
I use Silkolene Syn 5 75w90 Fully synthetic.

Awesome stuff, £10 or so per litre, but worth every penny :) The Opie Oils guy recommended it for pretty much anything, and its worked a treat for me.

Dave

Rory

Lifer
I use Silkolene Syn 5 75w90 Fully synthetic.

Awesome stuff, £10 or so per litre, but worth every penny :) The Opie Oils guy recommended it for pretty much anything, and its worked a treat for me.

Dave

As above. Thats what i run wit it Graeme.
I put some of that Redline Friction Modifier in aswell, helped with the clunk from the diff.
Just dont put to much in, or the syncros go..... Yes my spare box is fecked. :p

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Can you run normal gearbox oil with a helical LSD?

if u want to strain & wear out the lsd early... yes..

if u want to take care of it & have a long happy life with it then NO

Gee

Member +
I've got Redline Heavy Shockproof in my box. It's like purple syrup when cold.

This?

Heavy_Shockproof.jpg

What oil too redline too for gearboxes with LSD's for road cars? Or would this be suitable?

Sent them an email anyway.

GTti

Member +
Yeah, Heavy Shockproof is fine for LSD's. Says in the tech PDF.

They do plenty of oils though, the heavy stuff will let your box take an absolute beating before anything breaks. Mainly for race.

SiCaln

Member +
theyr sold in bxes of 4, and its sensible to have a spare for top ups -
if you want 3, theyr £18 each, so £54

Gee

Member +
Just spoken to Redline.

They advised that their Shock Proof gearbox oil is not for synchromesh gearboxes, but for dog boxes etc.

I believe we should be using 75w/90 in our boxes? So they recommended one of their MT90 oils and because my LSD is a helical, it does not rely on friction (or something) so it will be fine?

I assume they mean this?

MT-90.jpg

Popular in Nissan, Toyota and MAzda manual transmissions and transaxles as well as other selected applications, this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil that is slightly heavier than MTL. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchromisers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

GTti

Member +
Yup that can be used, it's thicker than MTL.

Although I disagree about the Shockproof, according to their own PDF.

It mentioned on the website that other products are better for synchromesh, however shockproof will provide the best protection for your actual teeth and box, it's rated at 75W250 for film thickness yet flows the similar to MT-90. When I had both my boxes out I rotated the input spline on my box with normal oil you can feel the teeth locking and then turning, with the redline you can feel the cushion between teeth, massive difference. (Which is pretty much why it's called shock proof).

For road MT-90 is fine, not for heavier use though, well racing and dragging.

My shifts take a little longer to become smoothe with Shockproof, but you know it's doing a good job when the oil is warm. Probably why this box has lasted 12k at over 50% more than it's designed through put.