Wheel bearing replacement and shaft nut torque settings...

Monkfish

Member +
Good morning reprobates. :D

I'm going to be working on The Bitch today, replacing the front wheel bearings, N/S CV joint and all the gaitors. I need to know the following...

• Methed for removing and replacing front wheel bearings (If there is a special one)
  • Torque settings for the shaft end nut

There's an eCookie in it for the first reply with the correct answer. ;)

EDIT:- I forgot to say, I've had a search, didn't find anything meaningful.

Matchew

Member +
U'll need a press to get the wheel bearings out of the hubs.
Otherwise it will take you forever drifting them out with a hammer.
Torque settings im unsure of didnt know there was tbh......tight!!:p

Monkfish

Member +
U'll need a press to get the wheel bearings out of the hubs.
Otherwise it will take you forever drifting them out with a hammer.
Torque settings im unsure of didnt know there was tbh......tight!!:p
I don't have a press, but I do have all manner of clamps and vices. Also, big hammers. :D

I'd imagine there is a torque setting, probably has to be done up real fucking tight to seat the bearings in the hubs correctly, then undone to the required setting. I don't really want to be second guessing that.

Matchew

Member +
True someone on here's gotta know.
Good luck with bearings could you get the hubs off take um to be pressed out and pressed back in. Only like 10-15 min job with a press could save you hours and i'd bet they would just say give us a drink for doing it that's what i did on one of my old cars chucked um £10 and they did it straight away

Monkfish

Member +
The hub assemblies and shafts are already off. I need to get the hub out of the carrier, but other than that it should be a reasonably easy job, unless there is a specific method to getting the bearings out and back in.

Monkfish

Member +
Forgot to update this earlier. After speaking with Dave, I took the hubs and bearings to a local garage to have the old ones pressed out and new ones pressed back in. There was no way in shit they were going to drift out without borking something. Cheers for the advice Dave!

The hubs and shafts are now back together again, I just need to get them back on the car. I'll do that in the week. Then I need to sort the rear caliper out and I'm good to get her re-tested and re-taxed (Declared her SORN end of the month due to her being unroadworthy).

:)

clys

Member +
I drifted mine out with a hammer, then realized my shop had a press. Huge bitch to do because they carrier doesn't sit level on anything, so half your strength is dedicated to holding the damn thing still.

I will use a press to set the bearing back in the carrier, and then torqute the driveshaft nut to 216mn. You don't have to back that off at all? Just leave it at 216?

dac69er

Super Moderator
you could go over 216nm, then back off then go to 216nm.
it would be fine to go to 216 and just leave it though. there is a castellated washer that should stop it coming undone too much anyway.