My blown Head gasket

Luke.R

Member +
Well tonight I got the M9 spline tool to get the bolts out of the head, and when I removed it I found the Gasket was I a bad way between number one and a water jacket. the gasket has bent out of shape, I have done fair few head gaskets before and not seen many this bad lol

DSCF0690.jpg

DSCF0691.jpg

DSCF0692.jpg

Maybe it went like that cos it started blowing coolant out of the expansion tank in april and I just put it down to a fecked rad. oh well lol

Adam_Glanza

Member +
more like vise versa, its started blowing coolant out because of the head gasket being warped, exhaust gases getting into coolant

Luke.R

Member +
Yeah sorta thought that when I stuck my nose in the rad while it was running and could smell pure petrol lol

Maybe this is why I got a really shite RR figure lol

Need to get the head skimmed now :(

Hate borrowing my bros car lol

Monkfish

Member +
Good effort!

Mine had also gone at the same point, I kept blowing out water, which I also put down to being a fucked rad', so I went out and spent £150 on a custom triple core copper item. Ahh well.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
mine acted the exact same way when it went too, spat coolant out when on boost.

check your engine block for warpage too cos on mine it wasn't the head that was warped ;)

Luke.R

Member +
Well I didn't ever overheat, the temp never went over half way and the fan always came on, just a case of maybe 1 bar and old age as I can tell that this is it's first head gasket change, so 16 years aint bad going. lol

so I'm not too worried about the block warping to be honest I have sent the Head away to be skimmed, but I will just clean the block and put a straight edge on it to make sure.

Being cast iron it wont really be warping too easy unless it starts to get fecking hot lol. the Head, now thats another story.

MWP

Member +
My EP82 has just started blowing coolant out of the overflow bottle too :(
At idle i can see the bubbles coming out of the overflow tube in the bottle.
Car seems to be running fine otherwise though.
I replaced the rad cap which didnt help.

So i guess ive got a BHG too :(

Ive changed head gaskets on engines before, but do you guys have any specific tips for the 4E-FTE that i should know about?
Is it possible to change the timing belt with the head off, but the engine still in the car?

Thanks!

jabran200

Member +
Is it possible to change the timing belt with the head off, but the engine still in the car?

Thanks!

Do you mean with the head not on the block? Then no as the cam pulleys are in the head...

and if you are asking that question I don't think this a job you should be doing d.i.y imho.

MWP

Member +
Do you mean with the head not on the block? Then no as the cam pulleys are in the head...
and if you are asking that question I don't think this a job you should be doing d.i.y imho.

Well derr, of course they are...

But i was wondering if having the head off gives me enough room around the front of the engine to slip the timing belt off, and a new one on.

MWP

Member +
What is the top headgasket in the photos above?

Im wondering why the toyota headgaskets dont have the holes for the other coolant/oil galleries.