EGT Gauge

Fro

Member +
This means exhaust gas temp yes? Just wondered why its important to know/monitor this? If it is important that is?

Cheers

HorwathBence

Member +
As far as i know if you kick it hard, on increased boost, there could be a hot situation in the exhaust... more power->more fuel-> more heat-> hotter turbo -> too much heat... And nor the turbo, nor the exhaust likes that. I read it about rally cars, so i dont know, if our one do such big heats, like 900°C.

Fro

Member +
Ah yes ok i see now. Maybe only more suitable for highly modified cars or is it stll worth keeping an eye on?

cole

Member +
this is for checking if the cars running rich or lean

if its too hot its running lean i think ?

or it could be the other way round

cole

Member +
As far as i know if you kick it hard, on increased boost, there could be a hot situation in the exhaust... more power->more fuel-> more heat-> hotter turbo -> too much heat... And nor the turbo, nor the exhaust likes that. I read it about rally cars, so i dont know, if our one do such big heats, like 900°C.

:homer: thats got nothing to do with it

turbos regulary glow red hot when your giving it some theres plenty of dnyo vids on u tube to back this up

cole

Member +
if your doing your own mapping it can help you work out if its running lean or rich

but if your having it done at a rr or a mapper they have the equipment to moniter the af ratios so theres no need for it

would be ok to adjust a rrfpr if you turned the boost up a bit

youd have to check what the correct temp should be tho

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
THE most important gauge for any modified Starlet or any modified car for that matter. Exhaust gas temperature relates directly to the condition of the tune, excessive lean conditions and excessive rich conditions will both cause high EGT's.

High temps as you know are what kill engines so using an EGT will safe guard you pretty much from destroying your engine. Ideally you want one with a peak warning mode so that it tells you once you reach a preset EGT limit, it's okay to have one with out peak mode but I personally find when your flying along in a 300hp FWD monster it's very hard to keep an eye on the gauges and the road!

Ideally you don't want to be seeing more than 850-900 degrees on boost, anything over this means something isn't right whether it be excessive boost, poor tune etc etc. These values will depend on where you install the EGT sensor, you ideally want it at the hottest part in the turbo exhaust housing. Sometimes this isn't always possible so the next place imo is in the manifold runner, the hottest one although in general the 4e/5e heads produce pretty even flow so we tend to go for no1.

In basic it gives you up to date information which could potentially safe guard your engine. Touch wood but I've had a lot of Starlets, running some mad specs and I have NEVER blown an engine. There have been plenty of times when I've noticed high EGT's and backed off, now if there was no EGT in place I would have carried on as per normal and possible done a lot of damage. I've never actually had a modified Starlet without one. IMO the best gauge money can buy.

If anyone is interested I'm also about to put the full line up (All 7) of the Greddy gauge series on ebay all with peak warning and EGT is also included. Will be around 40-50% off retail at auction.

Thanks

T

Toby@ToyTuning.com

if your doing your own mapping it can help you work out if its running lean or rich

but if your having it done at a rr or a mapper they have the equipment to moniter the af ratios so theres no need for it

would be ok to adjust a rrfpr if you turned the boost up a bit

youd have to check what the correct temp should be tho

Regardless of whether you map your own car or have it mapped by a company it's still an essential gauge. A week later you could get a massive boost spike and the AFR probe will still be back at the mappers, see where I'm coming from! :)

cole

Member +
THE most important gauge for any modified Starlet or any modified car for that matter. Exhaust gas temperature relates directly to the condition of the tune, excessive lean conditions and excessive rich conditions will both cause high EGT's.

High temps as you know are what kill engines so using an EGT will safe guard you pretty much from destroying your engine. Ideally you want one with a peak warning mode so that it tells you once you reach a preset EGT limit, it's okay to have one with out peak mode but I personally find when your flying along in a 300hp FWD monster it's very hard to keep an eye on the gauges and the road!

Ideally you don't want to be seeing more than 850-900 degrees on boost, anything over this means something isn't right whether it be excessive boost, poor tune etc etc. These values will depend on where you install the EGT sensor, you ideally want it at the hottest part in the turbo exhaust housing. Sometimes this isn't always possible so the next place imo is in the manifold runner, the hottest one although in general the 4e/5e heads produce pretty even flow so we tend to go for no1.

In basic it gives you up to date information which could potentially safe guard your engine. Touch wood but I've had a lot of Starlets, running some mad specs and I have NEVER blown an engine. There have been plenty of times when I've noticed high EGT's and backed off, now if there was no EGT in place I would have carried on as per normal and possible done a lot of damage. I've never actually had a modified Starlet without one. IMO the best gauge money can buy.

If anyone is interested I'm also about to put the full line up (All 7) of the Greddy gauge series on ebay all with peak warning and EGT is also included. Will be around 40-50% off retail at auction.

Thanks

T

which gauges and do you have a pic of them lit up ?

cole

Member +
Regardless of whether you map your own car or have it mapped by a company it's still an essential gauge. A week later you could get a massive boost spike and the AFR probe will still be back at the mappers, see where I'm coming from! :)

never thort if it in that way

good point !

Toby@ToyTuning.com

I'll post a link to ebay in around 20 mins will take me a while, it will be the full set so Boost, EGT, AFR, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure and 7 x Greddy 60mm holders. We won't be splitting either selling the entire set at once.

There are loads of other makes for EGT so it doesn't have to be Greddy just thought it's worth mentioning as they cost be over £1300.00 all selling bloody cheap.

This is what they look like lit:

images

They are the black gauges with black faces. I like the Greddy range as they are simple, don't change colours, don't sing & dance and compliment the Starlets simple interior. I think gauges like Defi can be OTT in such an old interior but everyone will have different tastes :)

T

Fro

Member +

Thanks

T

Awesome write up there! Very informative! Still, dont fancy having to drill a hole in my mani though!?

Pm`d regarding those gauges coming your way!

**edit** just seen your post on the gauges, fancy sending me the ebay link when you have it sorted? Cheers

Last edited:

cole

Member +
Awesome write up there! Very informative! Still, dont fancy having to drill a hole in my mani though!?

Pm`d regarding those gauges coming your way!

**edit** just seen your post on the gauges, fancy sending me the ebay link when you have it sorted? Cheers

send me it aswell also are they 52mm or 60 ?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

They are 60mm, I can't for love nor money read 52mm gauges just too small for aging eyes :haha:

I'll post the link up here guys.

You can tap a hole in the manifold in seconds, if not confident get a professional to do it is a piece of pish if you have some decent self tappers :)

T

Fro

Member +
They are 60mm, I can't for love nor money read 52mm gauges just too small for aging eyes :haha:

I'll post the link up here guys.

You can tap a hole in the manifold in seconds, if not confident get a professional to do it is a piece of pish if you have some decent self tappers :)

T

Wont that just encourage it to crack? Have you experienced no problems with it before?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

If it's a decent manifold then no it shouldn't be cracking the EGT probe is pretty small.

If you look closely on runner one you can see where ours went on our TT manifold on the fast road Starlet, it has a bolt there but the EGT probe just screws in once removed, just to give you an idea:

2956662466_d5c5e819ca_m.jpg

Ideally the turbo exhaust housing is the best place but that's second, don't put them in the downpipe like you would with a AFR probe as you will only get "average" readings which kind of defeats the object as it needs to be spot on.

Hope that helps.

T