5E-FTE on Stock Internals

Idrees

Banned
Hi guys,

I am looking to slowly start a 5E build, but I don't really want to go forged because A) I am not chasing huge power figures, and B) I don't want to spend a fortune.

Now, can I 'mate' together a 4EFTE with a 5EFE? By dropping the stock 4EFTE pistons in the 5EFE bottom end or something? Or do they need to be oversized? (Therefore forged?) I've had a little look around on the site but most people seem to have gone forged.

How much boost would this be reliable for? Same level as a stock 4EFTE but less lag due to the larger CC?

Any useful links or helpful would be great. Or if I'm going in the total wrong direction please tell me! :)

For an OEM 5efte CT9 build……here’s the spoon feeding list for all………

- 4efte rocket cover
- 4efte or 5efhe/fe head…with either 4efte or 5efhe cams (MARGINALLY better)…..make sure u keep the shims with whatever cams u use…or reshimming may be necessary
- 4efte head gasket…5efhe or trd head gaskets are also used (but trd raise compression somewhat)
- 4efte intake manifold…5efhe ACIS can be use, but usually requires something to operate it properly
- 5e block
- 4efte pistons or some people shave the 5e pistons (TRIED and PROVEN by MANY),,,in fact some people shave the 4efte pistons……but then a lot of u guys are afraid to do this,,,,,,,,so stick to the oem 4efte ones then
- 4efte piston rings, if u use 4efte pistons………..5e pistons rings if u use 5e psitons………there is a difference in part numbers,,,,,,,,,but people have been know to use any set with any pistons and they work fine
- 5e rods…5efhe preferred for bigger boost,,,,,,,,5efe rods can be used if u don’t plan to over do it
- 4e/5e cam gear/wheel...set timing using 5e mark.........and set base timing at 10 degrees.........or as desired, as some may want to retard base timing depending on set up and gas quality
- 4efte injectors at MINIMUM
- 4e/5e oem fuel pressure regualtor or aftermarket unit...run anywhere from 2.3 to 3 bar on initial set up,,,BUT depends again on your set up......tune to suit
- 4e/5e fuel rail
- 5e idler and tensioner pulleys
- 4e/5e crank gear
- 5e tming belt
- 4efte ecu, harness and map sensor at minimum.....the greddy ultimate on the 5e ecu or 4efte ecu is also great for fine tuning...
- 5e crank…..some prefer 5efhe crank (stamped “5e”) on it……while others use the “3e” marked crank which comes in some 5e blocks
- 5e thrust washers
- 5e flywheel (200mm)……or redrilled 4efte flywheel (212mm), again, has been done several times, just make sure you have a competent machinist………OR try to get the 5e bolt pattern flywheel that holds the 212mm clutch set up (usually found on some 3E engines)
- 5e clutch and 5e pressure plate OR 4efte clutch and 4efte pressure plate….NOT to be mixed and matched
- 5e/4e oil pump……….make sure u get the one that matches what is there………as far as I’m aware they are two types
- 4e or 5e oil relief valve
- 4efte oil pick up and 4efte sump…OR 5e oil pick up and 5e sump….to be used together and not in combinations………i.e. choose one and use both units together…..note,,,u wouldhave to drill and tap the 5e sump for the oil return
- 5e connecting bearings…make sure u get the correct sizes---check the back of the used one
- 5e main bearings ---- make sure u get the correct sizes---check the block and crank and do some adding of the numbers or check the back of the used one
- 4efte exhaust manifold…BEWARE a custom unit is preferred as the oem unit is VERY restrictive on the 5e
- 1 ct9 turbo and downpipe with all gaskets ---IF u are going to use the ct9 turbo for a short while……also, your muffler may need a slight extension as the 5e block is about 10mm taller…..else use whatever set up (turbo) u plan to run along with supporting exhaust manifold and downpipe
- 4e/5e water pump and hoses
- 4efte thermostat, housing and sensors
- 4e/5e gearbox/transmission
- 4efte distributor or 5efhe distributor…..same basic unit
- 4efte plug wires
- 5e timing covers
- 5e oil/dip stick and housing
- 4efte TMIC----NOT the best idea,,,but would work for ct9 set up…..if u already have a FMIC set up,,,use it back
- 1 gallon oil
- 1 pouch of sealant
- 1 oil filter…4e/5e…same thing
- 1 gallon coolant
- 4 spark plugs
- 1 cam shaft seal
- 1 crank shaft seal (front)
- 1 crank shaft seal (rear)
- 2 turbo water lines if required---depends on turbo unit use
- 1 oil line
- 1 oil return line
- all rubber gaskets
- all other asscessories from 4efte….a/c, p/s, alternator, etc

install,,,,run in……..and maybe get tuned if you are smart

areas to be cautious of:
- power steering pump....u may need to custom make a bracket or just use the adjuster piece to hold it in place

:)

Nippon

Member +
If your not chasing big power then bother with the 5E? May aswell stick with your 4E and turbo that.

Idrees

Banned
If your not chasing big power then bother with the 5E? May aswell stick with your 4E and turbo that.
When I said big power I meant huge power like the majority of others! Such as 300bhp+ I would like a TD04 setup but it's too laggy for my liking on a 4EFTE, so I thought a TD04 would be nice and responsive on a 5E?

yup good bit stornger

Just a pain in the ass to actually get hold of one aswell I guess. :(

Idrees

Banned
a td04 5e will make a v nice drive tho i dont think a well set up 4e td04 is too bad at all
I don't like the sound of boost coming at around 4k? And tailing off before 6.5k? Unless I got that wrong, but I think it's something along those lines. TD04 5E would be nice and responsive imo.

spuddy - better inlet mani? any one got any pics?
Its the ACIS Inlet manifold, do a search mate.

Johnny_C

Lifer
I would like a TD04 setup but it's too laggy for my liking on a 4EFTE
i dnt mean to go off topic,but there are so many things wrong with that statement lad,believe me,a 4efte on td04 has very little lag with the correct set up,in my opinion it would suit ur needs to the ground,5e is an expensive route,and i wouldnt go half doing it,its not worth it.

monka

Member +
idrees, if you dont want to much expense, but no lag, rebuild a 4efte (stock rebuild or forge) and get a hybrid,
would be healthy for 1.2 bar boost and 230 bhp

Idrees

Banned
i dnt mean to go off topic,but there are so many things wrong with that statement lad,believe me,a 4efte on td04 has very little lag with the correct set up,in my opinion it would suit ur needs to the ground,5e is an expensive route,and i wouldnt go half doing it,its not worth it.

I've sat in a CT9 Hybrid GT, and also a TD04 Glanza.

The GT felt more responsive and 'quick' compared to the Glanza. Side by side on the QTM I dunno what would win, but I much preferred the GT's set up to the TD04. But then again that could have been due to many factors, who knows.

monka

Member +
lol, my personal aim for my car is a forged 4efte, hyrbid, cams, and an aggressive a map as the engine can take.

T

tdo4starlet

if your going the 5e route better with the 5efhe better rods put the ep turbo pistons in it ..no lag with the tdo4 on a 5e but tdo4s turbos are only good for 250 bhp..so i think with a 5efhe engine build and turbo pistons 270 bhp on the 5efhe rods with a slighly bigger turbo,,,go 5e its different than the old 4e setup much more power