help please, changing cambelt

tayyib

Lifer
hi guys, im in the middle of changing my cambelt using the guide from the forum.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2035

As on this; in the diagram it shows a spring between the camblet tensioner and the loop hole on the opposite side. am i missing this spring or isit just different on th guide??? i took it all apart but didnt see this spring at any point.

edit.jpg

in the pic above ive shown where this spring is shown to be (BLUE). Am i missing it or isit just the universal type of diagram which dub-se7en has posted. if i am missing this spring where would i be able to get it from?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

gt-stu

Member +
that spring will pull the timing belt tensioner back to tension the belt,i just took it out and pushed it back by hand.

on old vauxhall xe and let engines these "helper" springs used to get weak rattle loose and wrap round the belt not good.

dac69er

Super Moderator
these springs are always a bit tight if anything. on my 1991 GT the belt whines a bit due to the belt being a little too tight as the springs has too much tension.

weakboy2

Member +
yeah you dont need the spring, you can tension by hand or with a lever. Once the bolt is tight it does nothing

350ep70gr

Member +
on old vauxhall xe and let engines these "helper" springs used to get weak rattle loose and wrap round the belt not good.

to the belt being a little too tight as the springs has too much tension.

Those are syptoms of a spring out of its specification. I am sure Toyota dosent gave us just a gift... Also this spring has some specs as stated in the manual. And when a belt is tight ?when someone says it is spot on by eye or feeling..just because he say so? Need to be tension in some specs...
For many things you can say you dont need them.. but some you really need them for sure...

chris

gt-stu

Member +
Those are syptoms of a spring out of its specification. I am sure Toyota dosent gave us just a gift... Also this spring has some specs as stated in the manual. And when a belt is tight ?when someone says it is spot on by eye or feeling..just because he say so? Need to be tension in some specs...
For many things you can say you dont need them.. but some you really need them for sure...

chris

when youve done a few belts you no how to tension one,you can also use one of those belt frequencey testers if youre not confident in youre judgement,personaly i think there pants but i believe some old citroens you had to use these,some early xm models if i remember right

weeJohn

Lifer
I suppose you could say its not critical, like it only holds the belt tension correctly so as not to overload the oil pump shaft and damage it, or to prevent the belt slipping round the teeth of the cam pulley to keep your timing correct, or to keep up oil pressure so it does not slip round the oil pump pulley.

Not that important for it to be tensioned correctly then, what do you think?

I would not tighten up the idle pulley bolt without having this spring fitted, and after checking its free length is within spec as stated by Toyota. They are about £3 new from them.

350ep70gr

Member +
I suppose you could say its not critical, like it only holds the belt tension correctly so as not to overload the oil pump shaft and damage it, or to prevent the belt slipping round the teeth of the cam pulley to keep your timing correct, or to keep up oil pressure so it does not slip round the oil pump pulley.

I would not tighten up the idle pulley bolt without having this spring fitted, and after checking its free length is within spec as stated by Toyota. They are about £3 new from them.
Some good points there...;)
Rep on the way..
Chris

dac69er

Super Moderator

what is the free length of it out of interest?
mine seems a bit odd as it whines which would suggest the spring is too tight. surely over time the spring should stretch and be weaker, rather than stronger?

350ep70gr

Member +
what is the free length of it out of interest?
mine seems a bit odd as it whines which would suggest the spring is too tight. surely over time the spring should stretch and be weaker, rather than stronger?

As the manual says:Measure free length of tension spring. Replace tension
spring if free length is not 1.512" (38.40 mm). Measure tension
required to extend tension spring to 1.866" (47.40 mm). Replace
tension spring if tension is not 7.3 lbs. (3.3 kg).

Chris

weeJohn

Lifer
Chris nailed it there Dunc, as I have it for 4E specs.

As you can see from the way its checked, the extension is checked as well. The metal can harden over time and make the spring harder to pull, putting to much tension on after retightening it from its original position. But the one I had that done that, also lengthened the spring as well.

Is the pulley bearing on its way out and thats why it is whining?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Chris nailed it there Dunc, as I have it for 4E specs.

As you can see from the way its checked, the extension is checked as well. The metal can harden over time and make the spring harder to pull, putting to much tension on after retightening it from its original position. But the one I had that done that, also lengthened the spring as well.

Is the pulley bearing on its way out and thats why it is whining?

brand new tensioner and idle pulley mate. didnt want to do half a job ;)