Digital SLR's

stuart

Member +
I'm looking to spend around 200-250 on a decent camera, I really would like to have a go with one of the DSLR's that I've seen a few mates use and the pictures are just fantastic.

Would I be able to pick up a used/new one for the price above? Can probably stretch to 300 if I wanted to.

I have a couple of mates who use D40's and their pictures are quality nearly all of the time! Are these a good choice?

Anyone advise me good manufacturers and models?

Thanks
~ Stu

Jaak

Member +
I bought a Canon EOS 350D a good while ago, they are cheap as chips now, probably new around what you are looking to spend.
The photos come out amazing!

dan

Member +
i had the d50 which was pretty decent, i sold that for 220 a year after i bought new for £300

Decent cameras, regret selling it now ive got the lil one.

stuart

Member +
I've been looking at these three..

Nikon D40 - £246
Sony A200 - £269
Olympus E420SE - £279

I think the D40 has the lowest MP with 6, where as the Sony and Olympus both have 10 or 12 iirc!

Think I need to read some reviews...

Yota - Your opinion on the Canon one?

thefalls

Member +
From what i have read on dpreview,in that price range the nikon D40 with a good set of lense is a good buy.Thats what i have been planning for.So this thread comes in at the right time.
More opinions on peoples experience will be valuable.
thanks.

Jaak

Member +
The Canon has all the advanced settings you need. You can change all the settings manually, or there are preset settings for sports, scenery low light..etc.

I have had mine over a year now, best choice ever.

It has a 8.1mp sensor, more than enough. See the latest photos i took on the beach, i had to resize then almost 4x smaller. But the quality is amazing. Especially the colours is the settings are correct. but there is always auto mode:)

The only thing is that the come standard with an 18-55mm lens, wide angle. So if you want good zoom, you'll have to buy an 300-400mm telephoto, but thats only mandatory. its about 150 euros extra (maybe cheaper now.)

milloman

Member +
I have a canon eos 450d and my bro has the sony a200k... i paid some £200 more than he did, was it worth it? No... i mean, REAL camera enthusiasts will come out with all their jargon busting reasoning as to why you should go for the canon, but if you look after it and just crave high quality pictures and customisation, go with the sony! The only differences between mine and my bro's is that mine has live view (where you see what youre pointing at on the screen, so you can use the view finder OR the screen), but his has ISO up to 3200 - very useful IMO!

Personally... stay clear of olympus mate. Nikon, Sony, Canon - safe bets :) Enjoy!

EDIT: The sony a200 came with a more telephoto lens than my canon one did! :( lol (more zoom!)

gv1.3

Admin
Nikon D60, but try remember mate that while the body of the camera is pretty important its the lens that is most important. Nikon do some really nice lens but they do cost a lot. One of my lenses cost much more than the actual camera itself so I would try pick up a d40 cheaply and then select a nice lens to suit your needs when you have a few quid to spare.

gv1.3

Admin
an example of what I mean is... the pic below I took with the D60 and a 75mm - 300mm lens. The same lens would fit the D40 and there is no doubt in my mind the picture would turn out virtually the same.

enfield027.jpg

stuart

Member +
Its a toss up between that Sony A200 and the Nikon D40 one, which one would you guys recommend? I'm swaying towards the Nikon one already as a couple of mates swear by them...