TD04 Conversion Guide?

stuart

Member +
I've had a search on the forums and can't find a definitive list of what to buy/do to convert to TD04.

I'm looking at going over to TD04's, purely as the turbo unit themselves are penny to the dozen and it gives more power than the CT9.

I am on the look out for an adapter plate for my current manifold, I'll also be putting up a wanted thread for a TD04 decat. That's the turbo and exhaust sorted - Will I have to use a tdo4 gasket, from the adapter plate to turbo? (I'm guessing yes...)

I will need to clock the turbo, 6pm position for the intercooler piping (autobahn) so I'll get some bends bought. Will I have to change the stock actuator braket to fit? What does standard actuator boost to? (think its 0.8?)

Oil/water lines I can make up myself easily enough.

I'll be fuelling it through a sard rrfpr and also trimming it with a SAFC2.

Would be looking at running around 0.8/1 bar of boost, would the standard injectors cope with this?

I'll be taking my Glanza rad out and replacing with a civic rad, with the air con fan I have sat in the garage.

Have I missed anything?

Sorry if this is a long-winded, answered many a time post, I've had a search and answered some questions, but not all. I'll be on MSN if anyone wants to discuss it... easier than posting on here. :)

Also a few pictures of clocked TD04's, mainly of the intercooler piping and actuator brackets?

Cheers
Stu

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
td04 decat will need specifically made for you when used with a adaptor plate.

the decats are designed to bolt up alondgside a given manifold.

stock injectors will cope up A OK with 1bar boost.

Phil

stuart

Member +
I can get a decat chopped up and welded to fit no problems.
I'm guessing with an adapter plate it will need a certain amount 'chopping off' for it to line up with the old exhaust system?
Will use bottom half of my exsisting decat for CT9, and then could pick up a decat off an old scoob, but not sure how they sit...

Last edited:

Mike_ep91

Member +
i think this is basically what you will need im lookin into it myself the last week or so.

Manifold/adaptor plate
td04 turbo
downpipe to suit
oil lines/water lines
rotated turbo
pipework for fmic
injectors
management
smaller rad (if manifold isnt stock rad friendly)

think thats everything thats needed for the conversion

stuart

Member +
i think this is basically what you will need im lookin into it myself the last week or so.

Manifold/adaptor plate
td04 turbo
downpipe to suit
oil lines/water lines
rotated turbo
pipework for fmic
injectors
management
smaller rad (if manifold isnt stock rad friendly)

think thats everything thats needed for the conversion

Yup, just need some answers for the above questions I have, lol.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
stu bit of advice, speedvision do good mani's and downpipes, would save you alot of effort and time,
then get a td04 and all the lines, rotate it,
then hey presto, of course get it set up on rolling road.

stuart

Member +
stu bit of advice, speedvision do good mani's and downpipes, would save you alot of effort and time

But then where is the sense of doing something myself? :) I know what you're saying but I have all the tools needed (I hope) just need to know about some of the details. I'd rather do it myself and save alot of money to spunk else where.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i have a manifold adaptor plate, all i need is the downpipe adaptor,
but stu, if you get a td04 flange from there adaptor plate, weld it to your ct9 downpipe, then that is then solved as well.
it appears me and u are goin to be td04.lol

GTdan

In The Closet
I am on the look out for an adapter plate for my current manifold, I'll also be putting up a wanted thread for a TD04 decat. That's the turbo and exhaust sorted - Will I have to use a tdo4 gasket, from the adapter plate to turbo? (I'm guessing yes...)

Yes td04 gasket will be needed for both - the manifold to turbo, and also decat to turbo. Oh if someone has an adapter plate - see if you can borrow it and get some made up??

I will need to clock the turbo, 6pm position for the intercooler piping (autobahn) so I'll get some bends bought. Will I have to change the stock actuator braket to fit? What does standard actuator boost to? (think its 0.8?)

by stock actuator is running 0.65 bar of boost - using an ebc to increase boost acordingly.

I'll be fuelling it through a sard rrfpr and also trimming it with a SAFC2.

Would be looking at running around 0.8/1 bar of boost, would the standard injectors cope with this? Yes - that will be fine Stu

I'll be taking my Glanza rad out and replacing with a civic rad, with the air con fan I have sat in the garage.

make sure its a race spec one - its alot thicker and coolingis alot better - aroudn £60-80 off ebay, as for rad, im using a small rad fan off ebay for £20.

Have I missed anything?

Making up an actuator bracket - mine was already premade - so cant help on that.

But piping is a doddle - as its pointing straight down, some silicone hose bends and some intercooler piping and you be sorted

hope this helps stu

stuart

Member +
Cheers dan, yeah it does mate. I got a mbc in the garage so can wind the boost up that way.
Its the actuator that's winding me up atm!
Gonna go sign up to a scooby forum to see if I can get a knackered td04 downpipe, which will weld to my old CT9 one, might require some fabbing to get it to line up but will get there.

Any chance you can get me some pictures of yours?

GTdan

In The Closet
theres some in my garage - just stripped it off my car last night as fittig new engine at weekend.

but can take some for you when im putting it on engine.

My turbo isnt clocked to 6pm - its to 3pm, so instead of using a straight silicone hose, im using a 90 degree off the turbo.

stuart

Member +
Thanks mate, doesn't seem like too much work involved, just finding the bits I think will be a pain. Next post will be regarding the actual TD04 turbo's themselves, as I know there is a fair few types.

Matchew

Member +
Cheers matt mate. :)

Anytime fella i know this cus i had to help chrisw rotate his and the circlip pliers required to do this are huge!!!

**Edit** Register to scoobynet and post in the wanted section and he got a tonne of replies ranging from £40 to £120 he decided to go for a mint one only covered 12,000 miles and payed around £100 delivered or something like that

Last edited:

stuart

Member +
Yeah I might have one coming off a mate anyway, he's just bought another smashed wrx as a breaker. Need to get up to his and have a look see.

glanzanut

Lifer
you will also need a shorter n/a belt for after removing air con if doin so. also if not meshing the turbo then some form of filter relocation kit made up.:freddy:

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
sut, ive been chatting to a local fabricator and he said he will just use existing ct9 downpipe, and make an adaptor to suit, with my manifld adaptor,
then do the braided hoses for me.
as above, subaru forums will have a few spare, and like u said replacing to turbo once u get other bits is easy.

however i would always say have a management rather than fpr, but purely for safety reasons, but thats me.

if u have a local tuning/ fabricating garage, my advice speak to them and they mite be able to help you keep costs down and still go td04.

Dont think you need only a TD04L from a 04 onwards. I've seen TD04L's from 1997 onwards been used.
Pre-1997 WRX's had a TD04 buhad a bended air-intake if you know what I mean:)