faulty differential or LSD gearbox??

thorpy

Member +
just wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me figure out whats wrong

basically was driving along and when turning sometimes it felt like my front wheels were loose mainly the left one, kinda felt like it was flapping around and then would be fine, just randomly does it sometimes and an occasional knocking like metal on metal

i got it home jacked the car up from both sides and the wheels are solid no play in them at all so there deffo fastened on nice and tight so that rules that out and the wheels bearings etc

when you rotate the wheels forward and backwards a couple of inchs either way there is a clunk comeing from inside the gearbox by the sound of it

been driving it more today as ive been to a car show and it still feels like the wheel is flapping around randomly and the knocking is getting more often its mainly when i stop at a junction and then set off again turning in a certain direction

its asthough the shafts arnt grabbing inside the gearbox like there slipping on the splines keeps slipping and grabbing again hence the clunking

any ideas or similar problems anyone???

storey

Member +
Alright thorpy mate. I'm sure padders said that ur gt had a LSD but wasn't working right. Could be a broken LSD.

thorpy

Member +
yeh they spin freely, well saying that you cant like spin them and they carry on spinning like it would do on a bicycle but they seem free enough

the lsd could be buggered i suppose but ive owned the car neally 2years since padders had it so i wouldnt have thought it would last as long as that without finally giving in could it :S?

smythy75

Member +
the bearings inside have collapsed by the sound of things, if its the diff bearings £80 for 2, if its the main shaft bearing, its £80 for it!

thorpy

Member +
where abouts would i get them from? my gearbox has also got a slight crack in it next to the filler hole which is leaking slowly is that fixable at the same time as replacing bearings or should i try and source another lsd gearbox from somewhere instead?

smythy75

Member +
toyota

as for your gear box, best think to do is buy another and get your diff put in it or else get your old one welded!

thorpy

Member +
okie dokie thanks will see if i can source a new box then :) and pop down to a local gearbox place about repairing mine see which will work out best 4me

Ted

Member +
if its an lsd box with non lsd oil in it it would make that noise. possible cheap fix.

thorpy

Member +
ooo i hope so that would make sense actualy because ive had a cv boot changed bout a month ago n they drained gearbox n put new oil in

think it was 75w90 i got the oil for them from local car place they checked wot oil it shud use n gave me that never sed owt bout lsd so i presumed they was all the same

but its been fine since i had it done up until the weekend and why would that be causing it to knock n wobble asthough something is loose?

I hope it is as simply as that can spend money on other parts then :)

Rob H

Member +
What lsd is??? make of the diff would help I had a cusco 1.5 track diff and it is quite normal for those to be very juddery I used Redline oil in mine with the adertive it made it better but I still got people saying ya cars F:confused::)K
but I now different!!!

thorpy

Member +
havnt got a clue on the diff all ive ever been told is that its the optional extra factory lsd box the garage that deals with my car have been intouch with toyota yesterday and they said that i have got the right oil in mine they said they all take the same lsd or not so god knows

waiting for a few gearbox places to get back to us for repairing mine at the mo

Ted

Member +
havnt got a clue on the diff all ive ever been told is that its the optional extra factory lsd box the garage that deals with my car have been intouch with toyota yesterday and they said that i have got the right oil in mine they said they all take the same lsd or not so god knows

waiting for a few gearbox places to get back to us for repairing mine at the mo

all take the same, lsd or not! theres youre problem.....:homer:

thorpy

Member +
yeh that did come into my mind when the garage told me thats wot toyota told them does anyone know what it should take? Mite ask oilman aswel c if he knows

GT-TUNING

Fresh Recruit
just wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me figure out whats wrong

basically was driving along and when turning sometimes it felt like my front wheels were loose mainly the left one, kinda felt like it was flapping around and then would be fine, just randomly does it sometimes and an occasional knocking like metal on metal

i got it home jacked the car up from both sides and the wheels are solid no play in them at all so there deffo fastened on nice and tight so that rules that out and the wheels bearings etc

when you rotate the wheels forward and backwards a couple of inchs either way there is a clunk comeing from inside the gearbox by the sound of it

been driving it more today as ive been to a car show and it still feels like the wheel is flapping around randomly and the knocking is getting more often its mainly when i stop at a junction and then set off again turning in a certain direction

its asthough the shafts arnt grabbing inside the gearbox like there slipping on the splines keeps slipping and grabbing again hence the clunking

any ideas or similar problems anyone???

The plates inside your dif has dried up of oil it doesnt sound posible i hav saw it alot as i work at gearboxs everyday.