Non OEM - CV Joints - opinions?

SupaStu

Member +
Has anyone fitted non OEM cv joints and had no ABS related problems?

I bought two from camskill and the ABS ring looks wider and when fitted it caused errors in both left and right sensors.

Has anyone fitted camskill ones without errors, and did you notice differences in their size etc?

Did you have to remove the abs ring from the toyota ones and try to fit on the generic ones?

I dont want to have to buy full driveshafts with cv joints from toyota to fix this problem, as I never had any issues with ABS prior to this.

Also do they have an adjustable air gap? One of the sensors is new and everything else looks spot on.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
ive only fitted them to my non abs model so cant comment mate.

all i can say is they arent as good a fitment as the oem ones, there is a bit of a gap that allows crap in which could damage the seal. stock joints had a part that overlaps to try and stop this.

saying that. i have had no problems as yet!

SupaStu

Member +
I have no problem with the actual fitting and running of them, but they seem to be incompatible with ABS, need to see if anyone has fitted them successfully with ABS.

If they dont work ill need to spend about £500 on toyota driveshafts with cv joints on the end.

dac69er

Super Moderator
someone on here must know???? i have a GT with abs but the CV joints havnt needed to be changed yet!

SupaStu

Member +
The ABS rings are wrong and the oiginals will not swap over

Jesus that is bad news! Dave, do your replacement cv joints work with ABS? Or is it all of these replacement non oem cv joints?

Thats the first I have heard of this, I still have the old toyota ones, so the old rings wont fit on the new ones?

:(

If thats the case then noone (who wants abs) should be buying these. I have already paid out for three cv joints (1 was the wrong size, and the mechanic damaged it so I can send it back!), two are fitted.

So i need to go to toyota for £500 of new joints then?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you still have the original joints and they arent completely shagged you can get them reconditioned. not as good as new cv joints but a damn site cheaper.

Jesus that is bad news! Dave, do your replacement cv joints work with ABS? Or is it all of these replacement non oem cv joints?

Thats the first I have heard of this, I still have the old toyota ones, so the old rings wont fit on the new ones?

:(

If thats the case then noone (who wants abs) should be buying these. I have already paid out for three cv joints (1 was the wrong size, and the mechanic damaged it so I can send it back!), two are fitted.

So i need to go to toyota for £500 of new joints then?

SupaStu

Member +
How the fuck do I find this out now, I have never heard of these being wrong before.

Yeah and my old joints are shagged, hence the change to new ones.

CV joint conspiracy...

96v

Member +
nightmare, iv just ordered 1 from camskill before reading this!!!!!! im going to see if i can get a refund in the morning!!!!!! especially if they bin tried n do not fit

SupaStu

Member +
Shit ive spent about £150 or more on these, too late to return now as I fitted them. Looks like i will be going to toyota for the whole lot :(

Its too dangerous driving without ABS, its saved my ass lots of times.

Bad news all round.

96v

Member +
surely toyota just sel the c.v joints without having to buy the driveshaft aswell?? that doesnt make sense!!!!!

Sean_GT

Member +
I am also have the same problem, i fitted one of these and i now also have the ABS light on permanently:(

96v

Member +
lol, i cant believe this!!! surely this has happened to someone who has found a solution???
i may just get my old 1 reconditioned, wont be as gud as brand new but will certianly end the bother of trying to find one that fits!!!!