need a bit on info

rhys711

Fresh Recruit
well lads got a stock turbo and mani off a friend had very little use and is as good as new got it for free so have the old one out and ready to put the new one in sum one said to me i must put oil in to the turbo before i put it on is this true and if so where first time i tryed this so i wana be sure thanks

If you have the turbo off it would be wise just to put a drop of oil in it also take off the king lead and leave the pipe that goes from the turbo to the sump off at the sump side then turn the car over until oil drops out of the pipe which shows theres oil in the turbo. Then plug it back into the sump and put the king lead back on sorted thats the turbo primed.

carrington865

Member +
If you have the turbo off it would be wise just to put a drop of oil in it also take off the king lead and leave the pipe that goes from the turbo to the sump off at the sump side then turn the car over until oil drops out of the pipe which shows theres oil in the turbo. Then plug it back into the sump and put the king lead back on sorted thats the turbo primed.

x2.

priming the turbo and instructions::very important please read:::, fundimentaly important to any new hybrid turbo customers Options Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic Download this topic Subscribe to this forum Display Modes Switch to: Outline Standard Switch to: Linear+

Enzo
View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts Jun 11 2008, 02:14 PM Post #1

cheesin since '90

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

to any of you that have purchased a turbo you must take steps to prime the turbo before operating,
i canot stress how important this is as this is the main cause of turbo failure of new turbos due to the seals failing

priming basicaly involves making sure the turbo is lubed up with oil and oil pressure is up to normal peramiters.
to start with obviusly change the old engine oil

ad a wee bit of new oil to the inlet ala pic below

then take the kinglead off distributer cap so nonoe of the other leads get a spark (the one that goes into the middle in the pic)

and cranck the engine over until the oilpressure light goes off on the dash (aprox 30 seconds)

et voila you have now primed the turbo,
Start engine and make it idle for a couple of minutes. Check for any oil or any air leakage. Stop engine immediately if any weird sounds are heard.

on a side note, the turbo should not need running in but if you have any mechanical sympathy its a good idea not to go hammer and tongs with the boost straight away.

hopefully that made some sense,

if any of you peeps are stuck or have any questions dont hesitate to ask

these are the instruction enzo (tong turbo) sent me wen i brought his hybrid. pics didnt work. sorry

rhys711

Fresh Recruit

so where on the turbo do i put the oil in bit worryed now though it was gonna be a bit easyer thanks for the help but id say i need more ha

kieran.s gt

Member +
x2.

priming the turbo and instructions::very important please read:::, fundimentaly important to any new hybrid turbo customers Options Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic Download this topic Subscribe to this forum Display Modes Switch to: Outline Standard Switch to: Linear+

Enzo
View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts Jun 11 2008, 02:14 PM Post #1

cheesin since '90

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

to any of you that have purchased a turbo you must take steps to prime the turbo before operating,
i canot stress how important this is as this is the main cause of turbo failure of new turbos due to the seals failing

priming basicaly involves making sure the turbo is lubed up with oil and oil pressure is up to normal peramiters.
to start with obviusly change the old engine oil

ad a wee bit of new oil to the inlet ala pic below

steps08.jpg

then take the kinglead off distributer cap so nonoe of the other leads get a spark (the one that goes into the middle in the pic)

kinglead.jpg

and cranck the engine over until the oilpressure light goes off on the dash (aprox 30 seconds)

et voila you have now primed the turbo,
Start engine and make it idle for a couple of minutes. Check for any oil or any air leakage. Stop engine immediately if any weird sounds are heard.

on a side note, the turbo should not need running in but if you have any mechanical sympathy its a good idea not to go hammer and tongs with the boost straight away.

hopefully that made some sense,

if any of you peeps are stuck or have any questions dont hesitate to ask

these are the instruction enzo (tong turbo) sent me wen i brought his hybrid. pics didnt work. sorry

jay added

Noticed that you didn't have any shots of the 'messy' end of things Geo so I took a few last night during fitment.

Remember the basin:

That black pipe is the oil return from the turbo so that's what we're aiming for.

Disconnect the pipe. When oil drips out of this you will know that the turbo is getting oil.

Stop the car from starting as detailed above and start turning it over. The average time before you see oil dripping is 20-30 seconds going on what I've seen so far. Remember to give your starter a rest from excessive cranking as Rick says it can damage it. You should now see traces of oil out of the return pipe and can refit it:

rhys711

Fresh Recruit

thanks a lot lads think i have it now those pics are a lot of help one more thing cant make it out in dat pic is where the oil go's is that where the pipe for the intercooler bolts on sorry now for all the questions but just wan be sure