Help help help!

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
just put gearbox oil in my factory lsd gearbox and gear selection has gone very stiff!!!?!!

I took level nut off, started filling, when it came out i tightend it up and put the filler nut on at the top.

Soo ive just drained all the oil and still the same!

what have i done?!

Used 75w 90 semi synthetic

Last edited:

Derek

Lifer
Yeah about 2 1/2 litres, but my gear selection was perfectly fine with no oil in.... so how have i gone from putting oil in to this?

Were you changing the gears with no oil in it? when you drained the oil back out was there any metal filings?

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
gear selection was perfectly fine with no oil in it, oil that came out was black but not checkd for filings, will do that now

Derek

Lifer
Id imagine it is a very bad idea to change the gears without oil dude, you may have caused some damage to the box.

Derek

Lifer
So you drained the oil filled it back up and now drained it again? no filings in either oil? you don't change gears without oil man its like trying to start an engine without oil, it will just cease up. Might be your problem.

dan_ep82

Member +
you wont cause damage just changing gears with no oil in it just as long as its not actually driving.

i dont really see how it could have gone tight! i take it you have't played with the linkages at all?

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
No, there was no oil in it, gear changes were perfectly smooth, I then put oil in it, and it went like that, hard to get into gears, I drained it, and its still like that, and as dan ep82 said i dont think you can damage it. No not touched the linkages! there on as they should be. I used 75w 90 semi synthetic.

dan_ep82

Member +
it wont be damaged just from changing the gears a few times while at a standstill trust me!, have you put oil back in it now?

if not put it back in double check the levels and move the car back and forwards a few times slowly

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
im guna fill it now with 2 litres and then let the car warm up and see if it frees up with a little drive

dan_ep82

Member +
i very much doubt you will do damage but just to be sure drive slowly and for a short distance and check everything

i think after a lil drive you be fine

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
Ive just drove it up and down the street, i can find gears, only just, very hard to find, have i broken it? :(

Last edited:

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
seems orite, no noises, was sposed b going for mot tomorrow aswel, bastard, packed up now, ill try agen tomorrow after work

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
I dont think so mate, I will try again when i get home from work today, fuckin gutted man :(

I dont get whats wrong, I used 75w90 gl5 semi synthetic...

do you think maybe this type of oil is wrong? Is it worth going buying some other oil on the way home and see if that works?

I was speaking to StarletRick from uksc who seems to know his shit and said i need oil suitable for a viscous lsd (this was before I even started working on the car), maybe i need to go and get some different oil

Last edited:

oilman

Trader
You may want to try a GL4/5 oil like Motul Gear 300 or Silkolene Silktran Syn 5. Hopefully that will sort the problem