ignition coil prob, time for upgrade ?

azerty

Supermoderator
I have changed 3 ignition coil during the last six month, so I beleive it is time for upgrade.

what is available on market which has prooven better quality than stock ?

Last edited:

turboflow

Member +
msd ignition compinents are amazing i have heard, you would need to install a crank sensor though to be able to bypass the dizzy and use high powered ignitions

i think

azerty

Supermoderator
yeah, that should be nice.
but I need something emanage can control itself.
a cheap alternative could be to install an MSD Blaster SS Coil

8207_full.jpg

would just need to change plugs

azerty

Supermoderator
emanage has the ability to control up to 6 ignition channel. so it seems it could be done. but I would think it needs to receive each ignition channel first (4 channels in our case), as it is a piggyback it needs to receive a signal to work from.

too bad MSD doesn't do any toyota distri :(

Fatman

Member +
3 coils failing is highly unusual, they have proven to be highly reliable in my experience.. Could you elaborate on the failure?

You're fairly limited in scope on what you can swap to with an emanage running things. I could only suggest tracking down a low km's ep91 coil/leads/cap to suit. They have been proven to cope with impressive power levels and routinely last the life of the car, at least over here..

I don't believe MSD are going to help on the reliability front.

GP82

Member +
3 coils failing is highly unusual, they have proven to be highly reliable in my experience.. Could you elaborate on the failure?

You're fairly limited in scope on what you can swap to with an emanage running things. I could only suggest tracking down a low km's ep91 coil/leads/cap to suit. They have been proven to cope with impressive power levels and routinely last the life of the car, at least over here..

I don't believe MSD are going to help on the reliability front.

Yeah three failing is highly unusual! The coil pack is mounted on the firewall, the bracket that attache's to the firewall is it's grounding point, make sure it is a clean contact patch. What spark plug gap are you runnin'?

azerty

Supermoderator
I have changed the coil only with an old school temporary cylinder type one. and it works fine, so not sure about igniter. would you mean igniter is causing coil to die ?

D3N0

Member +
HKS make an Ignition system for our starlets, but i have never seen anyone with it installed in there car. which is ment to increase power throughout rev range especially higher up, it is said to achieve a 2.5 times better spark over standard. i posted up a thread about it ages ago, but no one really had much to say about it good or bad. so im gonna be ordering mine in january, £362 for unit and £32 for harnesses. so just under £400, a bit expensive some might say. any comments would be much appreciated.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/HKS-DLI-Twin-Power-Ignition-System-12353

Fatman

Member +
That's not an ignition system exactly, it's an ignition amplifier. Basically it's some low tech switching circuitry (pretty much exactly what's in the stock igniter acutally) and some big caps. HUGE amount of money for what's 50% basic physics and 50% bullshit.

Do not expect any real gains.

For that sort of coin I would buy a standalone ECU and a set of coilpacks!

Fatman

Member +
I have changed the coil only with an old school temporary cylinder type one. and it works fine, so not sure about igniter. would you mean igniter is causing coil to die ?

It is hard to tell by your video the extent of the ignition issue, is it intermittant? or having failed, does that coil always misbehave?

I would swap out the igniter before you look too far into replacing the coil with something expensive.

azerty

Supermoderator
the coil is dead for sure. but what was the cause is what I do'nt know.

when I left the track. the car was like running on 3 cylindre. we first beleived it was 3rd cylindre. sparks were not strong enough I beleive. I left the car park. trying to drive back home like this. I've been able to drive 50 metres, then no more ignition at all. no more sparks on any cylindre.
we changed the coil yesterday, and the car just started straight. so I don't know, but one thing for sure, coil wasn't working properly for some reason. as I said with the new coil (which is a old cylindre type) it works fine. I have been able to drive around again without any prob. but this is just a temporary coil. so what to do. source a 4th standard coil to fit ? or source something better ? or what could cause that coil to dye every 3 month ?

Fatman

Member +
the coil is dead for sure. but what was the cause is what I do'nt know.

when I left the track. the car was like running on 3 cylindre. we first beleived it was 3rd cylindre. sparks were not strong enough I beleive. I left the car park. trying to drive back home like this. I've been able to drive 50 metres, then no more ignition at all. no more sparks on any cylindre.
we changed the coil yesterday, and the car just started straight. so I don't know, but one thing for sure, coil wasn't working properly for some reason. as I said with the new coil (which is a old cylindre type) it works fine. I have been able to drive around again without any prob. but this is just a temporary coil. so what to do. source a 4th standard coil to fit ? or source something better ? or what could cause that coil to dye every 3 month ?

Only thing I can think of is heat. Could either be heat from a faulty igniter causing the coil to stay on for too long or heat from the engine bay cooking the coil.

Change the igniter and possibly put a heat shield around it?

GP82

Member +
Or heat maybe generated from the launch control cutting spark? Did it always die on race day or normal/daily driving?

RGM1800

Member +
i also bought that kind of coil. for an upgrade. will be installing that soon and probabley get some datas form the stock coil and the msd for comparison.

i think that coil is very promising and not that expensive. and itll be better to pair it up with an msd box. like 6a and 6al

azerty

Supermoderator
Fatman, maybe I should try an other igniter yes. the strange thing is, when I change the coil it is all fine for a while. I would hae thought igniter works or doesn't. but not inbetween. about heat, I don't know, both coil and especialy igniter are quite far away from main engine heat.

GP82, no it is the first time it occurs during a race.

last race I had an other prob, (but still won it :p). I had electricity short cut, that short cut might have damaged igniter...

Last edited:

Fatman

Member +
Fatman, maybe I should try an other igniter yes. the strange thing is, when I change the coil it is all fine for a while. I would hae thought igniter works or doesn't. but not inbetween. about heat, I don't know, both coil and especialy igniter are quite far away from main engine heat.

GP82, no it is the first time it occors during a race.

last race I had an other prob, (but still won it :p). I had electricity short cut, that short cut might have damaged igniter...

After thinking it over, it's definitely possible it could be the igniter, the igniter controls dwell based on feedback from the ECU, if it went badly wrong the spark would be very weak and would definitely result in the failure I saw in the video. Easy to swap out, I'd try it and see. Nothing to lose!

azerty

Supermoderator
I'll try an other igniter on top of new coil then.
I'll have to wait few month to know if it was the cause, as it works fine for few month when I change coil :(