EP85 Viscous Coupling

nzEP85

Fresh Recruit
Went and put my EP85 on the dyno today (rolling road), made a massive 45kw atw, but sadly only the front wheels were spinning. Had a look underneath and, as I was expecting, the viscous coupling had leaked fluid and was not transferring drive to the rear axle
My question is are these units rebuildable or replaceable, or would I even be able to run a normal solid drive shaft?

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
You prob won't be able to buy one as they prob stopped makin them years ago, but you could get lucky and find one,
I'm going solid shaft next year as I'm spinning up in far too much, I got no leaks and it all seems to be working as it should too:confused:

Ted

Member +
solid shaft would probably work but as the rear axle was designed to work part time you would need to keep an eye on it( go easy on tight turns to avoid wind up- very bad) full time 4wd systems use their centre diffs to allow the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds when doing a tight turn. without a centre diff it puts stress on the transmission(wind up).

the centre viscous coupling can be replaced, on toyodiy the diagram seems to suggest its ordered with the shaft behind it, part no 37120-10010 or 37120-10020 depending on year of manufacture.

mine doesnt spin up at all(yet) , wondered if it would be possible to refill it if the fluid broke down, never knew it was possible to burst it tho, this is a new one.

steve_322

Fresh Recruit
Viscous coupling is still available from toyota, they can't be rebuilt. Although there are better ways around the problem, but don't use a solid shaft as a replacement.

Ted

Member +
Viscous coupling is still available from toyota, they can't be rebuilt. Although there are better ways around the problem, but don't use a solid shaft as a replacement.

hi steve! you rebuilt that damn thing yet?!

steve_322

Fresh Recruit
No time i'm afraid, clutch finally arrived tho, so i'm one step closer. I'm in no panic anyway. I'm noticing vf24 now...

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
Steave what's the story with yours then? I've heard alot of stuff about yours :rockon:, hope it's all true as it must be a beast, c'mon dude send us some pics and specs :kiss:

steve_322

Fresh Recruit
35 works well, not too much lag and pulls well, you'll not regret it. Back on topic slightly, which coupling is listed for your car?

Ted

Member +
there are 2 part numbers listed , when i put in my chassis number it stil lists 2 part numbers. maybe im looking at it wrong:homer:

nzEP85

Fresh Recruit
Mines a 93, so EP85-AHMNK. Thanks for the replies. Ive emailed my local toyota parts guy so should find out soon.

nzEP85

Fresh Recruit
Ok he got back to me and said both the the coupling and the entire shaft have been discontinued. Looks like its 2nd hand or a solid shaft

steve_322

Fresh Recruit
Speaking to the toyota parts man this morning, everything for the ep95 is still available nothing for the 85. Everything is different between the 85 and 95, but it could maybe be made to work, and the 95 bits are about £120 cheaper anyway.

nzEP85

Fresh Recruit
Speaking to the toyota parts man this morning, everything for the ep95 is still available nothing for the 85. Everything is different between the 85 and 95, but it could maybe be made to work, and the 95 bits are about £120 cheaper anyway.

Sweet thanks for that info. Will let him know. Have also asked him to try the EL45/55 Corolla II models

gedis

Member +
solid shaft wont work, tryed it my self. front and back wheels will be driven at different speeds. and you will break something(rear diff in my case) only lasted about a mile driving slow and careful (due whining noise) in a straight line. next thing was big bang and back wheels locked up

finx

Member +
sounds like the rear diff has a higher finnal drive than that of the front/
anyone got specs on diff ratios from ep85? or even ep95?

weeJohn

Lifer
So I should be able to use a gt box if you saying the rear diff moves at a slower speed to the fronts?,

Wont fit Gaz, you could rebuild the 85 box with GT gearing but you need to keep the 85 bell housing and diff.

There might be an electronically operated centre diff option available soon I have heard.