Car moving off problem

Archergod

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys. My car tends to almost stall when I move off from a stand still. At neutral it's about 800RPM then when I throttle and clutch-in the RPM will drop to about 400RPM and the car will feel like it's dying before moving off. I have this problem a while ago and after changing the air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs and engine oil the same problem persist. No mods of the smallest have been done to the car. Thank!

P5ycho

Member +
what is the state of clutch, what sort of mileage does it have,
could be the clutch dragging and causing the car to drop revs and cut out,
also might be worth checking the gaps on the plugs, they might need regapping, oh and if the car has been sat for a while it could be seized brakes causing it not to move

Archergod

Fresh Recruit
Clutch is stock clutch not sure what is it and been on the car not for very long maybe about 2 years. Been a feather footed driver with once in a blue moon high rev driving. Plug is the NGK BKR6E and its changed a couple of hundred kms ago. Cars been on the road daily. The throttle just felt extremely unresponsive and RPM dropped when I give throttle and let let go of the clutch and when it's about to stall it suddenly moved off. Very frustrated!

SupaStu

Member +
Could it be the idle control valve, ICV? Does the idle change at all without using the clutch? Like does it drop down a bit from 800? Has the PCV valve been renewed? They can also help idle problems.

What condition is the distributor in? Has it also been renewed?

andy.i

Member +
just the fuel filter is tight. my old hilux was the same and the fuel filter was loose sucking in air

Archergod

Fresh Recruit
Could it be the idle control valve, ICV? Does the idle change at all without using the clutch? Like does it drop down a bit from 800? Has the PCV valve been renewed? They can also help idle problems.

What condition is the distributor in? Has it also been renewed?

At idle without aircon the rpm is at 800 and drop or raise ever so slightly within the width of the rpm needle (whatever you call it haha) itself.

I highly doubt ICV and PCV has been renewed before me and certainly not ever since I owned this car about 2 years ago. Could these be the culprit?

Fuel filter was tight as hell when I changed it during last servicing, where the problem persisted back then before the change. After changing the fuel filter still no luck. Thought it could be stock air box with stock air filter that's virtually impermeable but removed "S" pipe from the air box to the EFI pipe and still the same. Thought could be throttle body too?

SupaStu

Member +
PCV valve is cheap to replace, think it costs about £25 GBP Toyota. It might help resolve the problem if the valve is old/faulty etc.