Standard or aftermarket panhard rod measurments

RoyalDutchie

Member +
Does anybody have the dimensions of the pan hard rod? Want to weld one up but I do not have a spare one yet sadly.

Jay

Admin
Stock V?

I have a few standard ones lying about, will check them out and report back.

The adjustable ones aren't too expensive but I'd never stand in the way of invention :)

RoyalDutchie

Member +
Stock V?

I have a few standard ones lying about, will check them out and report back.

The adjustable ones aren't too expensive but I'd never stand in the way of invention :)
The stock V indeed. Can you also measure the diameter of the holes where the bolts go through?

Ye not to expensive, was thinking about making one from stainless steel, just have to check which grade is right and find a reason why they aren't many made off stainless.

Also have to choose to go with poly urethane bushings or spherical bearings like the cusco one. Don't know if it makes any difference though.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
I used a stock one, chopped it and welded an adjuster in. Never actually got round to using it though!

RoyalDutchie

Member +
I used a stock one, chopped it and welded an adjuster in. Never actually got round to using it though!
That is to much DIY for me:D

I think they are around 80 Quid's new the adjustable ones
They aren't expensive for sure, but still need to pay a hefty shipping fee to the Netherlands as well. More interested into make one myself, even though I'll probably end up buying one in the end.

SKINY

Lifer
The swivel joints we have in work for adjusting big electrical motors would be perfect to do a cut n weld job with

RoyalDutchie

Member +
Anyone got the panhard rod measured up including the bolthole sizes? Thinking about welding one up of 316 in Januari.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Anyone got the panhard rod measured up including the bolthole sizes? Thinking about welding one up of 316 in Januari.

I did actually fit my diy adjustable rod in the end. All worked a treat :)

If I remember I will go measure up the stock one I removed for you.

What's your email and I will send you a drawing

dac69er

Super Moderator
hopefully this will work.

that should include all the dimensions that are important.

drawing is not to scale of course ;)

Attachments

• starlet panhard rod.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 12

RoyalDutchie

Member +
hopefully this will work.

that should include all the dimensions that are important.

drawing is not to scale of course ;)
Looking good, this information will be put to good use for sure. Do you maybe know the name of those 2 side threaded bolts with the centered nut?

The 12mm and 18mm dia is meant for the bolts right? Do you also have the inner/outer dia of the cylinders where the bushes go?

Thank you very much for all the information.

If you check your account->preferences->Privacy->Start conversations with you. You should be able to check if it is member only or not active.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Looking good, this information will be put to good use for sure. Do you maybe know the name of those 2 side threaded bolts with the centered nut?

The 12mm and 18mm dia is meant for the bolts right? Do you also have the inner/outer dia of the cylinders where the bushes go?

Thank you very much for all the information.

If you check your account->preferences->Privacy->Start conversations with you. You should be able to check if it is member only or not active.

This is the adjustment screw i used. this was used on a stock rod, you can use whatever size you need if making a custom one.

the 12mm hole end is a through bolt fitment. the other end sits on a spigot with a threaded end attached to the axle.

1607198155968.png

i can guestimate the sizes of the bush housings, but the one with the 12mm hole would need pressing out to do that and the other side isnt a fixed size, it has a concave curved shape.
the O/D of the bush housings is pretty irrelvant as there is quite a bit of room.

if you are making a custom one, i would get bushes or spherical bearing rod ends as close a size as you can and then use a spacer/spacers to get the spacings correct for fitment. whiteline use a spacer on the 18mm side ;)

RoyalDutchie

Member +
Wouldn't have guessed they call them jack screws, just need to do abit of research on the topic of galling with zinc and stainless steel:D

What would the spacers be needed for? Let's say I have bushes which have a inner dia of 18mm and 12mm including the metal bush. Would spacers than be required?

Thank you for al the information I'll be making one of stainless steel. The RSR one is stainless if I'm correct they came polished so it should be right?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
Wouldn't have guessed they call them jack screws, just need to do abit of research on the topic of galling with zinc and stainless steel:D

What would the spacers be needed for? Let's say I have bushes which have a inner dia of 18mm and 12mm including the metal bush. Would spacers than be required?

Thank you for al the information I'll be making one of stainless steel. If I Remember correctly the RSR panhard is also made from stainless or maybe aluminium they came polished and by the looks of the welds they must be stainless?

It's the depth of the bushes too. You may get a bush with a 18mm hole, but it's unlikely to be 37mm deep, so you would add a spacer.

Remember that there are big washers on either side of the 18mm diameter bush, so that need considering. You probably need to measure the spigot on the rear axle.

It's far easier to just chop a stock one in half, add an adjuster, fit powerflex poly bushes and then paint/powder coat it imo

It's only stainless on stainless that galls up. If you fit a stainless adjuster with stainless threads, just use anti sieze. You should be ok, but they are still prone to galling up.