LSD Identify

Dilu_GT

Member +
Recently I got a LSD gearbox(EP82 GT) and which I don't know the brand and the type. One thing I can tell it is not a factory LSD which don't have a external LSD part. So it should be a aftermarket LSD, Also It does not has the clunking noise when turning. Can anybody help me to identify the LSD type and model? Thanks.

Jay

Admin
Would need an image of it to stand a chance of identifying it. Theres Cusco, TRD, Kaaz, amongst others.

Dilu_GT

Member +
Would need an image of it to stand a chance of identifying it. Theres Cusco, TRD, Kaaz, amongst others.
It's inside the gearbox, I didn't remove the LSD from the gearbox. What I got is a complete gearbox which has a LSD installed. Do you have any idea why there is no clunking noise when turning? is it because 1 way lsd?

SKINY

Lifer
Yea would really need to see the actual diff to stand a chance of identifying it as Jay sais there are lots of different flavours lol :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
if it doesnt click/clunk, then it is most likely a helical type LSD. i think it is only quaife who make one of those for the starlet i believe?

or someone has lied to you and its a standard diff of course!!!!!!!

Dilu_GT

Member +
if it doesnt click/clunk, then it is most likely a helical type LSD. i think it is only quaife who make one of those for the starlet i believe?

I did check the driveshaft hole and there is no cross bar.(My removed Open diff has a cross bar which is a non lsd) . Also I jack up the car and turned both wheels and they rotate to same direction. ( Removed Open diff wheels rotated opposite sides). So it is a lsd gearbox as per my knowledge. what do you think.?

Jay

Admin
Came in my 5E GT from Trevor on here. Was listed as a Cusco 1.5way LSD at the time. I've never had the need to check it visually as it's been sweet since purchase.

RoyalDutchie

Member +

TRD also made one, and the levin bzr one also fits the starlet(but indeed not made for the starlet).

SKINY

Lifer
When I was putting front spacers on the Caldina I noticed the front diff was clunky when I turned a wheel, far as I'm aware the front and rear are both TRD units :)

RoyalDutchie

Member +
i have a helical trd unit...from the looks of it, i've always wondered if its the exact same unit as in the some toyota 4age levin brz/corolla gt/bz wagons/etc
I also have a trd one(also with the number 31 stamped in it like the picture), only difference I know is the backplate shape of the diffs. Everything else is most likely the same I guess.
trdlsdhelical-BIG.jpg

oem diff levin bzr 6 speed
s-l500.jpg

These make no noise, only the clutch type diffs do if I'm correct. Clutch type diff also lock/release more aggressive in most cases?