4efte front mount intercooler turbo lag

Frankieflowers

Member +
Hi guys. I came to the point that I want to install a front mount intercooler. The question is always the same. Will turbo lag change? How much? Everyone told me that the 4efte engine suffers when keeping the original intercooler. I thought that Toyota knew what they were doing, considering the volume of air needed for the CT9 turbo, but probably customers experience tells that a bigger intercooler is better.
My engine is stock with a custom exhaust and an aftermarket air filter. I bought the pipes kit and a front mount intercooler that a friend suggested. Will this change create a different turbo lag? Yes. How much?
Please tell me what you think about it.

Jay

Admin
Any additional lag you notice will be forgiven once you feel the extra midrange power.

Toyota were working to a design brief, top mounted intercoolers were used on everything from subaru impreza to Nissan Sunny GTR. Fine for the power intended but there's good gains to be had with a front mount.

Frankieflowers

Member +
Any additional lag you notice will be forgiven once you feel the extra midrange power.

Toyota were working to a design brief, top mounted intercoolers were used on everything from subaru impreza to Nissan Sunny GTR. Fine for the power intended but there's good gains to be had with a front mount.
Therefore I will not feel a turbo lag difference and it will still kick in around 2000 RPM like the original?

Jay

Admin
Most kits come with a replacement hot pipe (the upward black metal pipe in your pic) which angles it down. Blitz would be a good bet but the cheap copies are viable too (autobahn88 or japspeed for example)

Depending on the bonnet clearance you should be able to get a U-bend onto it if you are really stuck.

SKINY

Lifer
HDI do a pipe kit that has that bend aswell, that's what mine is, then another U bend into the core. Intake side I got 1 starlet specific pipe into the intake then just went freestyle on the rest of the pipe to the core.

Frankieflowers

Member +
HDI do a pipe kit that has that bend aswell, that's what mine is, then another U bend into the core. Intake side I got 1 starlet specific pipe into the intake then just went freestyle on the rest of the pipe to the core.
I am just missing the U pipe from the hot pipe. The rest is fine. We had to cut a few 90* to stay in the chassis and avoid cutting the TTE diberglass bumper I bought to have space in the front area. I still have to paint it.

i also bought the Starlet genuine fog lights because ai thought they would work on the TTE bumper. I was wrong. I need to sell them. Can you guys help?

7F72FDFC-2EE1-4881-A013-0D323C340264.jpegI B94CA996-AA33-4AA4-AADF-F2F4AD50D599.png

Frankieflowers

Member +
Most kits come with a replacement hot pipe (the upward black metal pipe in your pic) which angles it down. Blitz would be a good bet but the cheap copies are viable too (autobahn88 or japspeed for example)

Depending on the bonnet clearance you should be able to get a U-bend onto it if you are really stuck.
Thank you. I didjn’t get the kit with the hot pipe adaptor. I want to buy it now because my shop Will have to make a custom one and it will be expensive.

Jay

Admin
I don't think they ever sold them separately from the kit but I could be wrong.

Should be a few used ones floating around though, stick up a wanted thread and I'm sure someone will have something.

Skalabala

Member +
Just have the pipe adapter made by an exhaust shop.
As for lag, there is an actual chance it could be less. The 4EFTE came with an intake air temperature sensor.
So the ECU might add some extra timing in the map due to lower intake air temperature.

Reactions: Jay

SKINY

Lifer
I never noticed any increase in lag(minimal anyway on ct9)when I put the front mount on, certainly noticed the gains in the midrange tho :)
Soon as it's back on the road its going straight back the same dyno to see what the changes from the 1st time make