4efe or 4afe box + 4efte in a Corolla E11?

Jay

Admin
I've just used one of those simple plastic locators that came free with some clutches (possibly Competition or ACT). It's been in my tool box for 15 years lol.

Frankieflowers

Member +
I've just used one of those simple plastic locators that came free with some clutches (possibly Competition or ACT). It's been in my tool box for 15 years lol.
I wish I would have one in my toolbox as well. :)
I swear by a bit of brush shaft and tape if needs be :)
I asked a few mechanics and they told me they don’t use any tool. They just center it with their hands then put the gearbox in and press the clutch pedal aiming that it centers by itself. I don’t know about this. I would preferred to have the original tool and be precise. ;)

Frankieflowers

Member +
Should do - I fitted a 4EFTE gearbox to a E11 Corolla 4EFE with no real hassle.

I had a look at an E11 Corolla box I have spare (forgive the state of it):

View attachment 5428

The bell housings (the large bell shaped part that bolts to the block) look to be the same.

View attachment 5432

Two things of note..

The speedo gets it's reading via a manual cable on the 4EFTE gearbox which screws in here:

View attachment 5431

Your car uses an electronic version so that would need swapped:

View attachment 5430

I can give this a whirl to see how easy it is, never done it before so worth exploring.

Also challenge number two is that your engine has a fourth mount on the front of the gearbox that the 4EFTE doesn't have:

View attachment 5429

This will probably get in the way of whatever turbo kit/downpipe you are going to run. There might be some custom fabrication involved which no-one except the guy doing the swap will be able to sort for you. If it were me I'd try running without that mount and see how much it affects things. All our Starlets are running bigger power than the 4EFE and we all live with three engine/gearbox mounts. Can't see it being too big a factor.

The rear and side mounts could be swapped from your current box to ensure fitment to your car. The bolt holes seem to be in the same place as the 4EFTE housing.
Hey @Jay !
My transmission started to make the ticking noise when accelerating or decelerating. We checked the drive shafts but it ain’t them. Back then we discussed how good the 4EFE corolla’s gearbox is on the FTE engine because of the gear rates. Do you think you can help me find one? I honestly haven’t had a chance to talk to someone that compared the gear boxes to essentially see the difference.

Frankieflowers

Member +
@Jay
My 4efe manual 5 gears gearbox worked perfectly fine on the Glanza V 4efte engine. It started to make a ticking noise. It must be the transmission. It also has synchronization issues. 250,000 km are enough. Now I need a new C 56 transmission and I might have found a LSD kit that could fit. I have to be sure that it works. What do you think about it?

Corolla E11 hatchback with 4efe 5 gears manual bell housing
30300-1A420 with C140, C150 gearbox
Starlet Glanza V ep91 4efte/4efe bell housing
30300-10430 with C50, C56 gearbox

Jay

Admin
Hi Frankie, sorry for the delayed response, been mad busy with building work recently.

The internals of a 4EFE box can't take the same battering as the turbo boxes but driving with a bit of mechanical sympathy helps them last a bit longer. Would make sense to replace your old gearbox with a turbo gearbox if you had the option. It will be stronger and you will cruise at a lower RPM thanks to the gear ratios. It'll be slightly slower to 100mph but be nicer to drive overall, the engine won't feel as stressed.

When you say yours is 'ticking' what do you mean? (When warm/when cold/in motion/at idle/high RPM/low RPM/etc etc)

Also worth draining the oil into a clean container and checking for metal filings.

Frankieflowers

Member +
No problem. You are always kind.
The sound that I hear is mostly when the engine is cold and it feels like to pieces of metal hitting each other in the lower right side of the engine. I would say the gearbox. It does it only when the car is running in gear. If I press the clutch the sound disappears. You only hear it when you are accelerating or suddenly dropping the gas pedal. At first I thought it was the right drive shaft but again if I press the clutch the noise disappears.
I do not have a chance to get a turbo gearbox because there are none available and those available are extremely expensive. If you could help me find one I would be grateful!

Last edited:

SKINY

Lifer
That sounds like the thrust bearing/clutch release bearing is going bad Frankie.
Say your just driving normal, top gear and you hear it, then when you press the clutch the noise stops.
A relatively cheap and easy part to swap, just need the gearbox out :)

Frankieflowers

Member +
That sounds like the thrust bearing/clutch release bearing is going bad Frankie.
Say your just driving normal, top gear and you hear it, then when you press the clutch the noise stops.
A relatively cheap and easy part to swap, just need the gearbox out :)
If I’m driving normally and I keep a constant speed. There is no noise until I accelerate giving the transmission let’s say a shock. I hear it louder when the car engine is cold. I think it’s the gearbox. Not thr transmission.

It is not like this noise in the video. You hear the noise only when you accelerate or drop the gas pedal. I hear like two pieces of metal hitting each other like something is off site or loose.

Last edited:

Frankieflowers

Member +
Hi Frankie, sorry for the delayed response, been mad busy with building work recently.

The internals of a 4EFE box can't take the same battering as the turbo boxes but driving with a bit of mechanical sympathy helps them last a bit longer. Would make sense to replace your old gearbox with a turbo gearbox if you had the option. It will be stronger and you will cruise at a lower RPM thanks to the gear ratios. It'll be slightly slower to 100mph but be nicer to drive overall, the engine won't feel as stressed.

When you say yours is 'ticking' what do you mean? (When warm/when cold/in motion/at idle/high RPM/low RPM/etc etc)

Also worth draining the oil into a clean container and checking for metal filings.
I have a question for you. Did you ever pull a EP 91 or EP 82 gearbox apart and compare it with a 4efe C140-150 gearbox? I have been trying to understand, besides the gear length difference, what makes the turbo gearboxes stronger. Technically the gears should be thicker. Correct?

Last edited: