300whp Jamaica style

sx_turbo

Lifer
it was the rod that faild and went into the block.

so one minute gt rods are better then glanza rods.. and now they arent any weaker? i know its not gt rods hes using.. but 5e ones and they are not as thin as glanza ones.

i distictly remember a thread about the glanza and gt rods, and it is pure myth that they are weaker, no one actually said they were weaker people just assumed.

also there only marginally thinner than gt rods, and i'm sure kon had glanza rods tested once upon a time and said they were just as strong.

you can use the stock rods for high boost applications, i know of a gt imported from japan (not sure what engine it had as it was originally just a basic non turbo starlet) that had stock rods with forged pistons running 1.8bar on a td05 18g, and they been coping really well.

anyway were off topic now

Rory

Lifer
Come on people, remember to keep this civil.
Were big boys and girls, not children ;)

As for numbers, the last time i checked it wasnt numbers in my engine bay, so why all the bickering?
Surely people should be happy that the engine is healthy and running well, because at the end of the day, its that, that propells you along the road.

:)

GP82

Member +
Again great thread, good info, i plan to put this method of tune into practice for my next setup! Jus' a quick question; when you shave the factory 4E piston's, what does the compression ratio of engine work out to be? I guess if you don't shave the 4E pistons and wanted to keep a high comp ratio engine, they would hit the head/valves? Did you use the stock head gasket?

The TD05-16g can easily flow 300whp, you can see in the compressor chart posted up if you know how much airflow works out in hp. You can see 350bhp of airflow within it's 75% odd effiency range.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Again great thread, good info, i plan to put this method of tune into practice for my next setup! Jus' a quick question; when you shave the factory 4E piston's, what does the compression ratio of engine work out to be? I guess if you don't shave the 4E pistons and wanted to keep a high comp ratio engine, they would hit the head/valves? Did you use the stock head gasket?

The TD05-16g can easily flow 300whp, you can see in the compressor chart posted up if you know how much airflow works out in hp. You can see 350bhp of airflow within it's 75% odd effiency range.

depands how much you shave them?

gv1.3

Admin
Some people need to have a bit more respect.
Rory is one of the pioneers of starlet tuning and his website and expertise have helped alot of people way before most of you guys hade even seen a starlet before.
Just remember you aint the only ones who have built big power starlets.

I couldnt agree more with the above post. Some people forget that before they even knew what a GT was the member who opened this thread was among the original members on TGTT when tuning these cars was an unknown. I am glad to see long term members letting these know what they think of their comments.

Our community has always been built around information sharing and experimentation. Some members would like to try turn things in to a pissing competition and its pathetic. Luckily they are in a tiny minority and laughed at by most on here.

hardcoreep

Member +
so are you definately sure you are running it on road going fuel?
Coming from a 1st world country the concept of cost-effectiveness may be lost upon you, or you may what you have for granted. :) I don't have a choice. Race fuel isn't something that's not commonly available here. There are only two dealers in the whole island, One for VP, the other for Sunoco. Toluene, which was a cheap alternative, has been put off the market by the legal authorities. And even if I have to use a higher octane fuel to reach 300whp , it will still be done on stock internals. The next cheapest option for us in VP 99 octane which would put is in the same region as the UK.

After November 1st we will go to all E10 fuel, for both octanes. I'm hoping from my own car that I'll be able to use the Ethanol content to increase power output.

1: Yes we used the stock headgasket.

2: I'm not a fan of shaving the pistons. There is one person who does it and he keeps it a secret, but I managed to test an engine that he built and the CR was 9:1

3: I think you're referring to the 5E pistons. They wont hit the head/valves. The reason for not using them is because it keeps the CR at stock, which isn't too boost friendly.

Last edited:

richglanzav

Member +
firstly im sorry if any of my comments were rude, i am actually very interested indeed in seeing what rory builds as he obviously knows his stuff.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

danes right IMO. a massive international meet with all the tuned starlets from different places...malta, jamaica, etc on the same dyno, same day, same conditions, etc. if only that cud happen, then that would settle this and probz be an awesome day. i dnt think this thread had been particularly nasty really. its just difficult for us UK boys to picture a 1.3litre engine kicking out 300+hp on stock parts thats all. i kno a few engines that have gone bang chasing 200whp or less on stock internals. so 300whp seems totally impossible. but we will see i guess...hope it goes well

Last edited:

KrissyB

Member +
Coming from a 1st world country the concept of cost-effectiveness may be lost upon you. I don't have a choice. Race fuel isnt something that's not commonly available here. There are only two dealers in the whole island, One for VP, the other for Sunoco. Toluene, which was a cheap alternative, has been put off the market by the legal authorities. And even if I have to use a higher octance fuel to reach 300whp , it will still be done on stock internals. The next cheapest option for us in VP 99 octane which would put is in the same region as the UK.

fair play if its achievable go for it . but there must be some crazy secret we need to know

gv1.3

Admin
yeh you tell them

The guy who made this thread has forgotten more than you will ever know about tuning cars. If you made an attempt to listen more and reply less you might actually learn something but thats unlikely.

You are what is known as a forum troll.

EvilKnievel

Member +
Its just crazy how everyone in the world can get these great figures whilst us Brits cant..... :(.

We need an international meeting which is highly unlikely. Get GT's/Glanza's from all corners of the earth and all dyno'd on the same dyno in the same day.

This will never happen so there will always be doubt in peoples minds i feel.

:rockon: I agree, lets have a meet here, I got an airstrip on the property, private so no cops no probs! Just bring loadsa hot chicks and leave the euro booze, we gonna party Nam style!:beer:

On another note though, I like threads like this. Everybody in their respective countries have their own tuning methods. So it's alway's intresting seeing how others do things. Here we do things like trying to get as much out using standard things, then we go and supercharge/nos luminas, and use the same car to drive the kids to school. It all depends, give the guy a chance, lets wait and see the result.

KrissyB

Member +
The guy who made this thread has forgotten more than you will ever know about tuning cars. If you made an attempt to listen more and reply less you might actually learn something but thats unlikely.

You are what is known as a forum troll.

fair point I know shit about tuning and would love to learn, see you in 2010;)

Rory keep up the awesome work and great write up

gv1.3

Admin
fair point I know shit about tuning and would love to learn, see you in 2010;)

hopefully in 2010 you will be able to challenge threads like these with valid arguments of your own and not just replying with other peoples opinions and a total lack of technical knowledge or experience. You had better get a move on there is only a few months left in 2009 Yo!

hardcoreep

Member +
Its just crazy how everyone in the world can get these great figures whilst us Brits cant.....
I'm not sure about this. Several cars I've seen here have surpassed or equalled figures I've know from elsewhere. I must also add that skepticism about what power a Starlet could make happened here as well. People started believing when the dyno sheets started hitting the circuit and the quarter-mile times backed them up as well.

I think the English have a very poor view about the capacity of JDM cars that doesn't exist on this side of the world. 500hp Honda Civics, 1000hp Skylines, 600hp Supras, etc are all here and in the USA.

Funny enough we have the same problem with the Evolutions and Subarus here, we just cant get the figures or the reliability that the Europeans can, lol!

KrissyB

Member +
hopefully in 2010 you will be able to challenge threads like these with valid arguments of your own and not just replying with other peoples opinions and a total lack of technical knowledge or experience. You had better get a move on there is only a few months left in 2009 Yo!

to be fair you dont know what I have been up to over the last 6 months with my car or indeed my previous experience with cars, challenge maybe or maybe not.

But using other people opinions NO certainly not Dylan , those opinions are my own and if i don't think 300whp is possible ill say it. Wether or not I lose over 100rep points for it which i have it doesn't bother me. (maybe a little lol)

The way I went about it was very very selfish and immature and also disrespectful to fellow and also international members.

The way I go about expressing things yes it may put peoples backs up and I do deeply regret that but don't for one minute think I don't know what I'm doing with cars. Yes im learning step by step and step by step is hard, my build has not been left with an engineer to spec my engine , turbo , head etc etc it's been specced by me and close friends and all the work to the chassis, fitting etc etc has been aso carried out by myself.

2010 will hopefully be great for me and yes there are members which are so so helpful and me yes I might be a (FORUM TROLL) but ask any member I have helped and positive posts I have put up, im not all bad

Last edited:

richglanzav

Member +
rory, lets try to get this back to a bit of normality.

if the 5efhe is so good and can be run at high power, im curious to know sumthing. i have a standard 4efe non turbo...is there any use for this if i wna build up an engine with good power, around 250whp? i know very little about actual building of engines...so any help will be repped cheers.