4E-FTE Swap, Fuel & Spark Problems

Navi

Member +
Hi,

I've swapped a 4E-FTE in my EP71, see my website 4agte.nl for details and pictures.

Listen up, i'm having problems starting the car. I had the loom custom made by Saggitarius, here is the schematic:
Circuit%20opening%20relays.jpg

I can crank the car, and it turns over fine. Problems are:
The check engine light does NOT come on when turning on the ignition.
The fuel pump does NOT prime when turning on the ignition. (normal????)
The fuel pump does NOT come on when cranking.
I have NO spark when cranking.

I have bridged the A1 and A2 relays in the (Circuit Openings Relay stuff), and yes, the fuel pump turns on because 12v is directly applied.
I then see fuel pressure on the gauge and the injectors are firing. NO spark tho.
Also the check engine light lights permanently, even when ignition is OFF.

If i just bridge the A2 relay, and not the A1 and then start cranking, the pump DOES turn on. So the problem seems to be in engaging the A2 relay.
I have replaced it with another of same type, but problem persists.

I have a couple of earths connected from engine to chassis, 1 small wire from the alternator, 1 small wire and 1 thick wire on the gearbox.
And a seperate earth for the inline walbro fuel pump.
And the earth on the idle control valve.
Thats all earthing i have from engine to chassis. Is that ok?

Ignitorframe also has small earth wire directly to battery (as test) on it.
I dont see any earth point on the coil. But thats ok i guess, ignitor grounds it.

Fuses are checked, measured with multimeter etc.

(battery, rotor, dizzy cap, plug leads and plugs are all brand new)

Did a diagnostic test as well with the relay bridged, check light flashes constantly so no error codes.

Does anyone have ideas what could be wrong here?

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
Have you used the original circuit opening relay with 3 coil connections? Sounds like the signal FC from the ECU is not operating.

Navi

Member +
Yea i thought so too that FC is not operating.

I didnt make the wiringloom but it contains 2 relays with both 1 coil, see the schematic. (Relay A1 and A2)

Is that a problem?

Navi

Member +
Fixed it, it runs! Turned out signals NE and G2 signals were reversed in the distributor plug!

Now, it runs, but still, no power to ECU on ignition on, and fuelpump doesnt start running. Have to bridge these manually to make it run.

Need to figure out how to fix these 2 (smaller) problems now.

Navi

Member +
FIxed one problem, ran a separate 12v line to the ecu when IGN on and crank, this works, got a check light now as well.

Still fuel pump will not start running. FC is not being grounded.

Anyone ideas? Relay is fine, cables fine, runs to right pin on ECU etc, just will not switch.

I heard the ECU will need the NE signal, but i assume it has that now because it runs when i bridge the pump..

Does it need more signals? MAP sensor? STA? NSW?

Texx

Super Moderator
Does the ECU see battery voltage at the STA terminal when the engine is being cranked?
Have you actually checked if the FC terminal is being switched to ground?
Now the engine check light is working have you checked for any stored fault codes?

You should ideally be using a voltage suppression relay rather than a typical normally open relay to switch the fuel pump on.

Navi

Member +
Yea checked for fault codes, there are none, just nice constant blinking.

FC is not being switched to ground.

I will check for 12V at STA terminal while cranking!

Whats a voltage suppresion relay?

weeJohn

Lifer
The original Toyota circuit opening relay that switches the fuel pump on has 2 coil connections to switch it and also a resistor capacitor suppression circuit built into it. You can see it in this pic......
ep82ecuwire1-1.jpg

ep82ecuwire2-1.jpg

Although the wiring diagran you have used is very close, it could be this issue that makes the differnce.

Navi

Member +
Yes i did, turned out 2 wires out of 4 were reversed on the distributor, NE signal and G2.

They were like this:
G2 - Pin1 (blue/green wire)
G1 - Pin2 (orange/blue wire)
NE - Pin3 (white/blue wire)
G- - Pin4 (blue/yellow wire)

But they should have been:
NE - Pin1 (white/blue wire)
G1 - Pin2 (orange/blue wire)
G2 - Pin3 (blue/green wire)
G- - Pin4 (blue/yellow wire)

When you look at it like this:
distributor.jpg

mrpeal55

Member +
thanks for the reply. i haven't touched the dizzy at all though. basically all i have done is replaced the turbo. when following the priming instructions i removed the efi relay instead of the fuse. i plugged it back in and when i switch the ignition on there is no engine check light and the pump doesn't prime????. the car still turns over at the starter, i took the king lead off and there is no spark. i'm thinking ecu but i don't know how to test. i have checked all fuses and all were ok. could i have blown my ecu???.

Navi

Member +
Blowing an ECU is unlikely, possible, but doesn't happen alot.

If you dont get an check engine light when turning the ignition on this means the ECU doesnt get its 12v, so its before that, and only 2 things can cause that as far as i know, broken fuses or broken relays.

mrpeal55

Member +
the terminals that plug into the open circuit relay have no power to any of them but efi relay ok. what does the ea2 sign mean in jays diagram, between efi relay and open circuit relay. is it a resistor???. would this cause the ecu not to power on ????

Navi

Member +
Hmm if the EFI relay has power and the circuit open does not, this is normal i think, because the EFI relay has to switch on to provide power to the next relay.

You could try bridging them, thats what i did.

Navi

Member +
well the problem is back, pushing the car out the garage and it wouldent start again. amazing, it started fine for weeks in the garage.

same problem, fuel pump will not come on, FC pin is not being grounded.

check relay...ok
replaced relay anyway...still nothing.
12v at relay..yes
bridge relay...starts and runs fine.
checked FC wire from relay to ECU with multimeter, seems fine.

the weird thing is it went fine for some time...

what could this be?

Navi

Member +
found it, lose connection in the small ecu plug! when i fiddle it it starts and not and i hear the relay clicking