4efte making nice howling noise. HELP!

Toplap

Lifer
ok so after the headache that was this weekend, my car is still making a rpm dependent swooshing/howling noise. Almost sounds like a modified Supercharger reving.

cliff on this weekend:

-ordered 5efe Paseo parts for (water pump, timing belt, seal kit and accessory belt) my water pump bearing was shot
- disassemble front side of motor, marked timing (thank god!)
-replaced the cam/crank seals
-took water pump out of box, noticed it is the same pump, but has a bolt on style pully design (but no pully)...the 4e water pump has a press on pully
- Marked the new belt next to the old....notice there are 4 extra teeth....after counting it 5 times
-"old" timing belt was only 15k miles old, so i just reused it
-searched 2 junk yards for a "bolt on" style pully for the water pump, finding one out of a 3ee Tercel.
-retensioned and tightened everything
-filled oil/coolant
-started it up

the car runs fine, new water pump definitely much better.....but now the motor makes a weird howling/whirling noise...almost to me as if the alt belt was too tight. So i loosened it. Still there. So i completely took the Alt/water pump belt off. STILL THERE! ...so i loosened the timing belt tensioner slightly to see if by some weird chance that was too tight.....still makes the sound, so i tighted it up as much as possible. Yep still there.

It got way too late to be working on my car, so i just called it a day. My best guess is that something is rubbing the outter crank pully...maybe the timing cover or possibly a faulty tensioner....anyone else got some words of advice?

riko666

Member +
sounds to me like the turbo is on it's way out - it's the noise typical of when you have play in the turbine shaft, allowing the blades to ever so slightly scrape on the inlet when spinning, creating the howling sound. Does the sound come on louder as the turbo comes on boost?

Toplap

Lifer
sounds to me like the turbo is on it's way out - it's the noise typical of when you have play in the turbine shaft, allowing the blades to ever so slightly scrape on the inlet when spinning, creating the howling sound. Does the sound come on louder as the turbo comes on boost?

the sound seems to be coming from the front side of the motor though. like the timing belt/crank pully area. The turbo has never once made a noise prior to this weekend. I didnt touch anything on the turbo, nor have i gotten into boost yet, since the water pump/timing belt job. I didnt feel like driving it if something wasnt right.

the sound doesnt sound like a metal on metal sound... but idk...its always possible

59bhp

Member +
ive got the same sound and im pretty sure my alternator bearing is knackered, same thing happened to me when i took all the belts of to do the timing belt.

Not replaced it yet so cant confirm but thats what ive narowed it down to.

Toplap

Lifer
ive got the same sound and im pretty sure my alternator bearing is knackered, same thing happened to me when i took all the belts of to do the timing belt.

Not replaced it yet so cant confirm but thats what ive narowed it down to.

My noise happens even when the Alt. Belt isnt attached. i ran it on only timing belt for a good 2-3 mins and it still displayed the noise.....I honestly have no clue why, out of the 20 or so timing belt jobs i have never encountered this. Sounds like a tensioner, but i have never seen one go bad, nor do they even look worn enough to be bad. maybe you have the same issue idk

Dave.

Member +
oh, you've not actually been driving it?

I assumed you were getting the noise instead of coming on boost. I'm probably wrong then :(

Toplap

Lifer
oh, you've not actually been driving it?

I assumed you were getting the noise instead of coming on boost. I'm probably wrong then :(

No, it was making the noise at like 10:30 last night as i was finished with everything....i was frustrated and tired so i called it a night. Luckly i have another vehicle that is somewhat more reliable, in the fact that its newer and a Honda lol. I reved it a few times, but never put any load on the engine. I'll try and drive it some tonight and maybe get a video if at all possible