4efte seems to be running on diesel after 2 months of no driving...

riko666

Member +
Well as expected after not driving the car for nearly 2 months, the car is running like ass - very lumpy and low cold idle (800rpm) and when warmed up, the car just stalls as the idle is too low.

The petrol is obviously gone past it's due, there is LOTS of smoke and soot from the exhaust, and it smells like Kerosene. Anyway, removed the EFi fuse, still the same, now I've just disconnected the battery and will see if it behaves...but just went for a drive, but whenever I come to a stop, the engine comes to a stop...

Any ideas/advice beyond it being the bad petrol? Can't be buggered to get more petrol right now

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well apart from that check the usual culprits aka the plugs & dizzy cap, u never know there could b a little corrosion in there.. but i doubt it.. is the battery low? perhaps u need to take it for a good thrashing .. also after bein idle for so long i would have reccomended u change the oil as well..

oh, & go top up mr cheap skape lol :p
kon

something sounds like its either clogged up......leaking or not reacting like it should

try some fuel injector cleaner......put in some new fuel......and try what the others have said....check idle control valve (maybe clogged)........check leaking hoses,,,,,,check tps, etc

riko666

Member +
actually the oil could do with a change, and I'll check a spark plug though it should be fine....only been used for 5000mi or so. Battery - it's a POS, dies every 3 days if left connected

Somhairle

Lifer
you sure something isn't draining the battery?

Like the diode on the alternator malfunctioning?

Change the fuel filter, and get some fresh petrol, you could probably do with some injection cleaner or a fuel treatment....

check the plugs, leads and dizzy too..

good luck!

Monkfish

Member +
Could be condensation and/or corrosion in the electrics, be it battery terminals, plugs, leads, dizzy or anything else like that. I'd change the battery, get some fresh fuel and check the entire ignition system for problems.

riko666

Member +
right - just put half a bottle of injector cleaner and around 10L of petrol, not it. Guy at the motor factors seems pretty adamant it's idle control valve, so before taking dizzy etc... apart...where is it?

Somhairle

Lifer
Idle control valve is on the left hand side of the inlet manifold.

Held in by 2 12mm head bolts.

Kinda looks like a little bottle on to the side of the manifold, above the fuel regulator.

riko666

Member +
ok...well....it's not the Idle Control Valve...sprayed some carb cleaner on it, and into where it goes on the intake manifold and same story. Ramses, what do you mean by injectors, fuel injectors?

riko666

Member +
Cheers for that chap...from what I can see, Duncan's injectors were dirty? I mean I did remove my fuel rail once in the attempt to get a Intake Manifold Gasket installed, and the surround area was very dirty...but thing is, why would the car run fine, and then left alone the injectors suddenly get dirty?

I suppose, any floating particles left in the fuel in the injectors would've settled, clogging them...I'll remove the rail and injectors tomorrow and spray some carb cleaner on them, see if that sorts it, otherwise what is left? Sensors? As the car is overfuelling badly...it's just spewing out soot. Alternatively, I should have my 7MGE Injectors coming anyday...

Last edited:

Johnny_C

Lifer
sounds like fuel filter or fuel pump,my brother had the same prob with his 106,we changed both and its perfect now.

riko666

Member +
Hmm, thing is, I can't go round buying new parts and replacing them without the guarantee that's the fix. Sensors-wise, surely I'd have an ECU light pop up? MAF Sensor is 3-1 or something etc...

I'll try check the Injectors & Fuel Filter tomorrow, but I'm still struggling to understand why this hasn't happened to me with a 5efe or 5efhe, but now with the 4e i'm greeted with this?

Johnny_C

Lifer
source a 2nd hand pump then.
i assume the prob is mechanical as you are not showing any thing in diagnostic mode.

riko666

Member +
Seems like my diagnostic port isn't working :(

Anyway, what I can confirm is that the spark plug tubes smell of "damp" and most of them are quite rusty...moisture seeping causing a bad spark? Anyway, I wire brushed each spark plug, and after putting them back in, put some WD40 in them and onto the ends of the Spark Plug Wires. I also removed the injectors, Doused them in Carb' Cleaner and cleaned the surrounding area on the intake manifold. I may check the distributor cap after the WD40 has dried from the Spark Plug tubes..but otherwise, I've just got fuel filter left to check.

And Johnny, what am I supposed to check the pump for? It clicks and "fizzes" fine on IGN (ACC) when starting...and unfortunately, like the Glanza's I have a bonded Fuel Pump cover :(

By the way, does anyone have a spare Fuel Injector O-Ring they can send a.s.a.p? I've misplaced one