A few pics of my 3SGTE starlet

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Hey peeps, i hope the mods dont mind i would just like to post up a thread to show what ive been up to the last few days basically reviving my 3sgte powered starlet as it was sitting for 10 months with various problems such as:

Well over boosting causing detonation,
No exhaust system at all,
No air filter,
White, now damaged wing,
now damaged side skirt,
Very bent slam bar,
Water boiling over after a breif drive,
Suspected crankcase pressure,
smoking on idle(blue) Has got to be turbo as it never did on last turbo and smoked the minute i put it on.
Front chassis Bar split by gearbox mount.
Fan not turning on.
Fan wiring melted due to no exhaust burning them.
Now need new bonnet due to friend forgetting to pin the bonnet down :slap:

These are all the problems that built up over a while of slight neglect towards the car and not being on top of the game. The car was spot on until i changed to a side exit exhasust and blew the first turbo. From then on the car was a downwards spiral.

I will be m making a members car thread in the next few day with some pictures of the start of the build for all the newbies that may be interested.

Anyway here are a few pictures of when i picked it up from my mums ad brought it to my house and a few of the problems.

Need new lower door panel too:
002.jpg

Melted cables(which ive now re-wried)
009-1.jpg

Front chassis split(Needs a bar/re-weld
012-1.jpg

015.jpg

My really dodgy exhaust LOL:
013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

Now this is basically what ive done:
Quick fix air filter which reduced the over boost alot combined with a CAT that my mate had lying about. Now holds 1.3 bar, just about lol.
013-1.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

Stripped all the interior and gave a general tidy up:
003.jpg

006.jpg

New Recaro seat Fitted(thanks to BEATS/IAN)
007.jpg

008.jpg

Temp wheels/willwoods cleaned up:
011-1.jpg

Wheels that are going on just waiting to put tires on:
Newwheelstester001.jpg

Clean up of the car:
004.jpg

005.jpg

Freshened engine bay:
016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

Dont look at the bumper for now lol....
021.jpg

But yeah thats what ive been up to, and ive put in about 15 hours into it so far...

Its getting a new custom exhasut system very soon and hopefully it will bring that boost down to around 1.1-1.2bar which is safer.

See how long it can last on this engine and then going for a forged engine on a GT3076 or 82 aiming to push around 500BHP with a decent amount of torque.

The civic is no longer getting any treatment and using it as it was intended as an everyday car lol. But looking to put it off road for the moment and bring the starlet back on road to use as needs M.O.T + Tax and need to swap insurance over....

Anyway thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
good stuff, keep it up mate,

i'd get that crossmember really beefed up rather than just patched, was never designed to take the abuse that a gearbox mount would give it :)

dantheman

Member +
yes yes dan. not surprised that crossmember has cracked did the guy not think of re enforcing it before bolting that mount to it :confused:

shame the civics taking a back seater, you not supercharging it now then?

has been a while since the old starbo, good to see its ganna get used again :rockon:

Jay

Admin
About time we saw this machine again - yes there's a few issues but that's all part and parcel of owning something like this. Once you see boost again all the troubles are forgotten (for a while at least) ;)

One thing that does worry me though is that front panel. Was that part of the engine conversion work?

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Seat looks great Dan, regret selling it everytime i turn around a corner and nearly end up in the passenger seat, Recaro was amazing. :)

goldenvtr

Member +
about time dude, will have to bring it down Shakespear :cool:

and as rory said that mount is pretty bad, i personaly think it needs retdoing with some form of rubber/ flexing in it

Last edited:

Dan3SGTE

Member +
thanks peeps!

Yeah that Crossmember needs some attention aie? Dam thing is split in half.

I think it was a matter of trial and error at the point of the build. I new very little back then compared to now too so i was none the wiser. Either re-enforce that bar or look into a more flexable mount to reduce some of the pressure. I can get it welded up for fairly cheap so that might be a quick temp fix.

@Jay your so right there, one quick drive and that passion came rushing back. And yes that was part of the conversion.

@Dan, i wont be supercharging the civic man. My heart is in the starlet. Its not always about how good a car is but how it makes you feel. Just driving the starlet through 2nd and a bit of 3rd left me grinning for hours. That says it all. The civic is good for what it is and should be left how it is now. You are just gona have to take me out on yours to show me how it takes boost ;)

@Alex, I would love to make it for japshow but i have a feeling it wont be ready in time for the long travel :(

@dan(golden) I should be able to make it a RWYB @ shakespear within the next couple of months :) Will let ya know and i can meet you there.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Good stuff Dan, finally a member who's showing that they can work through the tough times instead of just selling up when things don't go to plan!

Get your name on the track day, give you something to aim for!

EP82

Member +
Good stuff Dan, finally a member who's showing that they can work through the tough times instead of just selling up when things don't go to plan!

X2 far too many people on here just throwing down tools and breaking cars at the min imo

Dan3SGTE

Member +

Get your name on the track day, give you something to aim for!

Hey Sam, would love to mate but dont wana hit a track in it just yet, i would rather wait at least till i have the built engine......

Oh yeah, i couldnt sell up, shes my pride and joy. Ive spent waaaaaaay to much of my time on this car. Wouldnt be right..

getting there mate ill come up at some point and take a proper look! :)

Definietly mate, more then welcome any time. Can take you out for a quick spin to as youve never been in it.

ChrisGT

Member +
Fit as fuking shit y0!

PS. I am drunk as shit, just done my last exam..uni is over! Suck on tht bithces!

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
:rockon:
bout time rude boy, i got a wing here if you need one?
big engine in little car with solid engine mounts and dan driving = shell ripping apart:p

Dan3SGTE

Member +
:rockon:
bout time rude boy, i got a wing here if you need one?
big engine in little car with solid engine mounts and dan driving = shell ripping apart:p

:p you know it gaz

oh yeah i'll have that wing off ya! It aint bent or nothing no? As i wont this to be mint this time round :)

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
yeah will double check mate but am sure it's fine,
you coming to silverstone 2moz, like 5 V-TAK'S convoy from here