a small brake upgrade

AdamB

Member +
Looks good! Did you use the Fiat 20v turbo calipers? What size wheels they under as I didn't think they would fit under anything smaller than 16".

AdamB

Member +
What size are the discs on those? I think the fiat ones are like 305mm hence why they won't fit under 15" rims. Most people don't go over 15's because it upsets the handling of the car, 15's work well on these little cars.

dark_knight

Member +
AdamB, i've driven on the 17s for a while now and comparing them to back when i got the car with the 14" rims then upgraded to 15" and now 17", i feel the steering is crisper and cornering more planted with these rims wrapped in 215/40 tires compared to the previous setups. anyway, it's just my experience with it.
the rotors are 330 x 28mm :)

H_D

Member +
I personally would not run anything above 16s.
It will affect acceleration and cause more stress on the drive shafts and CV joints.
C.V joints are a known weakness on our cars when running more power than standard and when it comes to luanching it and with bigger and heavier wheels it will make them even weaker.

Vincent-ep91

Member +
neither am i but 17`s look shite on a starlet (imo of coarse)
but i still appreciate the work that went into it... saw it on facebook earlier today :)

dark_knight

Member +
thanks Vincent-ep91. well, the brake kit wasn't going to fit under anything smaller than 17" so it had always been my plan from the word go. too bad that the car will be an eye sore to many because of the 17s.. :D lol

turboloon

Member +
it's your car bud you do what you want!!:)..me personally i'm on 15's running wilwood big brake kit but my discs are only 280 or summit like that but deffo big improvement over standard.:)

rwdrev

Member +
it all depends on the way you want your car to look, we all have our own preferences, and its also about the wheels you have. normally by the time you come to be fitting big brakes, the wheels of your choice is already under your car, so then you look for the best upgrade of brakes to fit behind your chosen wheels. i have 16's under mine and really love the look of them, a vast improvement over the 14" bc minilite looking things. so i managed to get fiat 20v turbo 305x28's with compbrake pr7's to fit just snug....
Not the best pics, but heres mine,

5e colin

Member +
thanks Vincent-ep91. well, the brake kit wasn't going to fit under anything smaller than 17" so it had always been my plan from the word go. too bad that the car will be an eye sore to many because of the 17s.. :D lol

dont worry man i am planning on going to 17 aswell 215 is perfect for traction loads of grip , no grip in my 15inch 195 atm

AdamB

Member +
dont worry man i am planning on going to 17 aswell 215 is perfect for traction loads of grip , no grip in my 15inch 195 atm

Change the tyres then to something softer. Or run 15x7 and a 205 tyre. Wider tyre doesn't give more grip, it just produces more drag due to the extra rotational mass.

rwdrev

Member +
your proxes look the part.. :D you seem to have a thicker sidewall.. but looks more or less similar to mine. have you had a chance to measure the actual wheel diameter..? would you please..?

cheers :D they are 195 45 16's. i havnt no, but if any1 knows the clearance of the Team dynamics pro race 1.2's?!?! the car isnt handy to me at the moment. but i do have a pic comared to a car magazine...