A/T upgrade possible?

lemonboi

Fresh Recruit
Hey guys!

I own a 97 Glanza V AUTO and was wondering is it possible or will it make a difference if I were to upgrade the auto tranny? When I say upgrade, I mean swap it with another tranny. If that makes any sense. Right now it's running fine with the stock gearbox, but I was just wondering the possibilities.

Here's a pic of the car just for fun :cool:

Glanza_V_JFP.jpg

Paul_JJ

Member +
I think that would depend on the power you're running, but the current gearbox is pretty good, however I would definitely install an additional oil cooler if I were you just for the gearbox and find a decent gearbox oil - try Fuchs - makes such a big difference.

I think an upgrade will be difficult and expensive, but surely possible - may be a corolla/celica gearbox?

Rev

Member +
Some one may know a better gear box but you may need to give more info on what you are trying to achieve. As said above the glanza is well set up with a ct9B turbo I think it is locking at 2500rpm which is just before the turbo boost takes off from 2500 - 3000rpm.

Generally auto gearbox upgrades will mean a bigger torque convertor that locks up later.
Boosting strongly before lock up with a bigger convertor will use a lot of fuel to go nowhere so its worth getting the balance right. When torque is added lockup can come on sooner so I guess if the turbo has capacity to give an increase in torque this could be balanced with a slightly bigger torque convertor but if you want to keep drivability at around 2500 rpm and have big gains as well this will require modification as the car ( turbo ) has to keep torque high enough at low revs for drivablity and produce more power up top to take advantage of the bigger convertor.

Last edited:

lemonboi

Fresh Recruit
So what you are saying is I should add an additional oil cooler kit, something like Mocal? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't oil cooled via pipes through the radiator or that's not sufficient enough?

I am not realistically chasing any goal, I was just curious. Forgive my lack of knowledge as I am still learning. Thanks for the info Rev got me up to speed with some tranny news. That sounded so wrong lol :D

Rev

Member +
I haven't any info on extra cooling but the stock auto has a separate oil cooler in front of the radiator. having good auto box oil makes a big difference I recently put fully synthetic oil in the box and am very happy with the results.